Choo choo! All aboard the Complain Train!

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Daytime TV. Jesus Christ give up hope all ye who enter here. Fuuuuuuck.
When The Great Quarantine of 2020 hit, we got exposed to daytime TV, and outside of of watching "Let's Make A Deal" and "The Price IS Right," we avoided everything else at all cost. It's bad. Like, REALLY bad. What's worse are the commercials. We already hated commercials on principle, but the daytime ones that focus on medication, after medication, after medication, then healthcare plans for the elderly, sheesh. I would like for network executives to have pivoted when they realized the only people stuck at home and watching weren't only old people anymore.

We promptly subscribed to several additional streaming services.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
When The Great Quarantine of 2020 hit, we got exposed to daytime TV, and outside of of watching "Let's Make A Deal" and "The Price IS Right," we avoided everything else at all cost. It's bad. Like, REALLY bad. What's worse are the commercials. We already hated commercials on principle, but the daytime ones that focus on medication, after medication, after medication, then healthcare plans for the elderly, sheesh. I would like for network executives to have pivoted when they realized the only people stuck at home and watching weren't only old people anymore.
It's killing me, which is ironic as the only advert that's tempted me is a bare-bones prepaid funeral plan. I go home tomorrow and I don't have any non-streaming TV there. :)

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
It's killing me, which is ironic as the only advert that's tempted me is a bare-bones prepaid funeral plan. I go home tomorrow and I don't have any non-streaming TV there. :)
Oh, yes; let's not forget the funeral planning. I made the joke that ironically, all of the medication and life insurance commercials were making me wish I'd get sick and die.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Daytime TV. Jesus Christ give up hope all ye who enter here. Fuuuuuuck.
I mean agree with the sentiment that Daytime TV is the other place where hope goes to die, but in the age of streaming, why are you subjecting yourself to it willingly?

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I mean agree with the sentiment that Daytime TV is the other place where hope goes to die, but in the age of streaming, why are you subjecting yourself to it willingly?
I'm not at home and there's not great internet here. I'm not used to having so much time to fill!

Reactions: BrawlMan

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
A humbling moment in my post-apocalypse survival plans when the can opener broke and I had to get the tin snips out of the shed.

Reactions: RhombusHatesYou

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
A humbling moment in my post-apocalypse survival plans when the can opener broke and I had to get the tin snips out of the shed.
During poorer, often more homeless years of past, a friend I knew could open cans with a spoon...

But I was impatient and preferred to stab the fuckers with any old knife to saw/push through the rest.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I was under pressure for results, the pasta was already simmering. Oh god I'm middle class.
Understandable quick fixes to please the other humans and health & safety👌 tho hey, I didn't know those tricks for too many years of youth either, so it ain't class exclusive knowledge...more a party trick with apocalyptic uses 😉

Reactions: Baffle

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
My house has termites.

This is rather unsurprising as basically every house in southern California has termites, but that doesn't make me feel better.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
My house has termites.

This is rather unsurprising as basically every house in southern California has termites, but that doesn't make me feel better.
Sorry for your pain. I follow a lot of woodwork stuff on Reddit and termites are one of the few things that make me glad I live in NE England, which termites won't deign to do.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Getting ready for Saturday* so the country can lose it's idiot mind all over again.

*Closing the curtains and praying for rain. Fuck, snow would be fine I guess.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Getting ready for Saturday* so the country can lose it's idiot mind all over again.

You worried about a mass of people simultaneously swearing allegiance via the TV? I am hoping for a mass of speaking simultaneously swearing at the TV.

(Also Charles is a bad name for a king, given what happened to the original. Or a good name, from a certain point of view, I guess)

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
You worried about a mass of people simultaneously swearing allegiance via the TV? I am hoping for a mass of speaking simultaneously swearing at the TV.

(Also Charles is a bad name for a king, given what happened to the original. Or a good name, from a certain point of view, I guess)
Mostly hoping Andrew gets on the sauce and says something offensive/incriminating and someone hands him his arse on a plate on national TV. Ideally one of his relatives as they'll get away with it.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

And myself, I'm genuinely, well, "baffled" at our American society's infatuation with the royal family's goings on, y'know, given we fought a whole revolutionary war to keep them OUT of our business, yet we can't help but keep our noses in theirs. I'm forced to watch the Today Show every morning for about a half an hour, and for over a week, they've allotted a segment to "it's 7 days until the king's coronation... it's 6 days until the king's coronation... it's 5 days until, etc. etc." Can't somebody just hand him the fucking crown already? Why all the pomp and pageantry? I mean, he's been king since his mom died 8 months ago (a month shy of the gestation period of a human fucking being; ) I think we got it by now. Is it British custom to take 8 months to plan and rehearse a parade before one is expected to actually do the job they inherit?

Reactions: Baffle and BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And myself, I'm genuinely, well, "baffled" at our American society's infatuation with the royal family's goings on, y'know, given we fought a whole revolutionary war to keep them OUT of our business, yet we can't help but keep our noses in theirs. I'm forced to watch the Today Show every morning for about a half an hour, and for over a week, they've allotted a segment to "it's 7 days until the king's coronation... it's 6 days until the king's coronation... it's 5 days until, etc. etc." Can't somebody just hand him the fucking crown already? Why all the pomp and pageantry? I mean, he's been king since his mom died 8 months ago (a month shy of the gestation period of a human fucking being; ) I think we got it by now. Is it British custom to take 8 months to plan and rehearse a parade before one is expected to actually do the job they inherit?
Your first mistake was The Today show. I know it's not your fault, and you said forced. So I am assuming your significant other or some other relative likes watching it. Nothing against the Today Show, but there's a reason why I don't watch them a lot. They can be fun at times, but when it comes to stuff like this, I'll happily change the channel or put something else on.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, the US regrets its independence, that's why they like political dynasties and refuse to abandon the Imperial system. You know I'm right.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Your first mistake was The Today show. I know it's not your fault, and you said forced. So I am assuming your significant other or some other relative likes watching it. Nothing against the Today Show, but there's a reason why I don't watch them a lot. They can be fun at times, but when it comes to stuff like this, I'll happily change the channel or put something else on.
You are correct; my gf watches it before she leaves for work, and I can't be arsed to pretend to oversleep 5 days a week. My retaliation is waking her up at 2-3am for Formula 1 coverage.

Eh, the US regrets its independence, that's why they like political dynasties and refuse to abandon the Imperial system. You know I'm right.
I can't outright agree; I think senseless American pride is mostly the culprit. We overtly stalk the UK like someone would stalk an ex, i.e.: follow them on social media, like their posts, benignly ask mutual friends how the ex is doing, and feign happiness for them as they've moved on with their lives, but secretly we're waiting and hoping for a "Harry and Meghan" to burn all their shit to the ground.

As for our regards towards political dynasties, read Animal Farm. All roads lead to oligarchy, even the "freedom" ones; we just so happen to be one of the most recent to travel them and simultaneously be a world's super power... with a brittle economic infrastructure based on those having the least doing the most for those who have the most, because "MAGA," fuck anyone who dares call us on our shit!!!