Character you love that everyone else hates

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
Duke Nukem. I think DNF wasn't as bad as people thought, yes the entire Hive mission needed to be removed but other than that I still think hes funny. I understand that he merely rips off other people's lines but its about character. Duke is outdated, which is what makes him funny.

Also, after punching someone to death in Dukematch, hearing Duke say "You're gonna love my nuts." makes me giggle, go ahead and judge me.

Gothproxy

Mar 20, 2009
Balthier from FF XII. Most people I've talked to either didn't like the game at all or just didn't like him. I thought he was cocky, intelligent and not afraid to tell it like it is. One of the few RPG characters that I actually felt I could relate to as a seasoned gamer.

Gothproxy

Mar 20, 2009
Ranorak said:
Squall.

Yeah, I said it.
So many people hate him for being "An Emo Kid" but, even if he was emo...
You know what, I don't have to justify why I like him, I think he was pretty awesome.
I totally agree (about him being pretty awesome). Not my first choice in the character I like that everyone hates but he's a close #2 for me.

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
I really liked the entire cast from FFX. When I was younger I loved every one of them. Now though, I do get annoyed at Tidus. Still, I sympathize heavily with him and he's still a good character to me.

I also liked Ben...though not during episode three. During episode 4 I could tell the writers were going to try and kill him off by all the screwups he was making and it only made me pity him. When he asked me to drop him my first thought was "I wouldn't want to go out like that. If he wants to die, Kenny can kill him when we get back."

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Vega from ME3 and Jack from ME2.

Not sure why all the hate for these two but I love them.

All hate against Jacob and Miranda is completely acceptable though.

TheDuckbunny

Jul 9, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
TheDuckbunny said:
Niko Bellic from GTA4. Well written, very unique character who's personality contrasts in a good way with all the crazies in Liberty City.
Okay, I have no idea what you are talking about, Niko is loved by the vast majority of players and critics.
You're probably right, I just never heard much love for the character. I always thought people disliked GTA4 in part because Niko's such an 'out there' character and an odd choice for a protagonist. I definitely had to get used to it upon first playing the game. But then again, who could resist his eastern European charm?

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Well stealing from this thread, Ben (TWD), Nathan Drake, Tidus (and the rest of the cast, only Kimahri wasn't that interesting), Hope from FFXIII (and everyone else bar Fang and Vanille) I really dug Hope's arc with Snow

and Miranda, Jacob, Vegas from Mass Effect. I think they screwed up how Miranda looked a bit and I didn't get the same impression as the devs, but I appreciated her and I liked the inferiority complex. Vegas was just straight up fun with a nice little backstory and it was good seeing a big muscled lads lad with a good heart get a role in a game (which if we're honest is written by writers who probably aren't that sort of person just like most writers in all mediums don't tend to be alpha male sort of guys). And I liked Jacob's security, that he's the one guy who won't kill the person on his loyalty mission, even though he has the most reason and I liked how I could tell that he was their to stabilise Shepard over his actual combat skill and abilities. It was nice how he was a bit of a secret fireteam leader too

Generally my level for getting annoyed at characters is much higher than most people's I reckon. The only people I really dislike who a majority of people like are probably Liara, Ashley and Geralt from the Witcher (which is more a problem with the game than his character in particular)

BaronWasteland

Jan 27, 2013
I actually liked James Vega from Mass Effect 3. I mean, yes, he is, to an extent, yet another macho ultra-hardass marine-type, but I found him quite likable and honest.
Disliked his attempts to flirt with my FemShep though.

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
gamernerdtg2 said:
UncleUlty said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
gamernerdtg2 said:
LOVE Rita from Tales of Vesperia because she rounds out the group very well. She kind of an ass, but she's young.
I was surprised to see lot's of people hate her, I thought she was hilarious! Her interactions with the party are among the best (next to Raven of course)

OT: I will say Karol from Tales of Vesperia, yeah, he is the tag-along kid but I liked him.
I'm just as surprised as you about Rita,one of my favorite character from that game. As for Karol,while he did get on my tits during the second act,he goes through enough development that I can't hate the guy.
Well, she's an ass. She thinks she's smarter than everyone, she smacks Karol around, and when you level up she's like "Oh that's the logical outcome" while shooing you away with her hand. So I get why people don't like her character. But if you plug her into Brave Vesperia, she really works.
The first time I played, I thought she was strange. Later on my opinion changed - the game would not be the same without Rita.
I'm looking forward to the ending. I didn't want that game to stop the first time I played, so I stopped playing just before Aspio gets raised from the ground.
actually, she technically is smarter than everyone in terms of book and tech. smarts but not real world experience smarts. We're talking about a character who discovered a way to convert a world wide energy source into something safe and usable that practically leads up into Symphonia - the whole aer into mana thing could be like a back story to Symphonia and the other Tales games

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
I liked Tidus from FFX for... some reason.

