Character you love that everyone else hates

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Only character I can think of is Claptrap. I know a lot of people don't like him but I think he's adorable and I feel sorry for him.

I went to your birthday party Claptrap! I WENT!

*ahem* excuse me <.<

[sub]Don't let 'em see you cry old man! Don't let 'em see you cry![/sub]

NightmareExpress

Dec 31, 2012
I don't exactly find Navi particularly awesome, but I don't see any reason to hate her like most people seem to.
Her voice is nothing compared to the beeping of low health. Plenty of people hate that too, but the amount of Navi hate jokes that populate the internet and the fandom is staggering.

Perhaps now people will redirect their hatred towards Fi (Skyward Sword), though.
Easily more annoying, and speaks in a manner that really does not fit in with the world.

dmv

Jan 19, 2013
Light spoilers for DMC follow:
Unfortunately I've very few characters that I love, so of them most aren't hated.
But in the interest of contributing:
Sparda(Devil May Cry)
Arkham (Also from Devil May Cry)

I can only imagine that Sparda and Arkham were hated because Arkham seems to have been expunged from existence, and Sparda earned a gimp suit and eternal torture.
I don't particularly love these characters because their contribution to the series, I love them because they gave the games more depth if you cared enough to look beneath.
Sparda: Turned against his fellow demons and emerged victorious saving the human race. The devil may cry stories generally portray dante as winning because he has more humanity. Humanity conquering darkness etc etc. Which isn't the most original of stories but it bears mentioning because in the reboot sparda buggers off and fucks an angel. This being a general no-no for demons, means the big scary demon king that sparda originally defeated finds him, and eats his wifes heart. But apparently ninja theory really had it out for this character because without exaggerating he's depicted in a gimp suit, eternally tortured.
Arkham: He represents the part of humanity that actively seeks power disregarding the cost of doing so. Illustrating the monster you become in doing so, quite literally and figuratively.

And no I didn't hate the new DMC, I was disappointed but didn't dislike it.

Darth Rahu

Critic of the Sith
Nov 20, 2009
Raiden from Metal Gear Solid 2. That's right I said it. I don't care what people say about me, I actually like Raiden. His backstory, his character arc throughout MGS2, and how his very moral compass was destroyed by the end of it. MGS4 was serviceable in making him a more capable fighter, but I can't help but feel like it was forced. Still psyched for Metal Gear Rising: *subtitle redacted for shear stupdity*

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
TizzytheTormentor said:
sextus the crazy said:
gamernerdtg2 said:
LOVE Rita from Tales of Vesperia because she rounds out the group very well. She kind of an ass, but she's young.
I was surprised to see lot's of people hate her, I thought she was hilarious! Her interactions with the party are among the best (next to Raven of course)

OT: I will say Karol from Tales of Vesperia, yeah, he is the tag-along kid but I liked him.
Karol's ok, and I like what they do with him. All the characters get challeneged and changed. Raven is kinda weird, sometimes he's funny, but it's hard to take him seriously. Rita is definitely an ass, but I wouldn't change anything about her character in any way. I'm not one of the people who hate her and don't see the value of her personality.
There's a bit where she gets called "Flatty McChesteron" or something like that - she gets mad and says - who needs big boobs anyway, they just get in the way...not exactly what she says but it's funny.

I'm currently replaying Vesperia to get to the ending. I played a few years ago and stopped before the whole thing with Aspio raising up...looking forward to seeing the story!

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
UncleUlty said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
gamernerdtg2 said:
LOVE Rita from Tales of Vesperia because she rounds out the group very well. She kind of an ass, but she's young.
I was surprised to see lot's of people hate her, I thought she was hilarious! Her interactions with the party are among the best (next to Raven of course)

OT: I will say Karol from Tales of Vesperia, yeah, he is the tag-along kid but I liked him.
I'm just as surprised as you about Rita,one of my favorite character from that game. As for Karol,while he did get on my tits during the second act,he goes through enough development that I can't hate the guy.
Well, she's an ass. She thinks she's smarter than everyone, she smacks Karol around, and when you level up she's like "Oh that's the logical outcome" while shooing you away with her hand. So I get why people don't like her character. But if you plug her into Brave Vesperia, she really works.
The first time I played, I thought she was strange. Later on my opinion changed - the game would not be the same without Rita.
I'm looking forward to the ending. I didn't want that game to stop the first time I played, so I stopped playing just before Aspio gets raised from the ground.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
w9496 said:
I think people hated Jack because of her first impression(what a *****!), but if you take the time to actually speak with her, you learn why she is that way. Her romance sub-plot was probably the most well done in 2, but rather lackluster in 3, as in she was barely in the game at all.
If you're Sheploo/MaleShep, sure, everything's good when all's said and done (heh). If you're rolling FemShep however, then Jack's a ***** and a half, since - if you try to talk to her after finishing her personal mission and you manage to resolve that little kerfuffle between her and Miranda - Jack essentially tells you to fuck off.

