Capcom Says No to Another Resident Evil 5 Controversy

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
God, I'm so sick of the racism issue over this. Yes, I'm aware that this game has images that can be INTERPRETED as racism, what with the 'OOGA BOOGA' tribe and all that. But ask yourself this question: if this game took place in America, where you were a black man primarily shooting white zombies in a middle-class suburb, but then suddenly the setting changed to a Southern backwater swamp where you had to shoot horrible stereotypes of hicks and rednecks, would you consider that racist?

As Admiral Adama of the Battlestar Galactica once said at the UN (seriously, Edward James Olmos said this in a conference): "There is but one race on this planet, the HUMAN RACE. SO SAY WE ALL!"

Josh Kurber

Jul 5, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Run things past the PR department to make sure it's not going to offend anyone.
They do know for that to actually happen they will have to make everybody use squirt guns and replace all the zombies with people from a fool that want to get close to splash you?
lol or just remake Zombies Ate My Neighbors, with them having Michael Jackson werewolves and zombies that all apparently die from a squirt gun.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
Dfskelleton said:
They truly didn't seem to care about having mistaken racism issues about 15 years ago. We all remember the Street Fighter II intro, don't we?
This is exactly my point.

I know you are joking, but bear with me here: That was in no way racist. Just because a black guy got punched means nothing. If it were a black guy punching a white guy, it would be just fine, but a white guy punching a black guy? RACISM!

Iffat Nur

Aug 13, 2010
CSo let me get this straight.
In a game about zombies trying to do whatever they can to kill you, its not okay to show any race?
and its not like only blacks were in it. Play through the beginning hatas. It has Indians and Whites (I also think there was a middle eastern, and not the guy who give you the equipment in the first mission).

So,why arent THEY complaining?

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Carlston said:
Stein Inge said:
Xzi said:
But RE5 had black people coming out of straw huts and yelling "OOGA BOOGA!" Like some sort of blatantly racist early cartoons depicting them.
My favorite part was when they started chucking spears....
Which is not racist. It's reality. Man villiages still hunt with spears, live in such conditions ect, and like in the game, the kids notes will dress up like their ancestors to honor them.

Which if you look around some people still drink from wells, ride horses, and live fairly 200 years ago...

Difference?

Last I checked, Irish, Omish, and the like don't have greedy lawyer driven so called Rights Foundations stealing billions over fake claims of racism while being the biggest racist in the nation...
I'll be the word police and correct you. It is Amish not Omish. But what I really want to get at is how you lumped the Irish in with the Amish. I have seen greedy Irish, I'm half Irish and I can be greedy as anybody else. I have also seen normal greedy Irish. I have also heard of Irish lawyers, what you don't think the Irish have a court system? Come on, the Irish came up with one of the greediest mythical figures, Leprechauns, and how everybody wishes they could get their hands on the pots of gold. Yes I had to go off message with this, but your inclusion of the Irish comparing them to the Amish is just plain strange.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Amnestic said:
Capcom is adding an extra step to its game creation process after the criticism levelled at Resident Evil 5: Run things past the PR department to make sure it's not going to offend anyone.
Well I guess we're never seeing another Capcom game ever again.
Thank god Konami isn't doing this, or the French would get this game shut down ASAP. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYfHtRsbBsY]

AngryPuppy

Feb 18, 2010
Blind Sight said:
God, I'm so sick of the racism issue over this. Yes, I'm aware that this game has images that can be INTERPRETED as racism, what with the 'OOGA BOOGA' tribe and all that. But ask yourself this question: if this game took place in America, where you were a black man primarily shooting white zombies in a middle-class suburb, but then suddenly the setting changed to a Southern backwater swamp where you had to shoot horrible stereotypes of hicks and rednecks, would you consider that racist?
Leave left 4 Dead 2 outta this Bubba!

gunningyoudown

Jul 1, 2009
Its Racist not to have a black person in a video game and it racist ti black people in a video game, and its racist to have a black person kill another black person. but its ok to kill and slaughter white people... W.T.F is with this?

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Right, so in the next game we're going to make sure that you only kill white people. No matter where you are in the world, the only enemies to kill are white people.