Yes, he was obnoxious and loud.
Yes, he whined a lot.
Yes, he probably shouldn't have been the main character.

But there was a likeable x-factor to him that I can't quite put my finger on.

He was an idiot, but got'dangit he was MY idiot. I wanted to see Meg Ryan succeed on his journey no matter what.

Or maybe I just wanted to be around Lulu's breasts... Yeah, probably that.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Well, I like Claptrap and Tiny Tina. Not "everyone" hates them but a fair amount do.
I agree. They fit the tone and lightened the mood when the game got too grimdark for its own good.

I like Raiden from MGS2 as a character in development, and I liked even more what became of his development in 4. That is basically why I preordered Rising (despite him being retardedly OP): I like his story, and how he's doomed to be another cyborg ninja in Snake's constantly repeating history. Kyle Schneider became the Black Ninja, Null/Frank Jaeger/Gray Fox became the Cyborg Ninja, Olga Gurlukovich became Mr. X, and now we find ourselves with Raiden. Snake has watched yet another comrade become a literal tool of war, but this one can actually redeem himself.

The Hero Killer

Aug 9, 2010
Raiden from Metal Gear Solid. MGS2 was the first one I played so I didnt have that attachment to Snake that everyone else did, plus I like alot of anime and JRPGs so androgynous protagonists were cool to me.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Kratos.
I don't really like him either, but in his defense, considering the things he does to other living beings in his games it's appropriate for his character to be so ulikable. Granted, that doesn't really absolve him of anything, but still.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010

Kaworu Nagisa from Evangelion mainly because when he was finally introduced into episode 24 of the anime series the male audience initially hated him getting near Shinji (Which Anno loved trolling the hell out of).

But he only lasted an episode and died right then and there because he let Shinji kill him so he wouldn't try 3rd impact.

Now we get to the Rebuild movie series and he's been around since the first movie but having recently watched 3.0 he played right into Gendo's hands and once again gets killed off which really, really tugged my heartstrings considering he was the only true friend and love interest Shinji ever had and it's all thanks to Anno being sadistic as always.

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
BNguyen said:
gamernerdtg2 said:
UncleUlty said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
gamernerdtg2 said:
LOVE Rita from Tales of Vesperia because she rounds out the group very well. She kind of an ass, but she's young.
I was surprised to see lot's of people hate her, I thought she was hilarious! Her interactions with the party are among the best (next to Raven of course)

OT: I will say Karol from Tales of Vesperia, yeah, he is the tag-along kid but I liked him.
I'm just as surprised as you about Rita,one of my favorite character from that game. As for Karol,while he did get on my tits during the second act,he goes through enough development that I can't hate the guy.
Well, she's an ass. She thinks she's smarter than everyone, she smacks Karol around, and when you level up she's like "Oh that's the logical outcome" while shooing you away with her hand. So I get why people don't like her character. But if you plug her into Brave Vesperia, she really works.
The first time I played, I thought she was strange. Later on my opinion changed - the game would not be the same without Rita.
I'm looking forward to the ending. I didn't want that game to stop the first time I played, so I stopped playing just before Aspio gets raised from the ground.
actually, she technically is smarter than everyone in terms of book and tech. smarts but not real world experience smarts. We're talking about a character who discovered a way to convert a world wide energy source into something safe and usable that practically leads up into Symphonia - the whole aer into mana thing could be like a back story to Symphonia and the other Tales games
Given the background you just gave, I can see someone being condescending and socially backward...but I really like what they do with her along the way. She moves from being emotionally connected with blastia to being concerned about Estelle...Don't git me wrong I love Rita but I'm just saying it shouldn't be a surprize that people hate her. They're missing out on the broader function of her character...plus I know several people who just happen to be women) who have Rita's personality.