Car Accident Takes the Life of Actor Paul Walker

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Epic_Bubble said:
Super Not Cosmo said:
So, anyway, here's a pic of the accident scene courtesy of TMZ. Apparently that pile of rubble with a Porsche wheel in it is the car he died in.
As tragic as this story is a question needs to be raised..... How does billions of dollars into engineering for car safety and strength get beaten by the humble wood bearing tree? Is this GTA physics at work?

Geez the irony is strong
Billions in car safety? The fucking things are made of plastic nowadays, and they don't even have real bumpers anymore.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
hot-soup said:
Who the hell cares? Write about the hundreds if not thousands of "No-names" that die every day from starvation, plague or anything other than he and his friend probably being jackasses in the car, driving far too fast.

God damn I hate articles like this... Hypocrisy all the way! Everyone here thinks this way but everyone is afraid to say anything because they do not want to be banned or get a warning...

Man up people! He deserved it!
Damn dude you're so edgy, think I cut my finger off all that edge.

Of course he deserved it. I mean how dare he....drive.....?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Epic_Bubble said:
As tragic as this story is a question needs to be raised..... How does billions of dollars into engineering for car safety and strength get beaten by the humble wood bearing tree? Is this GTA physics at work?
Nope. Just simple, normal, non-Hollywood physics.

Most cars are designed to crush to reduce the danger of a crash. Get one of those fuckers fast enough, and they can literally wrap themselves around a tree.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
On the first day of Christmas Hollywood gave to me... an actor wrapped around a tree?

The jokes write themselves here.

Will Orlando Bloom be killed in an archery accident? Vin Diesel falls down a flight of stairs in the dark? Hugh Laurie overdoses on prescription medicine?

Sucks he's dead but after looking at those pictures I can't help but think this was caused by reckless driving... at least they hit a tree and not pedestrians.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
hot-soup said:
Who the hell cares? Write about the hundreds if not thousands of "No-names" that die every day from starvation, plague or anything other than he and his friend probably being jackasses in the car, driving far too fast.

God damn I hate articles like this... Hypocrisy all the way! Everyone here thinks this way but everyone is afraid to say anything because they do not want to be banned or get a warning...

Those average no-names don't make impacts on people through media and charity events. Haven't seen a single movie this guy was in but he's probably done more for the average person than anyone on this forum ever will, so no, I don't think he deserved it.

Unless somebody is actually driving the car and is acting like a right twat I don't know if I'd say anyone deserves to die in a random car crash. So maybe show a little empathy for someone who in forty years of life has helped more people than we will in our entire lifetimes combined.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
was scheduled to take over the lead role in an upcoming reboot of the Hitman film series. Unfortunately, we'll never get to see Mr. Walker's interpretation of Agent 47
Well, at least there is some good to come out of this. Not really worth a life though. It's got to be weird for the people editing the movie he was just filming too, although it isn't the first time someone has died before something was finish (Bruce Lee for example).

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
shrekfan246 said:
hot-soup said:

stormeris said:
Pretty much this

Hundreds... Thousands of people die in car accidents every day, heck, most of them are innocent bystanders and not the ones behind the wheel of a speeding vehicle.

But the person that died just happens to be famous, everyone loses their shit and starts weeping condolences.
False equivalencies everywhere in these two posts.

The reason people will pour out sympathy for this guy and not for "Joe Montana, 45, of Ohio" is because this guy is someone who actually has presence outside of his local town. I would hope that if a story about some random schmuck passing away came to light on the internet for some reason, it would garner the same about of sympathy, because at least then I'd be able to start proving my theory of "No empathy on the internet ever about anything" wrong; A theory which you two are only helping to bolster, by the way.

My sympathies go out to his family and friends as well. Want to know the kicker? Before yesterday I'd never even heard of the guy, because I haven't seen a Fast & Furious film or anything else he's ever been in. So no, it's not because he "just happens to be famous", it's because another human being died, and that's a terrible thing.
All of this.

My cousin's girlfriend died six weeks ago. She spent her summer doing voluntary work at animal sanctuaries. She was studying to get back into college (I helped her with the maths bit). She was helping another cousin move out; she went to bed, had a pulmonary embolism and was probably dead within five minutes. She was 18.

And outside of family, friends and a couple of local people who knew her, pretty much nobody gave a shit. I guarantee that not one starving child in Africa gave a damn, and why would they? She had no presence out there.

We cared. People in her presence cared. Actors and such have larger presences than most, so more people are likely to feel something.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I can't say I followed him at all beyond the Fast and Furious movies, but I grew to really enjoy those and was eagerly awaiting the next installment. He may not have been the most gifted actor around, but he clearly did seem to excel in specific roles that were suited to his abilities.

I guess you could say that being around a charity event and dying in a vehicle accident might be "dying doing what you love" but it's still very unfortunate, especially given his age and the family he leaves behind.

Sad news to be sure. :(

GeneralBigG

Environmentalist Clarksonian
Jun 26, 2012
hot-soup said:

stormeris said:
Pretty much this

Hundreds... Thousands of people die in car accidents every day, heck, most of them are innocent bystanders and not the ones behind the wheel of a speeding vehicle.

