Check out The Escapist's Updated Layout!

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Check out The Escapist's Updated Layout!

[http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/97/97456.jpg][/right]

If you recall, a few months ago we announced the beginning of an ongoing redesign process. Since then we've listened very carefully to all of your feedback about what worked for you and what didn't. We've also paid very close attention to how you're navigating and making use of the website, and have made many tweaks along the way to reflect that.

While we weren't able to implement all of your suggestions, we did change the areas that you asked about the most. The result will hopefully be a website that shows you more of what you want and in a more accessible way.

[video=5942]

1. At the top of the page, you'll find our redesigned navigational bar, containing separate menus for features, news, videos, and reviews. This bar will stay at the top of the page no matter where you are on the site, ready to help you find the content you're looking for, faster. From here you can also access your profile information, including the comments you've posted, the badges you've earned, and the friends you've made at [I]The Escapist[/I].

2. Below the nav-bar you'll find our new giant header, an easy-to-read display that delivers our top content in a simple-to-use format. Hover your mouse over the smaller images in the horizontal menu below the header to bring that post into full view above, or you can simply watch as the site automatically cycles through your favorite videos, reviews, and all the other hot content that you're looking for.

3. Underneath the header, we've also placed a static grid of our most popular posts, from breaking news to the latest episodes of our comics and video series.

4. The rest of our homepage, found below, is now split into three, simple, vertical columns, each focusing on a different style of rolling content. To the left, you'll find the latest news, constantly updating throughout the day. By default, this column will display stories chronologically, but you'll also be able to sort them by view count or comments if you'd like to see what people are talking about.

5. To the right of news, our center column will roll out feature content: videos, like the latest episode of [I]Zero Punctuation[/I] or [I]Escape to the Movies[/I]; editorial content, like our popular gaming features or the newest [I]Critical Miss[/I]; and, of course, [I]The Escapist[/I]'s own written and video reviews.

6. The column to the far right will house your favorite regular columns, such as [I]Extra Punctuation[/I], [I]Experienced Points[/I] and [I]Hexproof[/I]. We've got some big plans for the future of this section, but can't reveal it all just yet, so stay tuned in the coming months to find out more!

7. Finally, at the very bottom of the page, you'll find things like our latest quiz and the most popular forum posts. We've also introduced a new weekly schedule of our most popular series, to help you keep track of when to tune in. You'll be able to access older episodes that you may have missed, making sure that you're up to date on your favorite content.

We hope that these changes will help make [I]The Escapist[/I] easier to use and more fun for you to visit.

As always, we greatly appreciate your feedback and your help with this ongoing endeavor. Please let us know what you think.

Thanks,

[I]The Escapist[/I] Staff

[B]Permalink[/B]​

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
If the picture is a true example of the new layout then, well it looks a little clogged and bunched together. Interesting but IMO I can't focus on anything...

Edit:
Well I finally got the chance to watch the video and I still think it looks really clogged...

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Nile McMorrow said:
If the picture is a true example of the new layout then, well it looks a little clogged and bunched together. Interesting but IMO I can't focus on anything...
Perhaps the video will make it's organization clearer? It has a much more in depth analysis of the image.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
This is by far the best looking layout by far. Functionality wise, I can't comment on yet.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Nasrin said:
Nile McMorrow said:
Perhaps the video will make it's organization clearer? It has a much more in depth analysis of the image.
Sorry, I was looking at the article on an iPad so I'm not able to see the video. I know there's a video there due to the Hugh chunk of white space I can see but I'm unable to watch it due to Apple and Adobe so I based my opinion off the image. When I next get on my PC, I'll check it and edit my post appropriately.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
This looks amazing guys! Well done. Also... I'm very happy about the video calendar!

GrimGrimoire

Aug 11, 2011
The new layout looks great! It might take some time getting used to it, but I'm looking forwards to the change.

Though, with that said, I find the placement of the "Popular forum posts" index too far down on the page.

