Characters you find yourself immediately liking

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I tend to really like the comedic relief characters (go figure).

So Sokka and Toph from The Last Airbender as well as Bolin and Varrick from Korra
Alistair, Varric and Iron Bull from Dragon Age
Garrus from Mass Effect
etc

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
Ah jeez. There are so many characters out there. Alright, let's see if I can't name at least a few.

Sera, from DA:I. From reading her bio alone, before the game came out, I knew that she was going to be a favorite of mine. Cole as well. I just like the whole spirit thing that he has going on. And his hat. I love his hat.

Neeshka from Neverwinter Nights 2. I liked the spirit that she possessed when I met and traveled with her. She's a thief that loves her job, and I find that pretty cool.

Lo Wang and Hoji, from Shadow Warrior. Both of them manage to inject a good amount of character into what was supposed to be a call-back to old-fashioned shooters that everyone is so fond of.

BJ Blazkowicz, from Wolfenstein: The New Order. His inner monologues are really cool. I would even go so far as to call them deep. His thoughtfulness, on top of his unshakable moral code, just makes him a really good protagonist.

Krieg, from Borderlands 2. The poetic nature of his insanity makes him my favorite character in the series. His descriptions of his mind and what he sees surpass many of the writing that I have been subject to throughout my existence.

Palutena from Kid Icarus: Uprising. Her smart mouth on top of her kind heart just makes her a really likable character.

Tharja from Fire Emblem: Awakening. I don't really know why, but I just liked her a lot when I first met her. She was creepy, but in a cool way. And she was really pretty. The interactions with Robin that she had still run through my mind on occasion.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Most recently, Janey Springs from Borderlands TPS. She looks like a girl I had a crush on years ago who, coincidentally, was also Australian. After finishing the game as Nisha, I went back and played as Athena because her and Janey... uh... reasons. ;)

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Balthier from FF 12

Varric from Dragon Age 2

The Butler character in just about anything. This trope is usually a very competent but very reserved gentleman, who will politely clean your clothes, advise you on life problems, or kick ass if it's necessary.

The Spy from TF 2

The crazy free agent guy living in Hong Kong in Alpha Protocol. If you played that game, you know who I'm talking about and why. "Oh, there are my keys, been looking for those." xD

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
Kratos from God of War. Absolute single minded bad ass mo fo. Brilliant.

Auron from FFX. Spiritual warrior who cares enough to apply tough love when needed.

Geralt from The Witcher. Similar to Auron in a lot of ways, but more earthy and rustic.

Garrus. Does what it takes to get the job done. The goal is rightous, even if the methods aren't.

And of course the one and only Minsc. Hard as nails and has a Space Hamster. You don't fuck with a bloke who has a Space Hamster.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Probably Garrus. I played ME 2 first, and his introduction just left a big dumb grin on my face.

Outside of games, schierke, from berserk. I've heard people say that the story went downhill after the black swordsman arc, but if anything redeemed the story, it's her. My favorite magic user of all time (get bent Gandalf, Dumbledore, and Merlin). Every moment she's around is a pure joy to watch. I think it's safe to say that I liked her from the beginning.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Gorfias said:
Waka from FF10 was the first character that came immediately to mind when I read this thread's topic.

A second thought, Drake. Very likeable character.

these two, then throw in Alistair from DA:O. Even when Alistair pisses me off, he'll pop off with some one liner that makes me chuckle. I can never stay mad at Alistair.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Ten Foot Bunny said:
Most recently, Janey Springs from Borderlands TPS. She looks like a girl I had a crush on years ago who, coincidentally, was also Australian. After finishing the game as Nisha, I went back and played as Athena because her and Janey... uh... reasons. ;)

Barbas knows all. :)

Casual Shinji said:
B.J. Blaskowitz from Wolfenstein: The New Order.

It's been a while since we've had a genuinely nice and noble action hero again. Sure, he murders tons of Nazis, but he's nice to everyone who deserves it and treats his companions with a great amount of respect.
I couldn't help but laugh at his quips, especially the ones that were just perfect action movie one-liners - "I'm comin' for you, you Nazi fuckin' space man."

He's big and loud and extremely violent, but he's not the animal that Deathshead accuses him of being. He shows quite clearly that he can maintain his sympathy and humanity as a man who's out of place and time. I think The New Order was the most successful at fleshing out his personality.

* * *​

OT:

[HEADING=2]Clementine[/HEADING]​

A lot of stuff gets thrown her way, and it's harder for her to deal with as a child who has had her world turned on its head by the walking dead, but she gets through it with the minimum of complaint. She's tough, she's determined, and she's more human than I think a lot of people even try to be.

When she's at her lowest point and it shows on the surface, we almost feel exactly what she does.

[HEADING=2]The King[/HEADING]​

Well, would you look at that - in one of the most violent and impoverished settlements of the Mojave Wasteland can be found a gang founded with the purpose of helping people realize their hopes and ambitions. The King appointed himself de facto leader of the ailing Freeside district of New Vegas and can be found doing his darndest to keep the streets as safe and respectful as possible with whatever comes to hand. He's classy, he's cool and he's probably the politest gang leader you'll ever know.

Hail to the King.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Savagezion said:
these two, then throw in Alistair from DA:O. Even when Alistair pisses me off, he'll pop off with some one liner that makes me chuckle. I can never stay mad at Alistair.
I'd ask, do you like Alistair in an admiration type of way as I like Master Chief, or could you hang with him?

