Choo choo! All aboard the Complain Train!

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I've mostly gotten collared long sleeved shirts tailored, I feel like regular tees probably don't need the extra effort (unless they are too long, that definitely kills the look of a tee). I was mostly talking about pants getting tailored as well, I think men tend to neglect how much a good pair of pants will do for you. I mean, it is clothing the majority of our bodies.
I've never felt the need to get pants tailored, I only ever buy well-fitting pants (as far as I know).

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I am very much not a fan of tucking in shirts. Anytime I move around it gets a little un-tucked and mushrooms out around my midsection and makes me look like I have a bit of belly. I work very hard at the gym to not have a belly, and that work gets immediately undercut by society's obsession with making you put your shirt inside of your pants for some reason.
Thank you. Most grievous male fashion error in history. Same with female dress shoes. My wife had to see a podiatrist who readily admitted there simply isn’t a such thing as a comfortable/functional female dress shoe.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
My aunt died last Friday of Alzheimer's. My cousin had pretty much quit his life and took care of her during the decline the last two years.

I dropped everything and drove home as he was depressed and needed someone to keep him company. Its not that he doesn't have other friends its just that everyone elses has kids and lives where as Im a bachelor and allowed a lot of leeway to come and go as I please.

I spent the last week being fun, chipper, and entertaining and taking care of everything. Spent every day all day taking to bars or the beach or whatever. We did the cremation yesterday. Im not really that kind of person. I didn't realize how much of a toll it took on me until I spent the 4h drive home crying.

I gotta go back in a couple weeks for the wake. Im not sure what my feelings are or if Im mourning my aunt or Im just tired.

I don't talk to people irl about this stuff Im just venting.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
My aunt died last Friday of Alzheimer's. My cousin had pretty much quit his life and took care of her during the decline the last two years.

I dropped everything and drove home as he was depressed and needed someone to keep him company. Its not that he doesn't have other friends its just that everyone elses has kids and lives where as Im a bachelor and allowed a lot of leeway to come and go as I please.

I spent the last week being fun, chipper, and entertaining and taking care of everything. Spent every day all day taking to bars or the beach or whatever. We did the cremation yesterday. Im not really that kind of person. I didn't realize how much of a toll it took on me until I spent the 4h drive home crying.

I gotta go back in a couple weeks for the wake. Im not sure what my feelings are or if Im mourning my aunt or Im just tired.

I don't talk to people irl about this stuff Im just venting.
My sincere condolences. We each deal with loss in different ways, so while you may be confused with what you're feeling, don’t deny what you feel and how you feel it. If a long drive feels like the right time to let it out and cry, do so without question.

Reactions: gorfias

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
So it finally happened, the company started doing layoffs. Except, they're keeping it all under wraps and generally very scummy and underhanded. Which I thought our company was above. Everyone, even though they aren't directly affected, is in such low spirits. I've never seen my direct manager so emotional.

Intellectually I know that companies aren't your friends, but I guess my heart really thought we were different. I wasn't a hard line company man, but I liked to think that our company was proof that things could be done right, that the silly traditions and hierarchies of corporations were going to be things of the past.

I myself wasn't laid off, but for how long will that last? This is my first job, so I'm not exactly excited to go on yet another job hunting adventure when the market is so poor.

All this, adding on to the stress of my girlfriend leaving (more or less permanently) to further education abroad. We sat down and had serious conversation, and that really helped. But it also made the hurdles that I need to overcome quantifiable, and I realized just how far I am from being able to do that.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
My mom recently commented offhandedly that she thinks I'm autistic. I'm 44; she could have shared that sentiment by now. Then today, my cousin texted to say she thinks we're both "on the spectrum." Gee, thanks? Given the coincidence, I texted an ex, a woman I dated for about 5 years who arguably knows me better than anyone and is still a really good friend to relay these statements, and get her thoughts. She normally responds within an hour or so; nope, she responded in less than a minute that she agrees I'm "on the spectrum." WTF?!? I asked her why she thought so, and again within a minute, her response, verbatim: "Ummm it's been a while, but definitely the way you dress, the way you eat and everything you like and think and do."

Thank God she's not a psychologist; her tact fucking sucks. This was mild therapy, not triage; she could have picked anyone one of those things and let me ruminate, but instead dropped my entire identity in my lap as evidence. I'm not normally self-conscious; now, I don't think I could tie my shoes without wondering who's been passing judgement or diagnosing me from afar.

Also, now curious if I actually AM "on the spectrum." One person is an opinion, but several is evidence of a quorum.

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
My mom recently commented offhandedly that she thinks I'm autistic. I'm 44; she could have shared that sentiment by now. Then today, my cousin texted to say she thinks we're both "on the spectrum." Gee, thanks? Given the coincidence, I texted an ex, a woman I dated for about 5 years who arguably knows me better than anyone and is still a really good friend to relay these statements, and get her thoughts. She normally responds within an hour or so; nope, she responded in less than a minute that she agrees I'm "on the spectrum." WTF?!? I asked her why she thought so, and again within a minute, her response, verbatim: "Ummm it's been a while, but definitely the way you dress, the way you eat and everything you like and think and do."

Thank God she's not a psychologist; her tact fucking sucks. This was mild therapy, not triage; she could have picked anyone one of those things and let me ruminate, but instead dropped my entire identity in my lap as evidence. I'm not normally self-conscious; now, I don't think I could tie my shoes without wondering who's been passing judgement or diagnosing me from afar.