EDIT: And the video calendar is a great idea. It's a well crafted design.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I can see that you have listened to the feedback, since if I remember correctly one of the main complaints of the current design is that it came out of nowhere, and well you announced it to everybody this time, it's a cool looking design, it looks fairly easy to use but I can't speak to that unless I've used it, but anyway good luck with the redesign.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
This is going to take some getting used to but it looks nice, now I'll be back once I've fiddled about with the new layout for a bit to get used to it.

Dec 14, 2009
Pub Club Master Race!

[HEADING=1]Assemble![/HEADING]

Feels very slick and easy to use.

You did a great job guys, and while I'm sure there are bound to be some pretty negative comments coming this way (people like to complain a lot, had you noticed?), I appreciate all the hard work you guys put into the site.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Very nice! I don't have a single complaint about the way it works.

BUT IT KINDA REMINDS ME OF GAMESPOT!

Kinda... I don't like Gamespot anymore. They took my Jonneh...

Other than reminding me of Gamespot Jonneh tragedy a bit, I really like it. I am going to have to get used to it, but I am ecstatic that everything is getting emphasis again. I argued that with the previous redesign, there was nowhere near enough emphasis for some videos, but with this, everyone gets emphasis! Even the news gets better emphasis.

Oh yes, I like this update! :D

Except I can no longer see anyone's badges. A bug perhaps or is it the fact that I use Chrome and deserve to be shot, like every other website's reaction to me using Chrome.

Calumon: Firefox just makes me think of Renamon... :'(

Edit: Oh my god, I love the search bar. It shwoops out.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Jack and Calumon said:
Very nice! I don't have a single complaint about the way it works.

BUT IT KINDA REMINDS ME OF GAMESPOT!

Kinda... I don't like Gamespot anymore. They took my Jonneh...

Other than reminding me of Gamespot Jonneh tragedy a bit, I really like it. I am going to have to get used to it, but I am ecstatic that everything is getting emphasis again. I argued that with the previous redesign, there was nowhere near enough emphasis for some videos, but with this, everyone gets emphasis! Even the news gets better emphasis.

Oh yes, I like this update! :D

Except I can no longer see anyone's badges. A bug perhaps or is it the fact that I use Chrome and deserve to be shot, like every other website's reaction to me using Chrome.

Calumon: Firefox just makes me think of Renamon... :'(

Edit: Oh my god, I love the search bar. It shwoops out.
Can't see badges? You mean under their profile in forum comments?

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
One thing I don't quite like all that much is how the forum/thread part is wider. I mean, it looks pretty cool, but it drowns out the gradient in the background. On the old layout you can see more of the blue transition, but in this version there's more black than blue.

As an aside, from a role-player's point of view this is going to make post length a little harder to determine. One-line posts are generally frowned upon (with some exceptions). But this could be a good thing. Means I get to detail more in my writing.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Oh god just yesterday I thought 'Huh when this design first came I didn't like it, but its really grown on me, hopefuly it doesn't change and confuse me again though!'

But fortunately the changes all seem to be good, so I will let you off.

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Jack and Calumon said:
Badges should be fixed

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
All I want is the Reviews page back. You know. The page with all of the game reviews shown in Alphabetical order. If you guys bring that back i will be happy.

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
CounterAttack said:
One thing I don't quite like all that much is how the forum/thread part is wider. I mean, it looks pretty cool, but it drowns out the gradient in the background. On the old layout you can see more of the blue transition, but in this version there's more black than blue.
There is a update coming with forum's layout in the not too distant future. Other then the gradient, is there something else that's bothering you with the wider layout on forums?

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Solo-Wing said:
All I want is the Reviews page back. You know. The page with all of the game reviews shown in Alphabetical order. If you guys bring that back i will be happy.
Do you find the 'All Reviews' button on the review's submenu not sufficient? Or would you like the review's index to have that same look?

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
ThyNameIsMud said:
Solo-Wing said:
Do you find the 'All Reviews' button on the review's submenu not sufficient? Or would you like the review's index to have that same look?
Ah crap. The last couple of months I was not able to find that. now that it was pointed out I feel Like a dumbass. Previous Statement retracted.

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Solo-Wing said:
Ah crap. The last couple of months I was not able to find that. now that it was pointed out I feel Like a dumbass. Previous Statement retracted.
No worries, happy the void has been filled