Because denying that other races exist is so much better for our PR.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
Stein Inge said:
Carlston said:
Stein Inge said:
Xzi said:
But RE5 had black people coming out of straw huts and yelling "OOGA BOOGA!" Like some sort of blatantly racist early cartoons depicting them.
Which is not racist. It's reality. Man villiages still hunt with spears, live in such conditions ect, and like in the game, the kids notes will dress up like their ancestors to honor them.
And if the spears used in RE5 looked even remotely like the ones used in real life, I wouldn´t think twice...
RE5´s whole depiction of Africa felt like a charicature. Not really racist but in pretty bad taste...
There point is...does it really matter? And the spears used were relics the villagers used in celebration on holidays (see kids journal)

The point is why do they listen to them spew whining bullshit every chance they get and threaten lawsuits they can never win.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
Sonic Doctor said:
Carlston said:
Stein Inge said:
Xzi said:

Which if you look around some people still drink from wells, ride horses, and live fairly 200 years ago...

Difference?

Last I checked, Irish, Omish, and the like don't have greedy lawyer driven so called Rights Foundations stealing billions over fake claims of racism while being the biggest racist in the nation...
I'll be the word police and correct you. It is Amish not Omish. But what I really want to get at is how you lumped the Irish in with the Amish. I have seen greedy Irish, I'm half Irish and I can be greedy as anybody else. I have also seen normal greedy Irish. I have also heard of Irish lawyers, what you don't think the Irish have a court system? Come on, the Irish came up with one of the greediest mythical figures, Leprechauns, and how everybody wishes they could get their hands on the pots of gold. Yes I had to go off message with this, but your inclusion of the Irish comparing them to the Amish is just plain strange.
I'm just plain strange, and for a spell checker, my bio states why i no longer care.

But i liken it to how black protested linked RE5 with white racism when it was made by the Japanese.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
Then that must mean that Saints Row 2 is racist because you can make a black character and choose to kill only white people, right?

I hate racism as much as is possible, but we've all got to realize that racism applies to all people, not just one group of people; and that situations where the major population of the area is one skin color, and a person of a minor skin color comes in and wreaks havoc in said area, isn't generally racist unless it's blatantly supposed to be.

For instance:

Resident Evil 5. Not racist.

Suppose a game came out called 'Klansman goes to Africa'. That would be incredibly fucking racist. Why? Because it's meant to be.

You can't make a claim based off of a suspicion or a vague implication, I'm afraid.

ironlordthemad

Sep 25, 2009
Broken Blade said:
Oh good. Well, good luck finding something that won't potentially offend someone, Capcom. You're about as likely to find Noah's Ark on the surface of the moon.

The whole thing was ridiculous anyway.
^ This is the Quote of the Thread.

Seriously, if we are all made equal then its only right that everyone can be shot regardless of their situation, race, colour or creed.

SsilverR

Feb 26, 2009
Xzi said:
Aura Guardian said:
Remember folks. It's fine for a white cop(ish) person to kill Spaniards in Spain. But if a White cop kills Africans in Africa, its wrong.
It's not so much that he simply killed black people as it was the way they were portrayed on some levels.

RE4 didn't have Spaniard zombies dancing around sombreros, or sleeping and selling oranges on street corners.

Do I think they intended to be racist, though? No. I'm with Yahtzee on this one, I think they're just idiots. Completely oblivious to the the impact they might have with certain content.
are you saying that there AREN'T any black warrior tribes in africa?

Stein Inge

Jun 9, 2009
Carlston said:
Stein Inge said:
Carlston said:
Stein Inge said:
Xzi said:
And if the spears used in RE5 looked even remotely like the ones used in real life, I wouldn´t think twice...
RE5´s whole depiction of Africa felt like a charicature. Not really racist but in pretty bad taste...
There point is...does it really matter? And the spears used were relics the villagers used in celebration on holidays (see kids journal)

The point is why do they listen to them spew whining bullshit every chance they get and threaten lawsuits they can never win.
It doesn´t matter at all. Its just that when I played through that part of the game I felt like I had stepped out of a fairly decent game and into the early strips of "The Phantom". And if you can show me a genuine african spear that looked like that, you WILL get a cookie!

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
Xzi said:
-Samurai- said:
The only reason racism is alive is because people create it out of situations where there previously was none. The people keeping racism alive are the people that claim to oppose it.
Lol that's complete bull. If you think racism is dead, you have never been to the South.
People who say shit like this have probably never been to the South either. Jackass.

I met more racists in short stint upstate NY than I ever have in my many years south of the Mason-Dixon.

VirusHunter

Nov 19, 2009
I kept trying to think of something to put in the comments but I just give up. I don't think there is any sort of racism when it comes to imagery of someone from one race attacking those of another race. We've seen it all the time in video games and movies. I don't think there was any racism in the fact that there were african tribal people in the game as african tribes still exist and not all the black people in the game were tribal people. Some were casual looking peeps from a modern era and one of them was a highly skilled anti-bioterrorism agent.

And that's all I have to say. If you think otherwise, I'm not going to stop you from quoting me but don't expect me to change my views.