Also, now curious if I actually AM "on the spectrum." One person is an opinion, but several is evidence of a quorum.
1724277065625.png

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
A post elsewhere reminded me of a pet peeve.

Simply I hate that all the controls are a computer touch screen instead of buttons. That's just a terrible idea. The fact the high end Teslas don't even have steering wheels is even worse.
Too many cars are putting in touchscreens and capacitive buttons instead of regular knobs and click buttons. Because having to take your eyes off the road to see what you're interacting with is a brilliant idea that couldn't possibly lead to a rise in accidents.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Too many cars are putting in touchscreens and capacitive buttons instead of regular knobs and click buttons. Because having to take your eyes off the road to see what you're interacting with is a brilliant idea that couldn't possibly lead to a rise in accidents.
Fucking THIS. It's especially true of electric cars because Tesla did it so now they have to do it as well.

A significant part of the reason that I bought my Mazda is the "commander knob" that you use to control all the navigation and infotainment stuff while driving so that you don't have to take your eyes off the road.

1724287387493.jpeg

The car also has a touch screen and I literally never use it because I prefer the knob and buttons.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
A post elsewhere reminded me of a pet peeve.

I got the ping in this thread and was horribly confused at first, but (obviously) agreed.

Fucking THIS. It's especially true of electric cars because Tesla did it so now they have to do it as well.

A significant part of the reason that I bought my Mazda is the "commander knob" that you use to control all the navigation and infotainment stuff while driving so that you don't have to take your eyes off the road.

View attachment 11731

The car also has a touch screen and I literally never use it because I prefer the knob and buttons.
Mazda besto! I wish their electric offerings (at least in the states) weren't a joke. But I love my Mazda, and yeah, it took me months to even figure out the screen was a touch screen. Physical controls superior.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I had managed to dodge ever hearing Baby Shark for 9 years. All I have ever known about it is that it's an annoying children's song that people hate and like to annoy each other with.

Well thanks to Umbrella Academy insistently playing it for a joke in their 4th season I now have it stuck in my head and it made going to sleep difficult last night. Also why the fuck am I still watching this terrible show? Each season just gets worse and it's something I should have dropped 2 seasons ago.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I had managed to dodge ever hearing Baby Shark for 9 years. All I have ever known about it is that it's an annoying children's song that people hate and like to annoy each other with.
Huh, still succeeding in that.

Well thanks to Umbrella Academy insistently playing it for a joke in their 4th season I now have it stuck in my head and it made going to sleep difficult last night. Also why the fuck am I still watching this terrible show? Each season just gets worse and it's something I should have dropped 2 seasons ago.
Oh, yeah, when you watch a show that has promise, and you keep watching because maybe this time it won't be awful and you want to know what happens.

As an aside, I'm rewatching Supergirl while typing this.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States

It lost me at the end of season 2. I hate to say it, but found vanya or whatever elliot? pages character is to be insufferable. So much oxygen is taken by interludes of the main characters arguing and storming off to have interludes with other characters where they complain. It never moves the plot forward and you're left twiddling your thumbs waiting for story to happen because it becomes increasingly difficult to be empathetic towards any of them.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Many, many curses and swears.

I have spent 25 years trying to make my home one my missus would love.

My daughter has lived with us rent free for the past 4 years saving for a place. She just bought one so, we'll be empty nesters soon.

My son is a newly wed and he does NOT want to move back in but his wife may so it will be their turn to live rent free for a few years and save to buy their own home but if she does not? My wife says, after 25 years of my efforts, that she has no personal connection with our home and would be happy to move and simplify our lives. And I will lose my gaming room, home theater and home gym so I can live in an over 55 condo. Sigh, my life.

Frick frick frick frick.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
It lost me at the end of season 2. I hate to say it, but found vanya or whatever elliot? pages character is to be insufferable. So much oxygen is taken by interludes of the main characters arguing and storming off to have interludes with other characters where they complain. It never moves the plot forward and you're left twiddling your thumbs waiting for story to happen because it becomes increasingly difficult to be empathetic towards any of them.
Yeah it never gets better.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Vinyl records suck and sound bad. They are the worst way to store music and are worse than CDs and MP3s. Everyone who says otherwise is delusional.

Reactions: BrawlMan

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Vinyl records suck and sound bad. They are the worst way to store music and are worse than CDs and MP3s. Everyone who says otherwise is delusional.
Nostalgia is a hell of a drug, and some people think the imperfections give music "personality". Me, I'd rather feel like I'm in the studio hearing the music being performed.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't even know what that is. Good for me.
I have nothing against vinyl, but they're not my thing.

Orlando airport sucks. My brother and I got there early yesterday, but the check-in line is long. Then some lady and her three daughters/whatever cut in metal detector line. She claimed to be "holding a spot" for them. I beat them to the punch, as a different lady pointed me to a shorter line. The mom also tried to start shit with her ghetto ass, after my brother and I were waiting on his items to get through. I was simply grabbing his suit bag she decided to stand in front and I've even said pardon me and sorry, and she tries to start a fight. I am not giving her any attention and immediately put on my ear phones and turn the MP3 back on. She and her daughter were stuck at the metal detectors, because they had liquids they weren't supposed to be carrying. Sucks to be them. They weren't on the same flight as us, thank God. We did make our flight on time thankfully, but if we ever go to Florida next time, we'll leave at 3AM if we have to.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The worst? Well...I wonder in the days when vinyl was cutting edge if people were nostalgic for using wax tubes or whatever.