But the person that died just happens to be famous, everyone loses their shit and starts weeping condolences.
I wondered how long it would be before the death hipsters turned up.

"I don't have any sympathy for this guys family because that would be too mainstream."

"I mourn thousands of peoples deaths, you've just probably never heard of them..."

Thank you for letting us all know how much better than us you all are, because instead of having sympathy for one guys family, you have sympathy for THOUSANDS!

OT: SO sad, my condolences go out to his family, they must be heartbroken. Always a tragedy when someone dies needlessly young.

That said:
I guess that's the definition of the word.... Irrrooooonnyyyyy!

I'm gonna burn in hell, aren't I?

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Okay, it's been a day since this. Time for the horrible puns!

I guess he died as he lived.

Shouldn'ta been so fast or furious.

I hope his death was fast, because that is one furiously smashed car.

Maybe this time he should have followed his surname rather than his movies.

Ayup, 1st class ticket on the highway to hell booked.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
What I find most "interesting" about this, is the sheer amount of people pointing out that it's ironic he died in a car crash and/or use the
> pun "Too Fast too Furious" like it's a: not glaringly obvious and every 5 year old could of come up with that one (and probably has) - b: like it is actually that ironic (like people who've made films about guns, haven't been shot, or others that made films about cars haven't died in a car crash etc.) - c: a million other people won't have pointed it out already, because it is just that obvious a thing to say - d: somehow makes them funny and really needs sharing with the world.

Just like the post above mine, basically. Look - feels the need to use the "Too Fast..." line (wishing it was a pun) even though like 10 others have said exactly the same thing...

Shows you the intelligence/creativity of people who tend to post online.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
spoonybard.hahs said:
EHKOS said:
Phrozenflame500 said:
Josh Engen said:
Earlier today, actor Paul Walker, who is most recognizable from his work in The Fast and the Furious, died in a car accident in Southern California.
God dammit universe, stop making be laugh at people dying.

RIP
I know, the irony is fucking insane. And I feel like a dick for saying this, but I feel a sigh of relief that maybe they'll stop making FF movies. WE WERE GOOD AFTER 2, THANKS GUYS.
They made one [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fast_and_the_Furious#Characters] without him. And at the time of its release, it was the highest grossing out of the franchise. I doubt they will stop the series because one actor died. Especially since they were already planning number eight well before his death.
I know but it broke the atmosphere. And it just seems like they're milking the franchise, but I haven't seen any after four, so I suppose I should check the others out to be fair to it. I just assumed it was like Assassin's Creed and CoD.

I will remember fondly the tuna scene and the part where he hands Dom the keys at the end. R.I.P.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I liked the first movie, yeah. The rest were totesterone-fueled bilge.

I don't believe any loss of human life is good; even if you're a murderer/rapist/identity-thief/kidnapper, you deserve the worst fate, but not death.

His family has my condolensces.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Mam, what's up with the influx of generally shitty people on the Escapist?

And yes people, we get it. A star of a car movie has died in a car crash. Now you can stop repeating "IRONY!" 3 pages in.

OT: I was only recently warming up to the F&F series with the last installment. My condolences to his family.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
MonkeyPunch said:
What I find most "interesting" about this, is the sheer amount of people pointing out that it's ironic he died in a car crash and/or use the
> pun "Too Fast too Furious" like it's a: not glaringly obvious and every 5 year old could of come up with that one (and probably has) - b: like it is actually that ironic (like people who've made films about guns, haven't been shot, or others that made films about cars haven't died in a car crash etc.) - c: a million other people won't have pointed it out already, because it is just that obvious a thing to say - d: somehow makes them funny and really needs sharing with the world.

Just like the post above mine, basically. Look - feels the need to use the "Too Fast..." line (wishing it was a pun) even though like 10 others have said exactly the same thing...

Shows you the intelligence/creativity of people who tend to post online.
Criticizing others people post without actually providing anything else but said critical analysis is not exactly creative.

But anyways, RIP, as much as i hate his acting a man doesn't deserve to die for that, so i am actually sad about his death.

The Feast

Apr 5, 2013
The most upsetting thing is that people like to make fun with everybody's demise these days. You get used to death so you make joke about it? Trust me, when your time comes, you don't even dare to laugh...

Sep 14, 2009
Super Not Cosmo said:
Hazzard said:
Looking at the car in the picture above, I doubt they can even get a body out of that. The car looks like some sort of amalgamated mess. I'd have thought that it would rip straight through the tree.
You don't give trees nearly enough credit. In the many clashes of tree vs car it's a rare thing to see a tree lose. On a related note trees are pretty damn good at the game of Chicken too.
true, most cars these days are built to crunch/compact in accidents, back in the day if you had a nice car you could fucking destroy a tree.

OT: sad story, although they had to have been going pretty damn fast for the car to look like that, let alone have it catch fire.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
I guess a lot of the people in this thread are just 2edgy4me! :D

Nobody's asking you to take a day in mourning and cry about it, but for fuck's sake, people need to stop massaging their pseudo-intellectualism boners by shitting on the death of someone just because he's famous.

This isn't /b/, people. Talking out of your ass isn't prerequisite.