Car Accident Takes the Life of Actor Paul Walker

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
The Feast said:
The most upsetting thing is that people like to make fun with everybody's demise these days. You get used to death so you make joke about it? Trust me, when your time comes, you don't even dare to laugh...
Surely when my time comes I won't be able to laugh? On account of being dead and all that.

Dec 14, 2009
Huh, what's wrong with the Escapist today?

Let me just search for something...

>EMPATHY.EXE
>FILE NOT FOUND

Ah, well, that explains that. Stay classy Escapists ¬_¬

My sympathies for the man's loved ones, rest in piece.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Oh wow... that sucks. My condolences to his family and fellow actors.

(No, I'm not going to make a joke about irony. It's too soon. And anyone who makes fun of this situation... screw you.)

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
GeneralBigG said:
I wondered how long it would be before the death hipsters turned up.

"I don't have any sympathy for this guys family because that would be too mainstream."

"I mourn thousands of peoples deaths, you've just probably never heard of them..."
I loathe these people so much, it is somehow edgy to not care about someone dying because people you have absolutely no connection to have also died.

MonkeyPunch said:
What I find most "interesting" about this, is the sheer amount of people pointing out that it's ironic he died in a car crash and/or use the pun "Too Fast too Furious" like it's a: not glaringly obvious and every 5 year old could of come up with that one (and probably has)
Shows you the intelligence/creativity of people who tend to post online.
You're completely right, it isn't funny or intelligent at all, hopefully they're just doing it to cope with the inevitability and unpredictability of death. It isn't ironic at all that he died like this, he rode in and drove fast cars all the time, it's surprising this didn't happen sooner, honestly. It would be pretty much the same as calling it ironic that a soldier died on a battlefield, it's what they fucking do and it is fucking dangerous, comes with the territory.

Paul had a good life though, absolutely no denying that, 40 years is too soon but it is still a decent run, I'm sure he'd be the first to say "live fast, die young."

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
hot-soup said:
Who the hell cares? Write about the hundreds if not thousands of "No-names" that die every day from starvation, plague or anything other than he and his friend probably being jackasses in the car, driving far too fast.

God damn I hate articles like this... Hypocrisy all the way! Everyone here thinks this way but everyone is afraid to say anything because they do not want to be banned or get a warning...

Man up people! He deserved it!
Make a side account to post this because you are scared that you will get warning. Go ahead and read that text I bolded for you I think that will clear some things up.

OT: He was a good man, and I had the pleasure of meeting him and chilling with him once. He was really laid back, we mostly just smoked and played video games. (I didn't even know who he was until he told me he was an actor XD)

Yelchor

Aug 30, 2009
Alfador_VII said:
Oh come on, don't blame the car for the accident when it's clearly the driver that's at fault.

That's right up there with blaming videogames for everything.
I was merely speculating. I'll reserve judgement until all the facts of the incident are made public.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
Neronium said:
I would rephrase the statement as this:

People in California do not know how to drive.

In this state, nobody knows how to stop (there is a reason it's called a "Californian roll"), how to use roundabouts ("oh god, what is this round thing? Do I turn left? Right? Can I drive over it?), how to yield ("It's only a suggestion"), or how to follow the speed limit ("But officer, I was only going ten miles faster!")

The last one is important, because, when we are not caught in the grid lock of "rush hour," nobody follows the posted speed limits, unless we see a cop. In normal weather conditions, this isn't really a problem.

In the rain, all bets are off.
Whoops, I thought that I had put "don't know how to" my bad. Believe me I know that no one down here knows how to drive down here in Southern California. I live down here in Chula Vista and have seen many crashes in my day.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Well, this desperately needs to be posted.

The fact that he starred in movies about cars and died in a car crash is COINCIDENTAL, not ironic. Get it right, guys.

Anyway, that sucks. Apparently, he was a pretty good person. My sympathy to those that knew him.

EDIT: Also, a lot of jokes that people are calling puns are actually not puns. They're just references to his movies. If there's no wordplay involved, then its not a pun.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
Josh Engen said:
Earlier today, actor Paul Walker, who is most recognizable from his work in The Fast and the Furious, died in a car accident in Southern California.
There's irony in there, somewhere.

At any rate, condolences to those affected. Death is not a funny subject matter, especially when it happens to someone in his prime.

Edit:
Robot Number V said:
The fact that he starred in movies about cars and died in a car crash is COINCIDENTAL, not ironic. Get it right, guys.
So I guess I'm supposed to ignore all of these additional definitions for the term Irony?

