Check out The Escapist's Updated Layout!

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Eh. Still trying to figure out where the new stuff scrolls around. I'm missing out on videos and such the day they come out.

The "schedule" is a nice touch though. Now I can stop guessing when videos are posted :p

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Zydrate said:
Eh. Still trying to figure out where the new stuff scrolls around. I'm missing out on videos and such the day they come out.

The "schedule" is a nice touch though. Now I can stop guessing when videos are posted :p
The schedule should also link to the most recent episode in each series. Newest videos can be seen on the videos tab of the new header, here:

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
gyroscopeboy said:
Looks great, however there is a buttload of white space above the header...means instant scrolling to read content.

Also..any chance of a responsive implementation? The escapist has always been a ***** to read on a phone.

An example of it being done right [http://www.smashingmagazine.com/]
There shouldn't be any white space above the header, unless you're referring to our "motto of the moment", which is a publisher's club feature.

You may also accidentally be employing an adblocker, in which case we suggest you turn it off or 'whitelist' The Escapist.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Nasrin said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Is there a way to darken the main panel?
To the right of article title's there should be a little "Aa" symbol. Hover over it for a drop down menu. It allows you to adjust the panel color, font and size.

apparently, I already have it as dark as it'll go. Damn.

Ah well, thanks!

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i find it more confusing. the previous one was much better and easier to get around. where is the drop down menu for the video section? was so much simpler to just move your mouse over it and click on the section you want like "trailers".
now its a mess. dont like it.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Nasrin said:
Zydrate said:

The schedule should also link to the most recent episode in each series. Newest videos can be seen on the videos tab of the new header, here:
If I may offer one thing: That top bit scrolls a bit too fast. The time it takes for me to read the header, see the picture, my interest to be piqued, and then to finally click on it... Well, let's just say I've gone to the next article accidentally because it scrolled as soon as I clicked.

Just an idea. Add an extra second or two (Or whatever :D)

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Nasrin said:
Lord Krunk said:
It'll take a bit of getting used to, but I don't mind it.

My only major qualm is that the 'recent forum posts' on the main page are gone now. I liked being able to easily see if there were updates on certain RPs I frequent.
Are you sure?

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was referring to how on the previous version of the site, my latest two posts on the forums would appear along with the threads' post counts on the top right hand corner of the main page.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Nasrin said:
ultrachicken said:
My concern is that the "latest threads" page is no longer linked to on the homepage, and when I do go to it, I get a bunch of code instead of the usual layout.
Do you mean this "latest threads" forum box or something else?
Previously, under the "Forums" dropbox, there were links to pages that displayed "Latest Threads" and "Hot Threads." Just my preferred way of browsing the forums when I'm bored.

My complaint regarding code appearing rather than a typical page can be disregarded as me accidentally clicking an RSS link without realizing it.

EDIT: Double quote? That's a new one.

Stuntcrab

Apr 2, 2010
Its nice but now the screen is too wide for me, There is a large black line on each side making me have to either zoom out or get used to smaller writing and scroll to the right if I want to change the page.

Other than that issue I like it.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
...Can you guys like, just give us more of a heads up? Or at least ask us if we're okay with the current format?

Much like the layout before the last, I got used to the most recent one and now you just 'had' to change it again. I know it may piss you guys off to see a meaningless 'I don't like change' post like this but if I don't vent 'somewhere' I'm going to just have some pent up rage. I 'really' wish this would stop happening.

So essentially, it's gonna take some getting used to. I like everything below the big header box, it works for the most part.

But for now, I'm just going to be a little butthurt for a bit and I don't really care if anyone is offended by it.

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Kyogissun said:
...Can you guys like, just give us more of a heads up? Or at least ask us if we're okay with the current format?
We posted this article about the layout being updated a week ago and it has been hosted on our homepage every day since. We're sorry that you don't feel it was enough warning, but we did sincerely try to make people aware beforehand.

Voxgizer

Jan 12, 2011
Is there a way to set it back to the last layout, or am I stuck with this new one? I liked the look of the old one better.

halfeclipse

Nov 8, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
halfeclipse said:

That took me maybe 5 seconds to find? Comeon, there's a few things that could be improved, but you're just not trying.
Except it doesn't scroll out for me. When I hover my cursor over my avatar nothing happens. See how it becomes rather difficult to log out when the "LOG OUT" option doesn't scroll down.
update your browser, or allow java script.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
halfeclipse said:
Casual Shinji said:
halfeclipse said:

That took me maybe 5 seconds to find? Comeon, there's a few things that could be improved, but you're just not trying.
Except it doesn't scroll out for me. When I hover my cursor over my avatar nothing happens. See how it becomes rather difficult to log out when the "LOG OUT" option doesn't scroll down.
update your browser, or allow java script.
I already contacted the Escapist, and the problem's been solved.

Apparently it was the Compatability View screwing things up, but I got it turned off now.

May 5, 2010
Not sure if I've posted here since I got the update (not a pub club member), but what the hell:

I like it. It solves pretty much all my problems with the old redesign: The annoying drop-down menus, the scrolly-things my mouse would get stuck on as I scrolled....And actually, that's about it. But there's also about a million improvements. I like how the "Popular Forum Posts" thing is closer, pretty much all the content is WAY more easily accessible....You guys should be proud. This is a really good redesign.

I suppose if I had one complaint, it would everything black or really, REALLY dark blue. It looks pretty depressing. Other then that, though, everything looks and works GREAT. I really can't stress that enough.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Nasrin said:
Nazulu said:
Still too much white, looks incomplete, and I don't like the layout of the drop down menu under my avatar. Maybe put lines underneath each part so it's more clear.
Where are you seeing white? There shouldn't be very much.
There's heaps you mean. The whole top menu and where all the conversations are. Can we please just have an option for other colours? It gives me a headache after a while.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
I'm pretty okay with the new design so far. Some stuff will take getting use to.

Two things I noticed that are either unfinished bits or glitches:

1. The setting in my browsing options 'don't let headline, video panel, etc rotate automatically' doesn't work. Front page stuff is rotatey as all get out.

2. I'm using the up-to-date version of Firefox. Escapist's new layout now gives me this lovely horizontal scroll bar. The page is too big for my screen now. It goes all the way over to 'Reply Quot' and cuts off at the e in quote. 'Topic Inde'. It doesn't effect reading posts, as those appear to fit my page perfectly. It's just the outer table border size?

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Nazulu said:
Nasrin said:
Nazulu said:
Still too much white, looks incomplete, and I don't like the layout of the drop down menu under my avatar. Maybe put lines underneath each part so it's more clear.
Where are you seeing white? There shouldn't be very much.
There's heaps you mean. The whole top menu and where all the conversations are. Can we please just have an option for other colours? It gives me a headache after a while.
The top menu? You mean our "motto of the moment"?

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding exactly what you mean and a screenshot would greatly assist me in assessing your concerns.

Eric Morales

Dec 6, 2011
These are both minor concerns, but the little things add up so:

It seems to take a lot of clicks to get to the video galleries. If I want to pull up an old Zero Punctuation or see what Moviebob had to say about a film that came out a while ago it takes like two or three pages just to get to the gallery.

Also, I miss having the links to your last two forum posts right on the front page. That was useful when there was a topic I was especially interested in.

Again, these are really just minor inconveniences, but interface 101: the fewer clicks the better.