Check Your Privilege!

Crystalite

Apr 2, 2010
Well, I have had random-ass, badly thought out "quizzes" not apply to me because I'm not american, so...

But seriously. Many of the money questions aren't an issue where I live, because we have healthcare. Also we don't have tuition for college (well, as good as none, anyway). Same goes for the language questions. Obviously I have never been called a dyke, because hey, english word.
And then some questions... "Are your parents heterosexual"? Like how the frig would I know that?
They're of opposite genders, but at what point do you sit your child down and tell them "oh yes, I'm married to your mother, but I totally like dudes as well." Does that ever happen?

I dunno, so much of this is just silly.
And thats not even considering that putting a numerical value to an abstract concept like this is ridiculous.

Apollo45

Jan 30, 2011
49/100. Not privileged, apparently, despite being a straight white male in a middle class, accepting family. I'm pretty sure this quiz is shit.

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
I'm 78/100 although I guess I could say 77/100 because I answered I don't know what salle may, I knew what it was, but I never felt the need for it.

Pogilrup

Apr 1, 2013
This quiz is too binary.

I've never been bullied for being gay, but I have been bullied due to rumors of me being gay.

Not to mention some of the questions should be N/A such as the ones involving relationships due to me never having a relationship closer than classmate.

Heck, the use of a simple checklist will not suffice. In fact, I once jokingly proposed the idea of measuring social privilege as a machine learning problem in my classes.

My hypothesis is that social privilege is best measured by a general likelihood of discrimination that is a probability value between 0 and 1.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
LetalisK said:
rutger5000 said:
The stuff you mention about bacteria in your digestive tract gives food for thought. But isn't whatever passes to your digestive tract supposed to still have some nutritious value? Those bacteria aren't there for no reason, and they do need to be fed.
The best way I can explain it is that pointing out that it's basically the same thing as lactose intolerance, but for fructose. All the discomfort and digestive problems a lactose intolerant person experiences is because the lactose doesn't get absorbed and the bacteria uses it instead(in addition to what they normally use), which leads to lots of waste and such from the bacteria, causing things like cramps, diarrhea, etc. Same thing happens with fructose if your body doesn't absorb it.

Honestly if you stick with a healthy vegetarian diet than you eat your belly full, and you'll keep a healthy weight. But I'm not a diet expert so I'm not capable of explaining the fine details of the how and why of the matter. I could ask around if you want, but if you're so confused about eating habits that you truly think that quantity is more important than quality, than I suggest you'll do some researching on your own.
I'm already intimately involved with nutrition and exercise due to my job(s) being very physically demanding and requiring a high level of physical fitness and health. Mind you, I never claimed curbing quantity over quality was an ideal way of losing weight, just that quantity was a bigger problem for Americans than quality(which is still a problem, but quantity is a larger and easier issue to tackle, imo). An ideal diet would have control of both quantity and quality.
Just to put in as a north american who's done the whole diet thing - the quantity/quality deal isn't as easily separable as one would think, at least as far as a lot of food here goes.

What I noticed was that the lowest quality food (read: cheapest) was by far the most calorie dense and simultaneously the least filling. So if you're poor or cheap you get into a nasty situation where the only food you can buy is really high in calories, doesn't fill you up, and doesn't give you an allotment of your vitamins and minerals and whatnot. So as a result, you want to eat more because you aren't full (small portions, high in calories) and you have cravings for certain foods even after you're finally full (vitamin/mineral deficiency), despite the fact that the first serving did you for the required calories for that meal.

The biggest stride in my weight loss came from convincing myself that it is OK to spend more than $2 per meal. Making myself a salad roughly the size of the standard amount of microwaved pasta I would previously consume for supper made me feel as though I had eaten a four course meal by the end, at around half of the calories.

Oh, OT:

Trailer park youth makes me question my high level of privilege, but I suppose the combination of health care, white and male counts for a lot.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Deadcyde said:
Hmmm, guess it's because women aren't less privileged then men where I am.
Two seconds on the internet and I know that's untrue.

But besides that, you jumped immediately to FEMINISTS! when there were no grounds to. Hell, given where you're from I'm going out on a limb and saying being white doesn't particularly reap you privilege, but you didn't blame black people for staging this list.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
I somehow got 76. Despite the fact that I'm of a racial minority in the area I live in, despite being very far behind on student loans, and despite the fact that I work a dead-end job at a fast food place and have little money to my name. Apparently being secure about my religious beliefs and sexuality is enough to put me really high up in terms of privilege.

Something tells me this test is bull.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Deadcyde said:
Females are encouraged to be employed in "male dominated workforces".. this isn't the other way around
usually because the numbers are tiny...why is this? many people sepculate...lack of interest? lack of encouragment at earlyer levels? being generally off putting?...for example its no secret the tech industry is full of sexism. They are also certainly not encouraged to go into trades which is definetly a sausage fest

[quote/]Females have rape counsellors medical facilities dedicated to the treatment of rape, men do not..
Majority of homeless are male, the vast majority...[/quote]

that does not cancel out sexism...sexism does not cancel out that

Shuu

Apr 23, 2013
I got a 62, which, since it's not a flat zero, according to the rules of the internet, means I am not allowed to complain about anything, ever I guess.
Ha! Try and stop me, MAKING A LIVING IS HARD MAN!!