Merriam-Webster said:
Full Definition of IRONY
: a pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another assumed in order to make the other's false conceptions conspicuous by adroit questioning ?called also Socratic irony
a : the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning
b : a usually humorous or sardonic literary style or form characterized by irony
c : an ironic expression or utterance
a (1) : incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result (2) : an event or result marked by such incongruity
b : incongruity between a situation developed in a drama and the accompanying words or actions that is understood by the audience but not by the characters in the play ?called also dramatic irony, tragic irony
See irony defined for English-language learners »
See irony defined for kids »
The fact that the man played in a movie about death defying car stunts and then died in a car accident is coincidental, yes, but it also makes it ironic. Words are not Black and White, when it comes to definition.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
Objectable said:
The worst part is, FF7 is still in filming. For reference, this is like Robert Downey Jr. dying before the Filming of Avengers 2 is done.
Guess it's just me thinking you meant Final Fantasy 7.

wasn't ever a fan of Fast and Furious but it sucks that he's dead.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
While I had only watched the first film only (not a car person myself) but I do respect him enough in that he was a good guy in that his face never shown up in some scandal nor his private life was like an open book to the media unlike some other celebrities out there. Heck, he was in the car to go to his charity event pior to his death!
Anyway that is indeed too young to died and I hoped his daughter will be ok.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
As sad as it is, it's kind of ironic, isn't it? I mean, it's like a singer being crushed by a piano or a miner having a stroke while playing Minecraft. It's weird, but you get a bit of a chuckle out of it.

Robot Number V said:
Well, this desperately needs to be posted.

That's only verbal irony. There are more kinds, like situational and dramatic irony. An example of situational irony is a smoker deciding to quit after noticing all the negative effects it's having on him and then he's hit by a car (or to make it doubly ironic, an ambulance). It's ironic because he's killed after making a decision to save his life and in the case of the ambulance, he was killed by a vehicle designed to save lives. Dramatic irony simply means the audience knowing something that the characters do not, such as Viola being disguised as Cesario in Twelfth Night. Sorry, I just really like Shakespeare and his work is loaded with this kind of stuff.

This situation is ironic because in the work he's most famous for, he drives cars incredibly dangerously while suffering little to no physical harm. In the movies, the things that bring provide his income, happiness and a sense of purpose are what killed him in real life.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Yuuki said:
Phrozenflame500 said:
Josh Engen said:
Earlier today, actor Paul Walker, who is most recognizable from his work in The Fast and the Furious, died in a car accident in Southern California.
God dammit universe, stop making be laugh at people dying.

RIP
TwoSidesOneCoin said:
Glad I'm not the only asshole in the world that made that connection.

RIP.
EHKOS said:
I know, the irony is fucking insane. And I feel like a dick for saying this, but I feel a sigh of relief that maybe they'll stop making FF movies. WE WERE GOOD AFTER 2, THANKS GUYS.
Oh trust me, the puns/jokes aren't going to stop. If there's one thing true about the internet, it's that there's no such thing as "too soon".

But that shouldn't stop us from feeling sympathy for the man's family, especially his daughter :(
We can weep for the man and still celebrate what he did when he was alive.
His family will miss him. on the other side of that coin where can I find that gif?

Atary77

Feb 27, 2008
My thoughts go out to his family in the hope they will be able to make it through this tragic loss.

Dec 16, 2009
i really find it difficult to sympathise about someone killed, speeding at a speed that would do that to a car. you'd have little control, I'm just glad no innocent bystanders were hurt.
yes i'm aware he didnt drive, he was a passenger, but there is some responsibility to the passengers in these situations, just like being the passenger of a drunk driver.

and although i say that, and although all the comments on FB are annoying the hell out of me, i do feel sorry for his family, especially his daughter.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
stormeris said:
But the person that died just happens to be famous, everyone loses their shit and starts weeping condolences.
Weeping condolences? There's been like 20 jokes and a GIF already!

Besides, it's news because this site covers the types of things he's involved with. It's a gaming and other entertainment site. Not a: there's starving people in Africa site.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Epic_Bubble said:
As tragic as this story is a question needs to be raised..... How does billions of dollars into engineering for car safety and strength get beaten by the humble wood bearing tree? Is this GTA physics at work?
Billions of years of evolution produced the tree. It's tough, solid and flexible, perfect for withstanding blunt impacts or storms with a wide and deep network of roots anchoring it in place. A car meanwhile is just thin sheets of metal and probably not our most durable metals either.