Choo choo! All aboard the Complain Train!

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Oh boy, time to complain about my job again. So, I'm a rather careful person and have never been seriously injured before (knock-on-wood), but fuck me am I the clumsiest person when it comes to my fingers/hands. Constantly cutting, scraping, skinning, and my favorite, crushing/pinching my finger (which I did earlier: trying to get a lower control arm back in place that wouldn't budge until the exact moment my middle finger was in a position to get smushed half-way down my finger nail. Hopefully won't be to bad of a blister under there). Not even badly or anything, but goddamn is it annoying when wearing gloves, and since it's usually so hot around here, all these little cuts and nicks then get to sting and burn when my sweat getting in them. Plus, those sweaty glove hands keep leaving my hands with the occasional eczema flare up, which is always fun too.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Oh boy, time to complain about my job again. So, I'm a rather careful person and have never been seriously injured before (knock-on-wood), but fuck me am I the clumsiest person when it comes to my fingers/hands. Constantly cutting, scraping, skinning, and my favorite, crushing/pinching my finger (which I did earlier: trying to get a lower control arm back in place that wouldn't budge until the exact moment my middle finger was in a position to get smushed half-way down my finger nail. Hopefully won't be to bad of a blister under there). Not even badly or anything, but goddamn is it annoying when wearing gloves, and since it's usually so hot around here, all these little cuts and nicks then get to sting and burn when my sweat getting in them. Plus, those sweaty glove hands keep leaving my hands with the occasional eczema flare up, which is always fun too.
Get a thin pair of cotton gloves and put them on under the big work gloves. My grandfather used to do that to help keep that sort of thing at bay.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I will never understand why old folks just can't fucking read properly. I've been requesting information from a bunch of them for a feasibility study the whole day, and they either completely ignore my request while still responding, or comply with random parts of the request and leave out others.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I will never understand why old folks just can't fucking read properly. I've been requesting information from a bunch of them for a feasibility study the whole day, and they either completely ignore my request while still responding, or comply with random parts of the request and leave out others.
Man, I hear ya'. My complaint isn't age-specific, but general corporate workplace communication. I LOVE email. With half a brain, you can easily put your thoughts/requests onto the screen, and send them to the necessary party. Now, both parties have a record of the exchange to reference in the future. Where I work, (well, "worked;" same job, but have been working from home since June of 2020,) people loved to catch me a hallway on the way to lunch or the bathroom, and ask a question/make a request expecting me to remember the whole conversation on my way back to my desk, and it got to the point that I'd still listen to them, but then requests they go to their own desk, put it in an email, and I'd get on it.

But since, people have taken to instant messaging, and I HATE it. Everyone thinks just because my online status is green, that I'm available to them right then. It's akin to your neighbor seeing your front door open, and thinks they have the right to just walk in. Besides, records of Skype/Teams exchanges are very clunky, unlike email where I can sort for someone's name and/or specific subject. And as I'm analytics, most questions require my doing research or data mining, so require time; there's rarely anything "instant" about it, so I prefer an email I can reference versus having to IM someone and hoping they're available every time I have a question regarding their request.

It's why restaurants have menus, so you don't have to have a direct exchange with the chef; it's why things you need to build come with instructions, so you're not constantly on the phone with customer service. IT'S COMMON SENSE.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Not so much a complaint as something that's just a minor annoyance. You see, my first name start with N and my last name ends with R. My email adres is basically my full name. Some sites I have accounts on do that thing where they hide your full email adres with asterisks. Which means they turn it into:

n*****r @ emaildomain.com

Ok then, bit awkward innit?

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
American portion sizes are crazy, and I am still not used to them after 16 years of living here. I don't need the equivalent of two meals for every dish/takeout. By the way, the only reason I go out to restaurants is only when I am on a time crunch. And for good reason too.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
American portion sizes are crazy, and I am still not used to them after 16 years of living here. I don't need the equivalent of two meals for every dish/takeout. By the way, the only reason I go out to restaurants is only when I am on a time crunch. And for good reason too.
Split it down to an additional meal. I mean, at that point its money for old rope.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I'm a huge Formula 1 fan, and this weekend, the US is getting it's only F1 race in 2021 only a few hours south of me in Austin, Texas. Last year, I told my girlfriend I wanted to go. I was even entertaining splurging and paying extra for access to the paddock and hopefully meet the drivers and get to see an F1 car up close. I was really excited. I checked every day to see when tickets would go on sale, and when they finally did...