I did like that she "grows up" of sorts in ME3 though.

TheDuckbunny said:
Ashley Williams from the original Mass Effect. She's one of the most realistically portrayed characters in videogames as far as I'm concerned. She really felt like a well rounded character who you could genuinely learn to love or hate based on your own views, not those of the writers telling you theirs.

Aveline from Dragon Age 2. Just a very fun and once again unique character. I really liked having her along for the ride.
I agree about Ash, and, ironically enough, from what I could tell back when the series first dropped, that was the exact reason why most people didn't like her; she was too realistic, like she had an "Uncanny Valley" vibe to her personality. Another reason most didn't like her was because of her faith, which was weird considering a character like Thane, who's faith was essentially a rehash of the Greek mythos, but no one had any words about that (to be fair, the Greek pantheon was a lot more interesting, if colossal dicks).

Agreed about Aveline, but I have different reasons: Isabella once said that, to her, Aveline is "woman-shaped battering ram". And I love female characters who aren't afraid to hog-tie you with your own spine (something gaming sorely needs more of, I think). And c'mon, her fumblings with Guardsman Donnic were just adorable.

NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Non Video Games:
Diva (Blood+)
Medusa Gorgon (Soul Eater)
Cersei Lannister (Song of Fire and Ice)
Azula (Avatar: TLA)

Video Games:
Larxene (Kingdom Hearts: CoM)
Sheriff of Lynchwood (Borderlands 2)

If you notice, they all have something in common... any guesses?
They're all women?

---

You know who I like who most don't? Grayson fucking Hunt [http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/3661/1659541-character_gray.jpg], from Bulletstorm. He's a drunk, he leaps before he looks, dick-tits, he's pretty juvenile, he's vulgar, dick-tits again, but he's a good guy at heart who genuinely cares for his friends.

Oh, before I forget... dick-tits.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
SageRuffin said:
You know who I like who most don't? Grayson fucking Hunt [http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/3661/1659541-character_gray.jpg], from Bulletstorm. He's a drunk, he leaps before he looks, dick-tits, he's pretty juvenile, he's vulgar, dick-tits again, but he's a good guy at heart who genuinely cares for his friends.

Oh, before I forget... dick-tits.
I also felt for Grayson. At times, the polarization between "Man Who Has Lost Everything" and "Over The Top Space Pirate" got a little bit wobbly, but I sympethized with him a bit nonetheless.
Then again, how do you make us sympathize with a vulgar bastard? Pit him up against an even more vulgar (albeit incredibly funny) bastard.
Or, with dick-tits.

OT: While I'm certain that this isn't a character that everyone hates, but I do hear a lot of criticism for Duke Nukem. Frankly, I love Duke. It's really nice to have a character who really enjoys doing what they do, in this age of growling angry "I'M RELOADING!!!!" gravelly grey soldiers. It could also be because I am also something of a repressed egomaniac, and I can easily relate to & project onto him. However, that could also be just because putting him on the same level as me (i.e. having fun in the frenetic alien murder spree) is an incredibly easy way to heighten the player's synchronization with the player character.

Also, I didn't hate Walker from Spec Ops: The Line (I know that it was kind of the game's inention to make me hate him). I actually felt a little sorry for him; he thought he was doing the right thing, being a hero, and then the reality of what happens when you try to do that in a place like the ruined Dubai comes crashing down on him. But then again, as Konrad said: "No one ever does[mean to hurt anybody], Walker."
Well, there's also the fact that I endured that entire (brilliant) nightmare right by his side...

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
I quite liked Miranda from Mass Effect. She's definitely my favorite human romance option, maybe my favorite overall. I think a lot of people can't get past the bitchy first impression she makes, but it's all part of her character arc. Pretty disappointed that she gets shafted a bit in regard to screen time in 3.

James is actually pretty fun as well. Not fantastic, but he definitely doesn't deserve the flak he gets from the community.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
The Thief. She goes by a different name in each game, but you can always pick her out. She's the optimistic one when it seems like the entire world is about to end. She almost never frowns, and is the first to jump in with reassurances that things will work out okay. This usually annoys everyone else, since the brooding, emo, anti-hero thing is big right now. But I love her lighthearted outlook on things.

