CHARACTERS you like that everyone else seems to hate!

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
Hmmm... Isabela from Dragon Age 2.
Everyone seems to hate that game and everything about it.

jumjalalabash

Jan 25, 2010
I liked Squall. People scream like the world ending about him being emo, but at least he has a reason for being so and a developed personality.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Inoue Orihime from Bleach. I love her, go to any forum, there will be no end of the cursing and hate. o_O

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
ChupathingyX said:
Caesar - Fallout: New Vegas.

How about instead of looking at things from face value and actually digging deeper? You might find he's actually a very interesting character, I don't agree with everything he believes, but he does bring up some good points.
Well Im talking about when he hires you to destory the stuff underneath the mountains, Im a good guy and he wanted me to do this so I thought that I had to do this to live, which I thought was slaver...well until he was a bloody meat pile.

DarkRawen

Awe-Inspiringly Awesome
Apr 20, 2010
Froken Keke said:
Well, apparently, from what I've read here, everyone hates Desmond from Assassin's Creed, which kind of perplexes me, since I've never seen that dislike anywhere else.
I like him, and I think his story is one of the main reasons why I continue buying the games. (Apart from the fun gameplay, of course.)
They hate Desmond? Seriously? He's my favorite character from the AC series, even if you almost never get to play as him.
As for another character I like that most people don't, Alex Mercer from Prototype. People keep saying that he has no personality, but in reality, being a merciless mass-murderer is actually a personality, albeit a flawed one. Still, he seems to be perfect for his role in the game, being a narcissistic sociopath with no memories fits all that killing.

darkless

Jan 26, 2008
Lumzdas said:
Vanille from FF13. I don't really understand the hate towards her :/ She doesn't have a very annoying voice, more so when compared to alot of other jrpg characters. Also she has a cool accent.
Probably becaus the whole damn thing is entirely her fault.

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
I don't mind Big the Cat from the Sonic series.

Why? Because he's voiced by DUKE F***ING NUKEM!

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Shunji Ikari: Neon Genesis Evangelion, Ive only watched up to episode 15 so gar but I havnt seen anything so far that people seem to hate him for, he just seems like a normal guy who has a bad situation forced upon him, in the first few episodes he whines alot but he grows out of the by episode 6, btw this is the dubbed version and my opinion may change as i finish the series.

Jessabi

Jul 26, 2011
Fenris from Dragon Age 2. So many people seem to hate his guts but I liked him :D I thought he had an interesting back story and I liked his anti-mage bitching at Anders (probably because I reeeally didn't like Anders. He was far too creepy and whiney).

Also, Alistair from DA:O. I know he does have a lot of fans, but they're mostly female. Any guy I've spoken to doesn't like him. He was a character written to appeal to women I think - and I am one, so it worked xD

Outside of the Dragon Age universe, Tidus from FFX and Hope from FFXIII (despite his somewhat cheesy dialogue at times).

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
SvenBTB said:
Navi, from TLoZ;OoT. I have NEVER understood why she's considered annoying. I've always thought she was a faithful companion traveling alongside Link and accompanying him on his epic quest. Not once have I been irritated by her calls of "Hey! Listen!". As "net-trendy" as it may be to hate her for her voice, I never have. Not back when I was 10 first playing it, and not now, over 10 years later.
THIS X10,000!! Also I don't ever recall her saying "Hey! Listen!" at any point during that game and I've played through it several dozen times. I remember her saying "Hey!" and "Listen!" but never the 2 together, so whenever someone quotes her as saying that I'm always left wondering
"WTF?"

striderkiwi

Jul 15, 2010
Crissaegrim said:
"What'ya buyin? heh heh heh, thank you." My motherfucking bro, man. That blue flame was the one thing that made me feel safe to breathe in that game.
I've never heard anyone say they hate him. Infact, everyone I know who's played the game seems to really like him.

I like most every FF character and yeah I don't see why people hate Tidus and Cloud, particularly Cloud.

I also really like Ike from Fire Emblem Path of Radiance. Alot of online people seem to hate him and I don't really get why. He and Cloud are like my two favorite videogame heroes.

striderkiwi

Jul 15, 2010
FirstToStrike said:
I don't mind Big the Cat from the Sonic series.

