Capcom Says No to Another Resident Evil 5 Controversy

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Run things past the PR department to make sure it's not going to offend anyone.
They do know for that to actually happen they will have to make everybody use squirt guns and replace all the zombies with people from a fool that want to get close to splash you?

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Run everything by them?

Shit. We're going to have a game where you shoot multicolor amorphous blobs.
The Amoebas will still cry racism.

As everyone else here, I think it is ridiculus. Do your game as you want it Capcom.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
Stein Inge said:
Xzi said:
But RE5 had black people coming out of straw huts and yelling "OOGA BOOGA!" Like some sort of blatantly racist early cartoons depicting them.
My favorite part was when they started chucking spears....
Which is not racist. It's reality. Man villiages still hunt with spears, live in such conditions ect, and like in the game, the kids notes will dress up like their ancestors to honor them.

Which if you look around some people still drink from wells, ride horses, and live fairly 200 years ago...

Difference?

Last I checked, Irish, Omish, and the like don't have greedy lawyer driven so called Rights Foundations stealing billions over fake claims of racism while being the biggest racist in the nation...

Xiorell

Jan 9, 2010
so if the lead character had been black too, no worries I take it?

Yeah people can fuck right off.

Pyotr Romanov

Jul 8, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Run everything by them?

Shit. We're going to have a game where you shoot multicolor amorphous blobs.
I love gelatine! I find that idea very offensive!

Whoa, I just realized a game in which you shoot at amorphous black blobs was revealed recently...

OT: No... Just no. I'm not even going say anything about how dumb the so called "racism" is. It's all been said before, and better.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
PC OTT....as per usual.

This whole thing really pissed me off.
It makes me angry just thinking about it.
If a game is set in Africa, the inhabitants are going to be black.
I don't have anything else to say...it makes me too annoyed.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
Aura Guardian said:
Remember folks. It's fine for a white cop(ish) person to kill Spaniards in Spain. But if a White cop kills Africans in Africa, its wrong.
Remember folks, if a black person kills a white person, it's murder. If a white person kills a black person, it's racism.

OP: The RE5 controversy is bullshit. Racism only exists if you want it to.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
I think some people might be over-simplifying the discussion. The issue was not that the zombies were black - the game is set in Africa, of course they're black - it was how the villagers, whether infected or not, were portrayed. I'm certain that Capcom didn't mean to, but it tapped into a lot of very old, racist imagery with the trailers it released, and that was what people were upset about.

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
Mornelithe said:
Is it racist to keep playing the racism card? Reverse-racism maybe? EVERYONE has to be included equally? Weak.
Reverse-racism? Wtf is that? When you are nicer to people of other races then your own?
Racism is racism plain and simple, aint no such thing as "reverse-racism".

OT: The whole racist claims was fucking bullshit and completley without merit. No ni-africans cared nor did the spaniards care. Its just about zombies for fucks sake, does their skincolour fricking matter?

Shooting westerners is okay but "the victim peoples" is wrong? The people who claimed that are racists... And trolls.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Seventh Actuality said:
-Samurai- said:
The only reason racism is alive is because people create it out of situations where there previously was none. The people keeping racism alive are the people that claim to oppose it.
Wow, were you trying to prove something other than the fact that you've never seen actual racism there? Just because your entire knowledge of a subject ends at the parade of reactionary OMG PC BRIGADE bullshit doesn't mean that's all there is to see.
I'm not even sure how to respond to the utter ignorance you spewed. When you're done trolling(horribly, I might add) and can do something other than state what you think someone you've never met knows, I'll happily discuss the topic with you.

Shoot me a PM when you get over yourself.

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
They wouldn't have complained if it was all white zombies. Remember it isn't racist to shoot white people with a black main character but it is racist to shoot black people if the character is white.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Whether or not it was "racist," And I don't know, it is good they're thinking before the next incident.

I don't really know the context of the RE racism claim, what went on in the game, so it's not my place to judge that. But surely, putting thought before action isn't bad.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
The Austin said:
Remember folks, if a black person kills a white person, it's murder. If a white person kills a black person, it's racism.
Sadly, you're right, or at least very close to being right. If a man kills another man, it's murder. If a man kills a homosexual man, it's a homophobic attack. It's ridiculous!

The Austin said:
Agreed. Well, I think that some people are racist and so forth, but a game like RE5 cannot be racist. It's like saying a game where you kill aliens is xenophobic or something stupid.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
The Austin said:
Aura Guardian said:
Remember folks. It's fine for a white cop(ish) person to kill Spaniards in Spain. But if a White cop kills Africans in Africa, its wrong.

More like Hate crime.
Logan Westbrook said:
I think some people might be over-simplifying the discussion. The issue was not that the zombies were black - the game is set in Africa, of course they're black - it was how the villagers, whether infected or not, were portrayed. I'm certain that Capcom didn't mean to, but it tapped into a lot of very old, racist imagery with the trailers it released, and that was what people were upset about.
They didn't mean to sure. But most of us didn't mind it when they did it in Resident Evil 4.

Stein Inge

Jun 9, 2009
Carlston said:
Stein Inge said:
Xzi said:
But RE5 had black people coming out of straw huts and yelling "OOGA BOOGA!" Like some sort of blatantly racist early cartoons depicting them.
My favorite part was when they started chucking spears....
Which is not racist. It's reality. Man villiages still hunt with spears, live in such conditions ect, and like in the game, the kids notes will dress up like their ancestors to honor them.
And if the spears used in RE5 looked even remotely like the ones used in real life, I wouldn´t think twice...
RE5´s whole depiction of Africa felt like a charicature. Not really racist but in pretty bad taste...

pretentiousname01

Sep 30, 2009
are.you.the.god.its.me.vader said:
As a speaker of the Zombie Awareness Society.

I find the Resident Evil games incredibly hurtful and offensive to zombies!

They deserve respect!
That would require recent games to have been about zombies.

So does this mean they're not gonna make re6? Cause that would be fantastic news.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
coldalarm said:
The Austin said:
Sadly, you're right, or at least very close to being right. If a man kills another man, it's murder. If a man kills a homosexual man, it's a homophobic attack. It's ridiculous!

The Austin said:
Agreed. Well, I think that some people are racist and so forth, but a game like RE5 cannot be racist. It's like saying a game where you kill aliens is xenophobic or something stupid.
My thoughts exactly.

A game where you kill Africans is racist, a game where you kill aliens is xenophobic, a game where you kill a homosexual is homophobic, a game where you kill white people is all in good fun.

It's bullshit.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
They truly didn't seem to care about having mistaken racism issues about 15 years ago. We all remember the Street Fighter II intro, don't we?