Catherine Review

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Well, seems interesting enough to import, if also a bit tamer than I'd have thought. Although I suppose with the effect of nightmares weaving into reality, and the apparent overall weirdness factor of it, it could approach something like Chaos;Head.

Being used to visual novel gameplay (i.e. text game choices), and not much of a puzzle player anyway, I'll probably go with the easy setting initially and see if it's satisfactory. I can appreciate the idea of it adding tension and frustration to deepen the understanding of the protagonist's state of mind - which is some solid mixing of story and gameplay that we need to see more of - but from what I've seen the gameplay in itself doesn't seem inspired enough that'll I'd want to have to go through endless retries of it.

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Sounds good. Any sign of an EU release yet? I've searched on the google-tubes, and it seems every other result gives a different answer.
Shame, I've been looking forward to this for quite a while. It seems really good!
If this Joystiq article is to be believed, then Deep Silver will be publishing it, however there is no concrete release window yet. Which sucks.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/22/catherine-heading-to-europe-with-deep-silver/

OT: Catherine looks...um...interesting to say the least. If the puzzles are good, together with that amazing animation and crazy storyline, then I might have just found my next 'definite game to buy'. Provided it gets an EU release before next year anyway...

face_head_mouth

Sep 16, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Augmented Conscious said:
Here's hoping ZP gives Catherine a run through...
Yahtzee will hate the shit out of it. It's got anime. He'll hate it. Period. Wouldn't matter if the game dispensed blowjobs (not to say that it isn't going to inspire a massive hentai following). He hates anime with a flaming passion. Therefore, he will hate this game.
I'm inclined to believe he'll be somewhat sympathetic towards it. From what I've seen, it's a game with an emphasis on characters and storytelling built with a single-player experience in mind. Yahtzee also favors originality and games that tackle unusual subject matter. I don't think he hates anime itself as much as he hates the anime-derived JRPG character designs (especially regarding angst-ridden teenagers in ridiculous clothing, which this game doesn't seem to have). He also likes horror (especially disturbing imagery) and surrealism, both of which this game has in abundance. Finally, he enjoys puzzles (he even liked Peggle, although grudgingly).

I mean, I can hear some of the criticisms he might have in my head already (possibly about the two types of gameplay being separated by a "wrought-iron fence made of tigers" and the "douche-bag" protagonist) but I can't see him hating it outright.

Oh yeah, I'm personally really excited to play this game myself.

HarmanSmith

Aug 12, 2009
From the perspective of somebody who has actually bought and made it about halfway through the game...

The real hook behind Catherine's story is that it was designed for MATURE audiences. Not Mortal Kombat/Call of Duty mature, but grown-up, paying your own bills, balancing your checkbook mature. If you get off on space marines and headshots, then this isn't the game for you; go play something else. If you're like me, however, and play games because they tell great stories and challenge you, then this is definitely worth your money.

Also, don't say this game is easy just because you made it through the demo. Some of the levels are fiendishly, yes fiendishly, difficult. You will replay levels a lot, and they will only get harder as you go. For me, the difficulty only made me want to try harder just to find out what happens next. I really care about Vincent's plight, primarily because his character is very human in his thoughts and actions. It really feels like he's reacting to his situation the way a real person would.

Overall, this game does what it sets out to do extremely well; the story is engaging, the gameplay is cerebral and challenging, and it has earned its place as one of my favorite games even though I haven't even finished it yet. Really, my only problem with the game is Katherine (Vince's girlfriend) is a little too much of a *****. I would have preferred if they had given her a slightly nicer personality. Regardless, it's good. Get it.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I had to move the player back to make sure I really did see a butt monster, and I sure wasn't seeing things!

I'm super excited that Catherine is finally here, quirkiness and all! I've been waiting for this game for quite a while and I'm definitely getting it right after work.
Shooting love out her vajayjay, yep. Creepiest goddamn thing I've seen in years.
Don't go to 4chan.

Grey Carter said:
So. After reading this... well... what is there to say?

