CEO: Square Enix Has Become "Weaker Than Expected"

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Kingdom Hearts 3 for the PS3.

Problem solved. If you want, you can even throw in there a Special Edition. They seem to be quite trendy nowadays. Geez, I should be Square-Enix's CEO.

AsurasFinest

Oct 26, 2010
You know one of the reasons I got my PS3 for?
Kingdom Hearts 3
You know what I got instead?
A convoluted story spread out over three systems, all of which I don't have and am not gonna get because at this point you've killed any anticipation I have for the game and any chance that it might be good.

You want money? Get the godamn game done and make it bloody good

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
SpaceMedarotterX said:
This. All this.

See, Square Enix, you guys are cool. Your graphics, music, plot and characters are what drove me to start playing FF games to begin with. A good game can pretty much keep you afloat forever (I'm looking at you, Halo) so if you release the next FFVII, an epic RPG, one of those RPGs that are so epic that will blow people's mind off for another 10, 15 years, then you're all set. You guys can do it. You got the means. You were once awesome. You've done it before. So do it again.

Again, stop trolling us and give us KH3. Believe me, that's a win/win situation.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Tom Goldman said:
Wada revealed that Square Enix suffered from poor internal communication between project leads and subordinates, in addition to a work environment where employees weren't able to properly divide tasks amongst each other.
I wonder what that means exactly.

"Here Bob. You work in this...this...and these as well and I'll be out for a liquid power-lunch"?

chaosd1

Jul 16, 2008
A company who pulled itself from the brink of failure with a simple "last ditch effort" title that gathered fans that catapulted them into ultimate fortune, of which they began to ignore their detractors and take any opportunity to make a quick buck, or dive into a foolish venture simply on a whim is only NOW realizing they're in trouble?

Arrogance is a powerful drug.

(Also FFS give us a new Chrono game.)

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
First things first. Get Versus and Type-0 out, those matter the most because it looks like they should be the ones to work as the platform for the next generation.

Now Square there's no problem with wanting to establish some connected stories, since you've been doing that by making SEQUEL SEQUEL SEQUEL to each individual FF.

That is a bad move, sure it's a quick buck but it's FINAL FUCKING FANTASY you don't need VI-2 to sell a new game, the NAME will sell it. By preparing to make sequels you open yourself up to common mistakes like 'Sequel Hooks' and leaving the game half empty.

The Kingdom Hearts universe has become this convoluted amorphus blob. See to play and of the games alone you can basically piece together whats going on, but trying to understand the nitty gritty is a fucking nightmare. You can't reboot the whole thing but see if Disney is lightening up and implement some concepts from the original draft. You know a PROPER crossover, where the party members join permanently.

Again have Matsudo write his huge medieval epic, dude loves that shit and I know he has a god damn tome with all the info of it laying around. Let him handle your SRPG division.

If you CAN try to convince Nomura to do the main FF games, now I know you guys out there are rolling your eyes at me but honestly, what games have you enjoyed since the square merge? of the majority of them he's had a role as creative producer (Crisis Core/Dissida), Director (Birth by Sleep), or just as a regular producer (TWEWY). Yes Nomura has dumbass character designs, yes the one story he's in charge of (Kingdom Hearts) is the afformentioned horrible mess.

But the man can MAKE GAMES, you have to remember before all that sequel bullshit he wrote FF7, check under Original Story in the credits. And the best thing he can do in the company is produce Stand-Alone stories, because if we get sequels we get Convoluted.

Most of all, everyone knows him, EVERYONE. 99% of people who think Final Fantasy think Nomura is in charge of them all! Oh and on this note.

Try to convince Kitase to stop being a producer and go back to directing... again the man can make some good games, not so much FFVIII though.

Remember Live a Live? I do. For the uninformed Live a Live is a story about a Cowboy, a Mecha, a Anime Protagonist, a Wrestler, a Chinese Martial Artist, a Ninja, a Caveman and a Knight who each had their own short stories in their own timelines that led into the final scenario. The gameplay was also different, the Cowboy made traps, the Ninja was Tactical Espionage Action before Metal Gear Solid was, the Robot was a Space Horror Adventure game.

Again, we KNOW you can make varied games, so fucking do it. Make a full blown Ninja TEA game! It'd be like playing with Raiden... without the blond hair and AAAAANGST.

Also how about a game about two worlds visualized by different art styles with a playable world styled in Amano art and the 'Real World' of Nomura art, the protagonist slipping between them.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
They should start making decent games again, rather than just publishing them.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
GamesB2 said:
Square does really need a revamp...

Except for Deus Ex, that's looking really good and I hope this in no way negatively affects that game.

I'd like to see them get better, but only under the ideal that they improve their games, FF13 was fun but a massive letdown, I'd rather go dig out my PS1 and replay FF7 again and again and again...

Extra: I get that they might never remake FF7... but at the very least release it on XBLA, that is a ton of cash right there at minimal effort.
Hell yes. Though frankly I barely associate Deus Ex (almost typed Desu Ex, which I may actually had associated with them xD) with Sqaurenix. I'm totally looking forward to it!

I agree about FF13 as well, it was a really pretty game. That is the extent of what I can say good about it, I played it for less time than Yahtzee did and I got fed up and returned it on day one of my rental.

teh_v

Jun 29, 2008
Yes go Atlus there's a company that takes chances and pushes the envelope but does it with interesting game play and solid story telling.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Wait a second... Square Enix is behind Hitman?

Awwwww, are they gonna make it all JRPGie and give him emo hair and emotions? Please tell me they at least handled the previous ones?

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
Square don't know how to make JRPGs anymore? *looks at Nier and Dragon Quest*

Nope. Seems to be awesome still. More like:

Square don't know how to make Final Fantasy anymore. Problem is that they're trying to appeal to western audiences with it more. Which isn't working because Western Audiences don't seem to know what they want.

Just go back to making a turn-based game with likeable characters and a decent plot (that isn't too stupidly complicated) again. And towns. And a World Map.

King_Serpent

GUY YOU DON'T KNOW
Jul 12, 2010
Bonemonster said:
King_Serpent said:
I really don't think that re-releasing old titles is a good plan like everyone is saying release some new IPs like their doing then new famous franchises will spring up hopefully which random people will want remade.

EDIT: By the way so no one mistakes what I am saying they can re-release old games just remaking them seems pointless
I can understand your position but I wasn't speaking of some simple re-release. A complete redo of FF7 that was like that teaser trailer a few years ago would rake in some serious dough. The same could be said of a modern FF6.

As for Chrono, a new one, please.
Chrono sure but remaking the same story is costly, lazy, boring, and easily open to critism. New is always better than old. I love the old games but remakes will only go so far. personally I might enjoy a updated version of VII and VI but most likely something horrible will happen that might ruin the old game. New IPs are the best way to go intead of living in the past. Still, I see your point and it is not impossible. I just think remakes never go well.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Not surprised at all. In my opinion Square Enix hasn't released a truly remarkable game since Kingdom Hearts 2... Last Final Fantasy game that I found truly good was Final Fantasy X about 10 years ago...

So instead of wasting time and money on making new franchises they should focus on what the hell made their old games so good, because they sure as hell forgot.

Also re releasing Final Fantasy 1 on as many consoles as humanly possible isn't a smart move imo...