Choo choo! All aboard the Complain Train!

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I got into an accident this morning. I was rear ended and side swiped by the same car. I am fine, and surprisingly the car is not wrecked. Thank god I have auto insurance. The person who rear ended me and is fine too.
Glad you're ok.

How did it work that you got rear ended and side swiped by the same car?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Glad you're ok.

How did it work that you got rear ended and side swiped by the same car?
It was raining and the guy came into too fast with messed up breaks. He rear ended me, and caused my car to be turned and hit the car door on the from driver's side. Causing me to drive into grass median. I am picking up my rental car first thing in the morning.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Nearly twelve hours at the office today. Excuses of "I told you the schedule would be dictated by the workload" from the manager who absolutely did not tell me about twelve-hour workdays during the interview process. I'm quitting tomorrow. It might ruin me, but staying absolutely will.
I got into an accident this morning. I was rear ended and side swiped by the same car. I am fine, and surprisingly the car is not wrecked. Thank god I have auto insurance. The person who rear ended me and is fine too.
You had an even worse day than me. Glad you're alright.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Whelp, today I got my last unemployment check. Definitely better get a job soon.

I mean, I'm still good until the end of the year before I actually start dipping into my savings at all, and I can live off my savings without touching my retirement money for another 2 years if I need, but I'd really rather not have it come to that.

On the plus side, I did have 4 interviews within the last week so maybe something will materialize.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Got rear-ended the other week Friday after leaving work a few minutes early to start my vacation (that’ll teach me I guess). Already got the insurance money for my totaled car which was more than I could’ve gotten out of it myself so yay there. But my X-rays showed moderate to severe damage in a few parts of my neck, so am now waiting to have an MRI scheduled. I do feel some pain turning my head certain ways/angles, but otherwise it *seems* fine. I also hate car shopping, so there’s that.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Got rear-ended the other week Friday after leaving work a few minutes early to start my vacation (that’ll teach me I guess). Already got the insurance money for my totaled car which was more than I could’ve gotten out of it myself so yay there. But my X-rays showed moderate to severe damage in a few parts of my neck, so am now waiting to have an MRI scheduled. I do feel some pain turning my head certain ways/angles, but otherwise it *seems* fine. I also hate car shopping, so there’s that.
Cripes. Glad you came out of it at least mostly intact. is a neck brace in order?

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Cripes. Glad you came out of it at least mostly intact. is a neck brace in order?

It depends on what an MRI shows but will probably need something. The PA was trying to downplay it at first like oh these things happen a lot and your symptoms have improved (I just said it was feeling better than at first but not good), how about we prescribe muscle relaxants and do you want to try therapy, etc. I said it’s deeper and closer to the vertebra than muscle pain when I turn my neck and then he said we can do X-Rays. Then I get a voicemail today like, “We have your results if you could please call us back as soon as you can.” Ugh.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@Dirty Hipsters, @The Rogue Wolf, and @hanselthecaretaker2,

An update on the car situation: my insurance companies is counting the vehicle as totaled, even though it can drive fine. They call my brother and I, and will give me the details next week on Thursday. So I have to do car shopping too now. The insurance company will pay off the rest of my auto loan and will give me starting cash to pay for a new car.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
An update on the car situation: my insurance companies is counting the vehicle as totaled, even though it can drive fine. They call my brother and I, and will give me the details next week on Thursday. So I have to do car shopping too now. The insurance company will pay off the rest of my auto loan and will give me starting cash to pay for a new car.
They might've determined that the underlying damage made the car unsafe to drive.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
They might've determined that the underlying damage made the car unsafe to drive.
With mine they offered an option to keep it if I wanted to have it fixed, but subtracting the amount it was worth after the accident from the payout, which is a natural incentive to ditch it. Cars are never really the same after frame damage anyways.

@Dirty Hipsters, @The Rogue Wolf, and @hanselthecaretaker2,

Happy car hunting. I’m going out to look tomorrow too. Would be nice to get one since I’m not sure if my insurance will offer an extension on the rental coverage after tomorrow anyways.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Yeah, my job started having me come into the office two days a week a couple of months ago for no reason other than my boss' boss' boss is an old school bastard who just wants people in the office. Not for meetings, not because any of my duties require I be there, literally and arbitrarily "just because." What really grinds my gears is that the guy who made the call to have us come in travels a lot and is rarely in the office himself, so on Mondays and Wednesdays, I find myself in the office, glaring at his empty chair and wondering why I'm putting the miles on my car and burning up the gas for an asshole who isn't even there to gloat and appreciate he's making me do it.
Wife, who WFH full time told the boss she needs time to heal from surgery coming up. About 1 week later, they laid her off. Smart!!! I warned her the odds of her getting another WFH gig are very short. For some reason, with our concerns about gas, the environment, road congestion, cost of work spaces and more, they want us back. I went from WFH to 2 days, to 3 days back in the office, 5 days approaching I'm sure. Thank g-d I'm old and nearing retirement.
I'm excited that my kid just bought a home but she works in a tech biz and the tech world is facing a roller coaster economy that will hit them 1st. She may boomerang and come right back to my house. We'll see. That's if the boy doesn't move in 1st with his bride as they need to save up a nest egg if they're ever going to buy a home. Home prices have more than tripled since I bought mine. Y'know what didn't triple? My income!
And there appears to be a black cloud following me. Been in my house 25 years and EVERYTHING is taking turns breaking requiring replacement.
At least I've got my new PC build that I just realized is now over a year old!!! That was fast!!!
I really loved Deadpool 3. So I got that going for me.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I'm officially in my mid-30s now so I figured I should probably learn something about fashion rather than just wearing jeans and tee-shirts for every occasion. If I keep dressing the way I do I might get a little too Steve Buscemi.

