Check out The Escapist's Updated Layout!

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Motto of the moment looks weird.

That is all.

OK, that's not all. I also think it looks kind of nice. Sort of. A bit. Not that I like you or anything, I'm just saying...

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
Very nice, overall... however, the Forums box at the lowest right is misplaced. It shouldn't be something I have to scroll to the bottom to check on, as the entire point of it is to keep an eye on the forum's hot and current topics as one browses the site.

ayvee

Jan 29, 2010
I like this a lot more than the current version (since the last update I've avoided the home page and gone straight to News). It looks great!

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
ThyNameIsMud said:
There is a update coming with forum's layout in the not too distant future. Other then the gradient, is there something else that's bothering you with the wider layout on forums?
Hmm... well, the wider layout does mean more scrolling to read an entire page (or a single post if it's long enough). While I won't ask that it be changed back, I did prefer being able to read more on a single screen. That being said, though, I do use a fairly old monitor whose highest resolution is 1280x1024. So my commentary might be invalid, I dunno.

Hashbrick

Mar 20, 2009
This is much much much better, I'm not fond of the huge header or the weird layout look like its a pointy diamond from the top but it's different looking than any other site so plus for originality and I'm sure it will grow on me. As long as you don't slide it up and down after an advertisement plays like gamespot currently is doing I'm a happy camper. Good work web team I'm sure you will see tons more positives than negatives in this revision.

A bag of e-cookies for all!

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
I don't like that the forum feed is right at the bottom of the screen. Can't it be swapped with the little comic panel next to the news?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
It's beautiful. A huge improvement :)

Once again, the Escapist is quite possibly the sexiest looking site on the web right now.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wow I never expect your voice sound that young. I don't mean it as a bad thing just unexpected.
Either way I reserve my judgement for the new layout when its arrived but it does look promising from the look of it. I dread to think when the typical haters will whine about it.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
It looks pretty solid. Hope it's as functional as it is nice-looking. I lie that you guys showed us the change before springing it on us. It makes transition not so crazy.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
AstylahAthrys said:
It looks pretty solid. Hope it's as functional as it is nice-looking. I lie that you guys showed us the change before springing it on us. It makes transition not so crazy.
Agreed, it's good that we were told this time.

It certainly looks unique, but it looks pretty good overall, I just think it needs a touch more blue instead of black.
Also, forums should be placed higher up, they deserve more than the bottom

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
is It possible for a unified mailbox, and next and back buttons for messaging?

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Wow. This might actually be enough to convert me to using your homepage as, well, the homepage, rather than just linking directly to the news list... Especially with that news column in the bottom left corner.

One bit of feedback though: in case I carry on hanging out News page, could there PLEASE be a direct link to the comments alongside each article? Although you've pretty much done that with the Homepage news list...

Daystar Clarion said:
Pub Club Master Race!

[HEADING=1]Assemble![/HEADING]
Seconded :)

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
It feels weird right now, but I can totally see me getting used to it give or take a week or two. It's just very different than what I'm used to. However it seems like things will get more efficient for me using this once I get used to it. All in all I kinda like it.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Uh, is it just me, or does that big header thingy eat up a ton of processor time, particularly when switching items? In Seamonkey it's taking up 10% of my E8400 (20% of one core) all the time and 35% (70% of one core) when switching, in Chrome it's taking up about half those numbers. That's gonna be rather brutal on older or lighter hardware.

Also, trivial complaint: Pubclubbers have an ad for the Pubclub at the bottom of the page, just above the search box.

AzraelSteel

Aug 11, 2009
I like the new web design - the previous "4 recent things" at the top let a lot of content pass me by at first. One question though - should say, the new Critical Miss be showing in the recent scroll? Because it isn't currently, and it probably should be. Otherwise, aside from delving into the news feed or manually checking it, it isn't anywhere on the front page.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Hmm.. doesn't really matter to me. Everytime I go on the Escapist I click the 'news' icon first, and catch up on every post scrolling down/ and stay there :p