I really want to finish Dragon Age Origin, but I have a 256 Gig SSD for C: and origin insists on being on C: I have all these origin games but only room for Titan Fall. Dang it. So many origin games that have to wait till I can afford a 1 TB SSD (About $400).

Protocol95

May 19, 2010
The Wykydtron said:
obviously they made Yu's canon
Was it ever confirmed Yu's path was canon? I remember Akihiko saying something like "when we all went up against [Shadow Labrys]" and there being a few other things that are hard to rectify with all paths.

OT: Merrill in Dragon Age 2. Within a short time frame one loveable establishing moment and one interesting.
Makoto Naegi in Danganronpa also left an interestingly... humble opinion. Started liking him fast.

Edit: Oh yay, post 1000. *apathetic-ish applause*

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Gorfias said:
I'd ask, do you like Alistair in an admiration type of way as I like Master Chief, or could you hang with him?

I really want to finish Dragon Age Origin, but I have a 256 Gig SSD for C: and origin insists on being on C: I have all these origin games but only room for Titan Fall. Dang it. So many origin games that have to wait till I can afford a 1 TB SSD (About $400).
You can, you know, just change the directory origin installs things in. Just go into options and there should be a "Games location" edit-field somewhere were you can change the directory origin installs your games into.
IT 101 when you have a problem click on everything you see until you find a way to solve it. If that fails - google it.

T8B95

Jul 8, 2010
Veronica and Cass from Fallout: New Vegas. Both of them pretty much immediately clicked with me. I usually don't like party mechanics or companions in RPGs, but these two managed to win me over with their personalities, stories, and dialogues. I ended up becoming particularly attached to Veronica, and I thought the ending to her quest was heartbreaking.

While I don't particularly LIKE it (I fear and loathe it with every fiber of my being), I was able to gel pretty well with the Xenomorph from Alien Isolation. Its establishing character moments nail the idea of what it's supposed to be--a primordial deathmachine that can't be fought, killed, or reasoned with. There's something to be said for an antagonist that can inspire terror without even being in the room.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Amaror said:
You can, you know, just change the directory origin installs things in. Just go into options and there should be a "Games location" edit-field somewhere were you can change the directory origin installs your games into.
IT 101 when you have a problem click on everything you see until you find a way to solve it. If that fails - google it.
I read about some convoluted way to handle this.

Should I attempt to do so, would my current C:\ installs still work as I add Origin games to D:\ ?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

DarkSoldier84

Jul 8, 2010
Brucie from Grand Theft Auto IV immediately endeared me with his unabashed enthusiasm in a sea of relentless cynicism.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Gorfias said:
I read about some convoluted way to handle this.

Should I attempt to do so, would my current C:\ installs still work as I add Origin games to D:\ ?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
It's not convoluted at all.
1. Open Origins
2. Click on the "Origins" Tab on the top left corner of the Origins window
The following steps may be named wrong, since my origin is in german and yours may be in another language. I will translate it to what it should be named in English, but you can never be sure.
3. Click on "Options", the sixth entry from the top down.
4. The main window of Origin will change into an options menu with 4 different tabs on the left side. Click on the last tab in that list, which should be named something like "Exta Options" or "Additional Options"
5. The entry on the top should now say something like "Downloaded Games" with the directory displayed were your games get installed by Origin. You can click on "change" next to the displayed directory to change the place your origin games will be, once they are installed. You can change this to whichever directory you want. Origin itself does not need to be installed on the same directory or harddrive.
6. You could be done now, but origin first downloads the installer of the game to a seperate directory, before installing the game to the place you specified in step 5. Should your harddrive not have enough spave left to handle the temporary storage of that installer, change the second entry to another harddrive, which specifies were origin will download temporary installers to.

I haven't tried it personally but if origin is smart it will automatically transfer the games from your original directory to the new one. If it's not smart it will most likely download them again in the new directory.
Just make a copy of the game files to someplace. If Origin attempts to download the files again, copy the game files manually to the new location. Origin should detect that the game is there and stop the download to let you play. Sadly, unlike steam, origin doesn't have a function to allow multiple install directories at once.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
The most recent one would be Pagen Min from Farcry 4. I really wish there was more interaction with him.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Gorfias said:
Savagezion said:

Hang out with sort of way. He has a good sense of humor and sometimes it may not even be him making a joke but rather just a natural reaction that I find funny. His timing is so well placed for me that at times even a simple sigh will make me chuckle. He is a really good smart ass and at times, he makes me laugh because he says what I am thinking while my character is standing there all stiff and silent. He is a pleasure to have in the party.

Oh yeah, and the "evil" lines of dialogue, he often rolls off his back and takes it as the joke that it is.

visiblenoise

Jul 2, 2014
Jane from Telltale's Walking Dead Season 2. She's pretty, kickass, and has heart, with just a dash of cool coldness.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Fijiman said:
The most recent one would be Pagen Min from Farcry 4. I really wish there was more interaction with him.
Yet another villain more compelling than their counterpart. Ubisoft does it again!

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Amaror said:
1. Open Origins
2. Click on the "Origins" Tab on the top left corner of the Origins window etc.
My menu options are different but I actually found something that may work (though your instructions were very good! One's I'd read previously had me changing all sorts of settings that was crazy!)

I'm trying to download a butt load of games now. Hopefully, I will not run into trouble.

Would you believe this issue has kept me from playing Mass Effect 2? Game Informer calls it the greatest Sci Fi game of ALL TIME!!! Fingers crossed this works.