1723339289004.gif

Anyway, trying to learn about men's fashion online seems to be a completely futile effort.

You either have guys who are so good looking and in shape that their opinions don't matter because they can wear anything. I've seen them rock outfits that would make anyone else look like the pedophile uncle the rest of the family avoids.

Then on the other hand you have guys who dress absolutely terribly, but seem to have a lot of opinions about fashion. And I don't mean absolutely terribly as in "I don't like that style" I mean absolutely terrible as in their clothing doesn't even fit them right.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm officially in my mid-30s now so I figured I should probably learn something about fashion rather than just wearing jeans and tee-shirts for every occasion. If I keep dressing the way I do I might get a little too Steve Buscemi.

View attachment 11657

Anyway, trying to learn about men's fashion online seems to be a completely futile effort.

You either have guys who are so good looking and in shape that their opinions don't matter because they can wear anything. I've seen them rock outfits that would make anyone else look like the pedophile uncle the rest of the family avoids.

Then on the other hand you have guys who dress absolutely terribly, but seem to have a lot of opinions about fashion. And I don't mean absolutely terribly as in "I don't like that style" I mean absolutely terrible as in their clothing doesn't even fit them right.
I pick whatever works for me. I change it up every now and then, but I go my own way.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I'm officially in my mid-30s now so I figured I should probably learn something about fashion rather than just wearing jeans and tee-shirts for every occasion.
That’s easy. Black jeans paired with collared shirt and leather shoes for smart casual, tuck collared shirt in for work.

Blue jeans and t-shirt for all other occasions.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
That’s easy. Black jeans paired with collared shirt and leather shoes for smart casual, tuck collared shirt in for work.

Blue jeans and t-shirt for all other occasions.
I am very much not a fan of tucking in shirts. Anytime I move around it gets a little un-tucked and mushrooms out around my midsection and makes me look like I have a bit of belly. I work very hard at the gym to not have a belly, and that work gets immediately undercut by society's obsession with making you put your shirt inside of your pants for some reason.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I am very much not a fan of tucking in shirts. Anytime I move around it gets a little un-tucked and mushrooms out around my midsection and makes me look like I have a bit of belly. I work very hard at the gym to not have a belly, and that work gets immediately undercut by society's obsession with making you put your shirt inside of your pants for some reason.
Supposedly, this is only caused by poorly fitting shirts. Something to do with how well your arm sleeves fit. But there are also tuck in belts that you can wear under your pants to always guarantee a good tuck. That said, yeah. The tuck in look for me is nice for about 5 seconds, and then I sit down and it goes to shit.

Oversized fits are in these days. Personally as stocky person, I don't think the oversized look always works for me, but I can see the appeal. They're quite comfy.

Anyway, like the others said, ain't nothing wrong with tees and jeans. I'd probably throw in some nice jackets to mix things up, and get nicer shoes if applicable. But what matters most is that you have good quality and good fitting basics. I've seen people try to dress nicer but just go for expensive brands and unique colors without actually making sure they fit right. Given how clothes are made, unless you are an average guy, getting your clothes altered (or knowing how to style ill fitting clothes) is a necessity.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Given how clothes are made, unless you are an average guy, getting your clothes altered (or knowing how to style ill fitting clothes) is a necessity.
I get all of my suits and sport coats tailored (my shoulders are quite wide compared to my waist so off the rack suits always hang weird on me). I've never bothered getting shirts tailored, but maybe I should start. Typically I've just bought slim-fit shirts, but during my unemployment I've gotten a bit larger in the chest and shoulders because I've had more time to work out so the slim-fit shirts I have are getting noticeably too tight (part of the reason I started trying to learn about fashion since I'll need to buy more shirts in the near future).

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I get all of my suits and sport coats tailored (my shoulders are quite wide compared to my waist so off the rack suits always hang weird on me). I've never bothered getting shirts tailored, but maybe I should start. Typically I've just bought slim-fit shirts, but during my unemployment I've gotten a bit larger in the chest and shoulders because I've had more time to work out so the slim-fit shirts I have are getting noticeably too tight (part of the reason I started trying to learn about fashion since I'll need to buy more shirts in the near future).
I've mostly gotten collared long sleeved shirts tailored, I feel like regular tees probably don't need the extra effort (unless they are too long, that definitely kills the look of a tee). I was mostly talking about pants getting tailored as well, I think men tend to neglect how much a good pair of pants will do for you. I mean, it is clothing the majority of our bodies.