This review are bias.
You are bias.
It's a review, they're not all the same. After reading this, I looked over at Metacritic, and there were higher scores than this on for the game. Out of the 11 reviews on there, 10 were positive. That's 11/12 reviews, so I'd say most reviewers enjoyed the game, despite, or perhaps because, of the weirdness. I say it the way I did because it seems that Russ and Metacritic had a bit of a falling out over NCAA 12.

EDIT:I actually happened to love Vincent's guest spot in Persona 3 portable. It didn't feel out of place.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Just got the game a couple hours ago. Looks like it is going to rock, but I am going to hold off on playing it for now. I have a rather large backlog of games to finish (including Planescape Torment, The Witcher, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC), so I hope to get at least one of those done first... Also, I am totally starting this game on easy.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
I'll definitely rent this as soon as I have the time. Or buy it if it's not stocked anywhere, which seems somehow likely.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Edit: Also, Catherine being high pitched, but not totally annoying? Sounds familiar. The voice actor for Rise from P4 voices her.
Laura Bailey is awesome, don't ya think? (Don't even get me started on Troy Baker. Woo!)

I got my copy today, but haven't been able to play. I'm dyiiiiiing to play!
>> Totally setting it to Normal now though...just in case.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
AbstractStream said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Edit: Also, Catherine being high pitched, but not totally annoying? Sounds familiar. The voice actor for Rise from P4 voices her.
Laura Bailey is awesome, don't ya think? (Don't even get me started on Troy Baker. Woo!)

I got my copy today, but haven't been able to play. I'm dyiiiiiing to play!
>> Totally setting it to Normal now though...just in case.
Yeah,Normal is still hard as hell.
I got my deluxe edition today (Fuck Amazon,you're fast!) and I'm currently wearing the "Empty" shirt that came with it. I'm on stage 4 already which means I'm halfway there.

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
I'd rather not touch this one. I loathe cheaters and I never cared for puzzle games. I might look up the plot later when someone writes it online. I don't have enough interest to actually see it play out on my television.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
MetaKnight19 said:
hazabaza1 said:
Sounds good. Any sign of an EU release yet? I've searched on the google-tubes, and it seems every other result gives a different answer.
Shame, I've been looking forward to this for quite a while. It seems really good!
If this Joystiq article is to be believed, then Deep Silver will be publishing it, however there is no concrete release window yet. Which sucks.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/22/catherine-heading-to-europe-with-deep-silver/

OT: Catherine looks...um...interesting to say the least. If the puzzles are good, together with that amazing animation and crazy storyline, then I might have just found my next 'definite game to buy'. Provided it gets an EU release before next year anyway...
Omigoshomigoshomigoshomigoshomigosh. Yes. Yes! Yes! Fina-fucking-ly a definitive yes on an EU release. Whoohoo! I have nothing to contribute. I'm just really happy right now. I checked with my local store today and they said they didn't know whether it would be released here. Oh, man. Gonna have to keep track of these Deep Silver people. I want my game. *squeal*

Feb 8, 2009
I started on easy. And I've died a ton of times. If I didn't have all of these extra retrys, i would probably throw something at my tv. Great game, but challenging. I've loved every second of it. Except for the seconds where I die.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
You know, this looks like a good game. Mature in ways most games wouldn't even dream on touching, and the visual style is great to boot. I'd buy it right now, if not for the fact my budget it severarly limited, I have to take into account every penny I spend. More because I dont' have a job and I'm spunging... but I try not to live otuside my means either.

I'd still like to buy a copy of it some day, new, so the game company actually gets the cash from me, instead of gamestop taking off the top of the resale. Ironic since I might get a job there...

Mister Linton

Mar 11, 2011
Wow, this looks even more stupid than I had imagined. Thanks for the good review, I'll be sure to avoid this idiocy like the plague.

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
I just finished the demo earlier today. I am definitely picking this up at some point. Hooray for weirdness and fiendishly difficult puzzles!

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Hagi said:
Don't think I'll ever play this game.

I have an irrational hatred for cheating and the spineless bastards who do it.

Vincent sounds like a guy who I'd genuinely hate, and there aren't many of those.
This game looks good but I have to side with you. I've just read way too many stories around Dorks who don't have any guts and always make the wrong decisions.