See: Rikku, Vanille, Mission Vao

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
As a few others have said; Nathan Drake.
Not sure who started the hating(probably Yahtzee, because he says so and that makes it law), but I've played through the games three times and I still don't see why people think of him as a smug douche. He's wise-cracking sometimes, however he's hardly the only protagonist who does so.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Kira from Death Note. Everyone hates him because he killed L from the first season, but it's not like he had a choice. He was using his power to kill off bad people, yet that's apparently immoral, and he only held the US hostage because he had no other choice. It was either do that or become hunted and die.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
For me it's Tidus form FFX. While I don't love him (that clothing, that hair, bleh), but I thought that he is nice character. He grows from whiny spoiled brat to fairly decent young man through the game, his overdrives are cool, his celestial weapon is one of the better ones. Um, since many people dislike the whole cast of FFX, I'll also mention that I liked all of the characters. The only one, who wasn't really developed is Kimahri, and I am talking class-wise.

Also, DAII cast. I found them to be a lot more likable than DA:O ones.

Morthello

Aug 1, 2011
Country
United States
<--- not that i love her(yes shes a female in my mind), just found many parts in ff9 involving her very humorous and cute

Jack was my favorite character in Mass Effect(wish there was more of her in 3). Liked Samara as well.

Vanille

Ah and Theon Greyjoy is my favorite character in ASOIF.

TheFinalFantasyWolf

Dec 23, 2010
Darth Rahu said:
Raiden from Metal Gear Solid 2. That's right I said it. I don't care what people say about me, I actually like Raiden. His backstory, his character arc throughout MGS2, and how his very moral compass was destroyed by the end of it. MGS4 was serviceable in making him a more capable fighter, but I can't help but feel like it was forced. Still psyched for Metal Gear Rising: *subtitle redacted for shear stupdity*
I second this.
I always thought Raiden was a great character through MGS2, then when MGS4 came around, his whole change felt more like a quick fix so that people warmed up to him better. Now that he has gone from a simple rookie to a "OMGsupercyberninjasoldierFTW"! Not to say I hate MGS4 or MGrising, but more that it just doesn't strike me, with the same depth anymore. I'm actually looking forward to rising, although I wish it was set in between the games like originally planned rather than after. They keep flipping his character from (practically) psychotic to rehabilitated. MGS4 wrapped up his story and gave him a happy ending, it seems redundant to see him even more emotionally distant now.
Baby steps I suppose.

I thought Hope from Final Fantasy XIII was fine as well. I didn't understand all the hate for his character either. All the warnings I received from people telling me that, "he's so whiny, he won't shut up. Trust me, you'll just get so sick of him". Got brushed aside for me, when I realized that, he watched his mother fall to her death. -_-
I think any negative or "weak" emotions he is displaying may be a little understandable.

Also, I like the new Dante from DmC: Devil May Cry. I liked the classic Dante years back because of the cheesy dialogue and hey, it was a main character that was having as much fun as I was. However that "cheesy" and over the top act started to wear thin when DMC4 came around. With the new one, there's still the fun antics and the one liners that I love, with just a bit more emotional depth than "Look at me, aren't I awesome?".

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Squall.

Yeah, I said it.
So many people hate him for being "An Emo Kid" but, even if he was emo...
You know what, I don't have to justify why I like him, I think he was pretty awesome.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
lacktheknack said:
Ashley Williams was awesome, yet everyone talks with great glee about how they let her die. WHY?
Personally, I killed her because in my game, she shot Wrex. FOR NO GODDAMN REASON. I had him calmed down, and right before he put his gun down, she fucking killed him out of nowhere. Unforgivable. Also, the macho, chest-pounding, "Humanity, fuck-yeah" attitude didn't help. I mean, I get that she's not the only character in the series with xenophobia issues, but at least Tali (and arguably Wrex) have the decency to let the near-genocide of their people motivate their racism. Ashely is just bitter because her race doesn't have all the biggest toys on the playground.

As for my contribution, while I don't exactly love her, I really don't understand all the hate for Skyler White (Breaking Bad). To be on the safe side, I will continue in a spoiler tab.

People seem to think Skyler reacts unreasonably when she finds out about the lies Walt has been telling her. Like, she has no right to be pissed off at her secret drug-lord of a husband. The hate gets more perplexing as the show continues. I'm pretty sure there are people who actually blame Skyler for not welcoming brand new, SCARY AS FUCK Walt into her life. It's like people don't understand that Walt is now officially the Bad Guy of the show.

kazann

Jan 18, 2013
New Dante, I just think he looks better then before + his personality is lolzy

Mental Cosmas

Jul 23, 2012
Jacob from Mass Effect 2/3. What can I say? He was my rock, and I found him oddly fascinating.

Oh, and Vexen from the Kingdom Hearts series. Poor guy, needs more love.