Catholics, Buddhists Join Hindu Protests Against Smite

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
I said it before but I'll say it again. People have been using religious works out of context and down right mutilating it in order to create a fictional environment since well before any of us were born. Not even dead religions like the Norse Gods or the Roman pantheon (arguably not even dead since Nova Roma exists), but everything from Buddhism to Zoroastrianism. Look at shows like Supernatural or any number of other media that portray religious figures in a way that doesn't respect their core aspects.

Making them punch each other in the face is no different. I'm not going to say they are wrong for being offended even though I don't understand it, but its not exactly new and there isn't really any reason to think that it should be stopped.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Because Smite is totally the first game to "trivialise" different gods. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with these people.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Azuaron said:
lots of text
It is my right to say anything, including to ask someone else to shut up. Is it my right to MAKE them shut up? No. But it sure as hell is my right to suggest someone shut up.

Guess what. You called me out on something. That is your right. I am not going to protest against people calling me out on contradictory statements or anything else. Also if you think that makes you a jerk enjoy being a jerk the rest of you life because people make ALLOT of mistakes.

You weren't a jackass, you were someone who saw something he could argue against and did. If you think that makes you an incentive person you are quite far away from being right. In fact you are quite close to losing your right to speak freely seeing as if you offend someone that makes you feel bad.

However sometimes things need to be pointed out. Like here it needs to be pointed out that first of all there are multiple religions here that contradict each other joining forces to protect "religion" in general when in fact each of those religions is a living breathing insult to the other because it claims to be the one true religion and members of those religions often openly mock each other.

We have a pastor saying religion is a fundamental in the US, when in fact the constitution did it's utter best to keep religion from attaining a special position.

That sir is the true hypocrisy, which deserves to be called out with a strong suggestion they stuff it where the sun don't shine.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

The escapist is a very hateful group. This is like just wow.

Xannidel

Feb 16, 2011
I am not religious but this is silly, this is not the first time Gods from other religions have been in a video game and I highly doubt it will be the last. This seems kind of like a cry for attention or something like that.

Russirishican

Feb 9, 2011
10$ Says the Catholic guy is going to get ridiculed by another Catholic for cooperating with a religion that isn't the "right" one.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Huh. It's interesting to note the mindset of the posters here. Lots of people seem to not understand the active role many religions teach followers. You don't bury your head in the sand when you see something bad, you go out and try and fix it. What people think is 'bad' varies of course but the idea of going out and righting wrong is the reason religious groups do speak out against things they see as bad. It sounds like many people here are demanding that they not speak there minds and instead be quiet. If you protest racism or sexism you're a hero. If you protest based on religious beliefs you need to shut up. Maybe I'm just wrong though. I'm sure someone will quote me and tell me why.

Anyways... I can appreciate both sides of the argument. The developers most likely don't see the problem since they don't think its belittling anyone while the protesters see this as an inherent offense since you're putting their God into a game and making him into a character to bash virtual avatars with.
Personally, I don't have an issue with it. If they took my God, for example: Jesus has been in worse things and so long as its not maliciously done I don't care. I can see how many people would be offended though since it does reduce something that is inherently unknowable and beyond us into a simple game of rock-em-sock-em robots.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Religious figures trying to supress free-speech? Well thats just preposterous!

Next you'll be telling me the Muslims get all uppity when someone even talks about drawing an image of their prophet.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
On the one hand, it's really cool that Catholics are getting along and teaming up with Hindus.

On the OTHER hand, why are the Catholics complaining? Hi Rez has not put ANY abrahamic religious figures in the game. Yet.

I think they mentioned that they were considering Lucifer/The Devil/Satan/etc.

But even so, I'm Christian, and I couldn't give two shits if they put Jesus and Satan in a game. It's not like that somehow harms me or changes what I believe in any way.

Twilight_guy said:
Huh. It's interesting to note the mindset of the posters here. Lots of people seem to not understand the active role many religions teach followers. You don't bury your head in the sand when you see something bad, you go out and try and fix it. What people think is 'bad' varies of course but the idea of going out and righting wrong is the reason religious groups do speak out against things they see as bad. It sounds like many people here are demanding that they not speak there minds and instead be quiet. If you protest racism or sexism you're a hero. If you protest based on religious beliefs you need to shut up. Maybe I'm just wrong though. I'm sure someone will quote me and tell me why.

Anyways... I can appreciate both sides of the argument. The developers most likely don't see the problem since they don't think its belittling anyone while the protesters see this as an inherent offense since you're putting their God into a game and making him into a character to bash virtual avatars with.
Personally, I don't have an issue with it. If they took my God, for example: Jesus has been in worse things and so long as its not maliciously done I don't care. I can see how many people would be offended though since it does reduce something that is inherently unknowable and beyond us into a simple game of rock-em-sock-em robots.
Wow.

That was incredibly straight to the point and correct.

Everybody, listen to this man (or woman?)

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Christ, they treat depictions of their gods like they're sacred or something.

;)

gim73

Jul 17, 2008
antipunt said:
I'm still waiting for Jesus and his Cross-Cannon
I believe one Nicolas D. Wolfwood took up the cross cannon and brought his messege to the dessert.

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
Revnak said:
I... I feel so odd about this. On one hand, people of different religious beliefs are respecting one another. On another hand, they're trying to *force* a piece of media to not be made, which I am definitely against. I just don't know whether I should be upset or pleased.
They're not trying to force anything, they're just trying to convince the game makers to have a little respect for their beliefs. They're not being nasty, or rude, they're not being violent, or petitioning the government to make a law. They're just saying "Hey do you think that you could show a little respect, that's one of our gods." I think that they're being reasonable in the way they're handling this. All they want is respect and understanding. What's wrong with that?

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
I like how uncouth these responses are in comparison to the actual individuals contesting the game. Personally, if they're going to have the decency to be polite about it, then I'd at least have the decency to be polite in my response to them. Also, I like the melodramatic "suppression" of free speech accusations. They're simply speaking their minds about something they find offensive in hopes that someone might comply, good God. If I urge someone not to depict my mother beating the shit out of people in a video game are you going to accuse me of trying to undermine your first amendment rights?

That said, this stuff has been and will continue to be made. I highly doubt their protests will have much of an effect, though it might damage the game's sales a bit (or possibly boost them out of spite purchases).

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Revnak said:
I... I feel so odd about this. On one hand, people of different religious beliefs are respecting one another. On another hand, they're trying to force a piece of media to not be made, which I am definitely against. I just don't know whether I should be upset or pleased.
What? Force?

They're appealing to these folks not to make this game. They're criticizing their portrayal of certain deities.

That is all to say: They're exercising their own rights to free speech. Just because someone wants to say something doesn't mean everyone has to agree, or that they must disagree silently. That would defeat the whole point.

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
freedom of speech and expression. NEXT!
im sorry, but if you would want to point out ALL the games that feature gods in a "trivial" way, we would lost a LOT of games.
but yeah, it seems to me like a cry for attention, nothing more.