Why? Because he's voiced by DUKE F***ING NUKEM!
He IS!!!?? that's cool. I always liked Big the Cat. I think the main reason people don't like him is because of the frog fishing minigame in Sonic Adventure.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
Vegan_Doodler said:
Citizen Sane said:
Jar Jar Binks: I don't know why everyone hates him he's funny
I second this, I have herd people say that he is racist, to who exactly swamp aliens.
For the most part, it's because the Gungans in general can be very easily interpreted as a sick stereotyped version of Rastafarians, in the same way that Watto could easily be interpreted as a sick stereotype of the Jewish.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Until the game became too much grind for me to even bother following anymore, what I saw of Snow in FF13 was good.

"Heroic douchebag". Well, yeah. It's called HUBRIS. The fact he wasn't a whiny emo-punktard or a cold, boring dullard was a distinct improvement over the usual status quo for Squeenix characters.

And he's still LIGHTYEARS ahead of fucking Tidus for likeability. There are dogs with birth defects and uncontrollable bowels that had more charm than that stupid, annoying slaphead.

Tangentially, Cloud was a pretty interesting character, given that he WASN'T emo and had a serious split-personality disorder. Of course, Squeenix later decided to ruin this by contradicting Cloud's story arc in the Fanservice Movie.

BlastedTheWorm

Jan 26, 2010
Meatramen said:
But yes, I've never heard anything good about Moira Brown if it is not from myself.
Moira was the best character I ever encountered in Fallout 3. Granted, I didn't play it that far, but nevertheless.
Necromancer Jim said:
Also, I like Anders in Dragon Age 2, so I seem to be in a very, very small minority.
I liked Anders in DAII mostly because I liked Anders in Awakening. I know he's changed a lot, but it made me feel sorry for what had happened between the games to make him like that.

Fiendish Panda said:
Also, Alistair from DA:O. I know he does have a lot of fans, but they're mostly female. Any guy I've spoken to doesn't like him. He was a character written to appeal to women I think - and I am one, so it worked xD
I wasn't aware Alistair was disliked. I thought Alistair was a total bro, and his banter with Morrigan was great.

My contribution to this thread? Kaidan and Ashley.

Ashley isn't racist, and she isn't super-religious. Her religion is brought up once, maybe twice in the entire game, and her distrust of aliens may be a bit dodgy, she at least justifies it and gets over herself for the mission. It's not like she went around calling Garrus a space-****** or something, and she shows disgust towards the actual racists you come across in the game.

Kaidan is boring if you play as a Male Shepard, where you don't really get to know him that much. As FemShep, you can get into his backstory quite a lot. In my opinion, he becomes a more interesting character than Ashley. And for people who says he whines a lot...where you playing a completely different game? He doesn't whine at all. He's pretty much over all the bad stuff that's happened to him, and he just gets on with his job.

Penguin_Factory

Sep 13, 2010
I like all of the characters in Final Fantasy XIII. Yes even Snow, although it takes about half the game for him to become an interesting character.

A few people have mentioned Cloud. Frankly, I think when a lot of people say they hate him they're thinking of the Advent Children version of the character, which was a lot more "emo" than in the game.

holy_secret

Nov 2, 2009
Final Fantasy XIII - Vanille.
One of the deepest and complex characters I've seen and played as.

EDIT:
Penguin_Factory said:
I like all of the characters in Final Fantasy XIII. Yes even Snow, although it takes about half the game for him to become an interesting character.
I see what you did there. Tried to do a sneaky ninja didja? :)

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
Raul in Fallout: New Vegas is blatantly underrated :(
Show the ghoul with the guns and the old stories some love!

"Shoot these guys with my .44 and club them to death like baby seals with that golf club you so generously gave me? Sure thing Boss."

Davatehi

Dec 23, 2010
James Crook said:
Raul in Fallout: New Vegas is blatantly underrated :(
Show the ghoul with the guns and the old stories some love!

"Shoot these guys with my .44 and club them to death like baby seals with that golf club you so generously gave me? Sure thing Boss."
Raul was freaking awesome! That stache is a killer. Had such a hard time choosing betwean him and Boone. Why couldn't I have both? I need my bros!