Pogilrup

Apr 1, 2013
Ok being semi-serious here.

Do any of you think that, while this quiz is flawed in its calculations, there exists a function that can take a person's sex, gender, race, nationality, religion,and other demographics, as input and outputs a probability value representing the likelihood of a person being systematically discriminated?

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
61/100

I really can't say I'm surprised. I've been pretty sheltered as a kid to be honest.

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
71 out of 100

You're quite privileged. You've had a few struggles, but overall your life has been far easier than most. This is not a bad thing, nor is it something to be ashamed of. But you should be aware of your advantages and work to help others who don't have them. Thank you for checking your privilege.

Yup, pretty much how I already feel lol

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
I checked my privilege once. It didn't have an expiry date on it, so I left in my fridge in the dairy section right by the milk.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
Considering I'm waist-deep in debt, Hispanic, employed in an unpaid internship and overweight, I am surprised that I'm pretty privileged at 63/100. Neat.

Also, I find that ending message just a tad bit condescending.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I got 56, the quiz doesn?t really work for a 17 year old but it is still pretty interesting, however I do kind of dislike how the quiz doesn?t always have a asexual answer.

Donzacuceron

Sep 22, 2012
37/100 though it would have been lower if being white didn't count since my country isn't really racially diverse.Also having both parents ? My father was an abusive drunk If anything life would have been easier on me without him.This quiz wrongly defines privilege as the opposite of oppression which is bull

Deadcyde

Jan 11, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Deadcyde said:
Hmmm, guess it's because women aren't less privileged then men where I am.
Two seconds on the internet and I know that's untrue.

But besides that, you jumped immediately to FEMINISTS! when there were no grounds to. Hell, given where you're from I'm going out on a limb and saying being white doesn't particularly reap you privilege, but you didn't blame black people for staging this list.
*sighs* You didn't do any research at all. Simple fact is there are no laws that place women second to men here in Australia and most of the west. Women can do anything men can do and are in fact encouraged to (apart from that which is physically impossible) in fact any position of power in Australia has been held by a woman as well as a man so please... enlighten me how being a man affords me any more privilege then a woman.

As for the white = privilege thing.. just recently indigenous communities in Australia were under martial law. That's concrete proof of a discrepancy of rights. Homosexual marriage is still forbidden under Australian law. That is concrete proof of a privilege discrepancy.

So forgive me if I think colour or sexual orientation is actually discriminated against.

As for the feminist thing... who else would think simply being born a male is a privilege?

Vault101 said:
Deadcyde said:
Females are encouraged to be employed in "male dominated workforces".. this isn't the other way around
usually because the numbers are tiny...why is this? many people sepculate...lack of interest? lack of encouragment at earlyer levels? being generally off putting?...for example its no secret the tech industry is full of sexism. They are also certainly not encouraged to go into trades which is definetly a sausage fest
Or because the jobs don't generally allow flexibility for family. And the female to male ratio in the tech industry is better then the male to female ratio of community services. In fact the number of females in the workplace has climbed by 5 percent across the board in the last 10 years where males hasn't changed by even half a percent. That translates to no stay at home dads, even mining and labouring has seen an increase in female workers. Has nursing seen an increase in men? nope. Has there been less men in the workplace so as to become stay at home dads? nope. It's taught in schools that girls can be whatever they want, even if they want a man to "look after them" the rest of their lives. But boys? yeah, they still beat boys for playing with dolls.

[quote/]

that does not cancel out sexism...sexism does not cancel out that[/quote]

That's pretty solid proof there that being a male offers as many pitfalls and privileges as being a woman and that sexism goes both ways in equal quantity.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
Well as amusing as this "test" was, its just plain wrong on so many levels. I have answered all questions truthfully, or left those i couldnt answer blank. Apparently my privilege counts in at 57/100, which is quite privileged.

Alright fact-checking.

Not male.
Not heterosexual.
Not "white".
Atheist.
Antisocial Personality Disorder.

I suppose the privilege is because i have never been threatened or treated differently because of these factors. If thats the case, well Europe seriously makes you privileged. I feel sorry for ya americans.

adamsaccount

Jan 3, 2013
You live with 35 out of 100 points of privilege.

You?re not privileged at all. You grew up with an intersectional, complicated identity, and life never let you forget it. You?ve had your fair share of struggles, and you?ve worked hard to overcome them. We do not live in an ideal world and you had to learn that the hard way. It is not your responsibility to educate those with more advantages than you, but if you decide you want to, go ahead and send them this quiz. Hopefully it will help.

It made me feel better, but I dont think its true