CEO: Square Enix Has Become "Weaker Than Expected"

Shinkada

Mar 4, 2008
Well at least we know Square can make fantastic games. Nier was wonderful.

Ohh, right, that was PUBLISHED by Square. The developer was Cavia, who also made Drakengard.

Oh really, Square didn't make that either?

Well at least they've got Deus Ex 3 coming up!

... Oh, right. Eidos are making that.

Well uh. Hm. I dunno what to tell you. I guess mediocre RPGs seen through nostalgia goggles and stealing other developers' hard work doesn't pay off after all? Serves the bastards right, the death of Square would be a boon to the gaming world. Maybe some RPG developers who actually want to write some storylines or characters could get some attention if people weren't so distracted by FF's shiny graphics and fanfiction.net-level writing.

JedivsPaper

Oct 6, 2010
WAIT hang on....there Europe HQ is in Wimbledon!!!! thats like a 10 min walk from my house!!!!!! Anyway I plan on purchasing the new Dues Ex and FF Versus 13 when it comes out but, im curious about these 5 new IPs they plan to bring out, if their anyting like TWEWY then sign me up.

tovansky

Jan 29, 2011
What is square enix again? I found the name more and more offensive nowadays. In the past that name was associated with epic JRPG. Now, since FFXIII, Square Enix is more associated with epic fail and embarassing video games. Don't get me wrong, I used to be an avid fan of SE, but recently I don't want to. They have failed to actually develop a good game for its fanbase.

I think this kind of loss is a good slap for them, remembering how Squaresoft was on the verge on bankruptcy before they actually developed the first Final Fantasy that defined JRPG. I hope they will fall so low that in the near future they will go back up and do something amazing. I wish they had realized this sooner.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Tanneseph said:
IThey don't want to (or just can't) take time on story or environment anymore, it seems.
Can't, in the case of FF13. The team was mainly newbies who didn't know what they were doing. It wasn't until three years into development, that they actually knew what the gameplay and storyline were going to be like. That demo that came with Advent Children Complete? That was ALL THEY HAD at the time they put it out. The game didn't get developed in five years, it got developed in six months.

Tanneseph said:
Being a story and exploration gamer, I wish we could get past this. I DEFINITELY enjoy me some pretty games. Pretty is definitely pretty, but if time spent on Pretty takes away from Fun or even Interesting, count me out.
People keep saying that, but the truth is that game designers have nothing to do with how pretty the game looks. Game artists have a lot to do with it. The designer? Not so much. Ever play D&D? Those rulebooks, those are the game designer's responsibility and they are ABSOLUTELY NOT INVOLVED with asset creation or graphics programming. Those are separate jobs performed by separate, very specialized people.

Designers are responsible for the layout that those assets go into and the interaction that happens with them, for the logic behind the game's world. If they under-thought that structure, that's when you get games like FF13, where there's no tangible connection between the setting and the game systems; that's where you get linear corridor levels in the game-world with seemingly no purpose aside from being linear corridor levels; that's where you get beat-'em-ups that are just empty rooms with monsters in them and cover-based shooters with no mechanics to make them distinct and transparent "chest-high-wall"-heavy level design.

There is arguably very little reason that a game can't be fun AND have good-looking art assets. Truth be told, the only thing you can blame bad game design on is bad game designers; people who take the design of a game for granted and fill out a checklist or make only superficial goals in the design.

yanipheonu said:
0_o Why? XIII was their fastest selling game ever.
Fastest-selling isn't best-selling. Record sales in week 1, bad word of mouth, HUGE falloff in the following period.

As a point of comparison, it shipped about five million copies at launch and hasn't gone much farther than that. Final Fantasy 10, on the other hand, sold ten million copies across the PS2's lifetime. Those are the numbers Square is USED to pulling in.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
my guess is that there's less and less people that plays the Final Fantasy games, since it's follow ups and always the same in a different set.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
they need to go back, play the big hits they had, and remember what a good jrpg is :p
chrono trigger
the SNES FF games, hell even mystic quest (shut up it was fun)
PE 1 an 2
ya know, the good stuff they don't make anymore,
after they have a team that understands what made these games great, THEN they can make news one

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Well, that's what one gets when 90% of their games made in the last 8 years have been consistently mediocre or worse. I haven't been happy with a Squeenix title purchase since...War of the Lions? And that was a remake.

The FF7 Compilation was an insult. FF12 started out promising, but became a meaningless grindfest when the story fell flat right after the opening sequences ended. FF13 had just plain terrible gameplay. FF14 was the saddest joke of a mainstream MMO I have ever seen, and their secondary developer commissions (Minjack, Front Mission Evolved) are embarrassments to their respective genres/franchises.

What really blows my mind is that so many of their titles are based on GREAT CONCEPTS, but then they always fall apart right after the beginning.

CrazyCapnMorgan said:
I guess the lesson learned here is when you start to prioritize profit over customer's ideas, suggestions and feedback, you become weaker.

Revamp what most people here have said and throw in some Mana series reboots. Seriously, any Mana game would probably be epic if done right.
The Mana series is probably my most cherished of all video game series.
Yet I doubt Squeenix would make it again because they would perceive it (from a purely business point of view) as being too "kiddie" to be marketable again. Hell, they already tried that route with all of the Mana titles following Legend (minus one remake), and they sucked.

If they wanted to reboot the Mana series, they would have to create a strong environment, good gameplay, and a coherent story. Following Squeenix's model for such a game (based on damn near every title of theirs that I've played from 2004 onward), they will instead skimp completely on the gameplay or story (or sometimes BOTH, *cough*Dirge of Cerberus*cough*) past the first 20 minutes; which will be dedicated to an amazing CGI opening sequence.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
It sucks that it took them as much as $148M to finally realize that they were really falling behind. I feel sympathy for the company and just hope that this slap across the back of the head will help them realize their mistakes and start making good games again.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Rehire Nobo, please.
Look at why your fans liked your final fantasy games and not just for story purposes.
Please don't fuck up the FF series, the hitman series or the Deus Ex game. Specifically Deus Ex because it looks awesome

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Orcus The Ultimate said:
my guess is that there's less and less people that plays the Final Fantasy games, since it's follow ups and always the same in a different set.
Truth be told, games are timeless. A good game system is a good game system. It doesn't matter if it's one year from release or TEN years from release. Notice that nobody's rushing to make a sequel to Basketball or Football? That's because games are timeless. Nobody got bored with the FF franchise, it's more that they haven't released a proper follow-on to the series in ten years. Plenty of people, I think, would happily welcome a competently done FF title--that's why so many people on this forum want to pin their hopes on V13.

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
Stop overblowing you Storys, your design and your gameplay, with shine and noise while there's no actual content and heart to any of this.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Square Enix has also been hacked recently.

Not the best time for Japanese gaming industry...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13394968

Ilyak1986

Dec 16, 2010
Return to the golden age of RPGs. Seiken Densetsu 3. Chrono Trigger. FFVI (never played it but heard it was awesome), FFVII. Take that kind of gameplay, mix it in with new gen graphics, profit.

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
The only Square Enix franchises I care about are Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts and in the past like 9 years we've had 1 final fantasy game and 0 kingdom hearts games (not counting the shitty spin-offs). < That right there is why your losng money folks.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
As long as they don't cancel Versus XIII and Type-0 in favor of Toriyama Time XVI: The Convoluted yet Somehow Predictable and Offensively Clichéd Story, they should be fine.

[sub]And don't remake the old games. That's just not a good idea.[/sub]