1634747384832.png

And that's the cheapest general admission ticket. Paddock access? Ha! You're coming out of pocket to the tune of a couple THOU$AND. There's a multitude of reasons why F1 is considered a rich man's sport, but when the cheapest tickets are the average Joe's rent or car payment... I mean, c'mon. They're adding a circuit next year in Miami, Florida, and I thought that might be a fun little get away, but we're talking several thousands of dollars between flights, tickets, parking, hotel, food, etc. I'm just bummed. The 2022 schedule is out, and they're coming back to Austin, so I'm planning to save now for next year, but fuck, man; a good seat at and NFL game isn't $500; why should I have to pay $500 to watch F1 from a grassy knoll next to the port-a-potties outside of the circuit?!?

The only "upside" is that feedback from fellow fans who've gone to races say watching on TV is a much more overall enjoyable experience since you get to see more of the action and follow commentary (the cars do almost 200 mph by the stands, so you only see them for a split second every minute and a half or so,) but I want to say I've gone to a race. I want to hear the engines and feel the roar. I want to pay $12 for a Bud Light and meet the drivers. I want to be in that environment with fans equally as excited as myself. Just once!

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'm just gonna throw in that I visited Hong Kong a couple times when I was in the US Navy(because Hong Kong is an easy port call from the US west coast to the middle east). That was the first time I saw a restaurant that said "American Portions served here". And I knew exactly what that meant without even having to ask, which made me feel slightly embarrassed just to be an American at that point(as opposed to other things that makes me far more embarrassed to be an American).

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Yeah, it always seemed to me the the point of actually going to a race of any kind was the stuff surrounding it: being able to get close and see the cars and drivers and the track itself rather than the best viewing of the race. Though, this is where one of the few things where NASCAR comes out on top, because between the oval tracks and stadium design of the tracks means that you can see the whole race unfold from pretty much anywhere in the stands.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yeah, it always seemed to me the the point of actually going to a race of any kind was the stuff surrounding it: being able to get close and see the cars and drivers and the track itself rather than the best viewing of the race. Though, this is where one of the few things where NASCAR comes out on top, because between the oval tracks and stadium design of the tracks means that you can see the whole race unfold from pretty much anywhere in the stands.
Yeah, I don't expect any seat on an F1 circuit to be better than the television broadcast insofar as actually following the race (unless we're talking Monaco; fuck, watch F1 from a yacht? Yes, please. I don't care if I miss the whole race; ) I just want to experience the camaraderie and atmosphere of a race in person. 'round these parts, if you throw a rock, you're 100% guaranteed to hit a Dallas Cowboys fan, but it's very difficult to find F1 fans. I promise you, if I go to a bar Sunday and ask them to change a TV from an NFL game to F1 coverage, I'll be laughed out of the place. Nah, it'll be like ever other F1 race Sunday for me: me and my gf in our "Bottas" t-shirts, staring at each other on our back patio and me texting my dad whenever Hamilton whines about his tyres. At least this one won't be at 5:00 am!

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
I love that footage. Dude is a frickin' legend. I hate to see him retiring after this year.
God, you remember Speed channel? Man, those were the days. All sorts of motorsports throughout the day (rally, F1, NASCAR, monster trucks), and then vehicle movies in the evenings/mornings (I remember as a kid seeing Maximum Overdrive, The Train, and Cannonball* this way).

*Yes, not The Cannonball Run with Burt, but Cannonball (it took a while to find the correct name for this thing), which came out about half a decade earlier and is just, absolutely nuts (and on Youtube, surprisingly).

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Also, to keep in theme with this thread: I am not a fan of these new F1 cars. I know, that with the twin turbo V6s and all the aero going on that they are quicker and safer than old cars, but man do I miss those that I saw on TV as a kid during the early 00's. They had such simple, elegant lines, and those V12 engines were just heavenly to listen to while they scream around the track.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
God, you remember Speed channel? Man, those were the days. All sorts of motorsports throughout the day (rally, F1, NASCAR, monster trucks), and then vehicle movies in the evenings/mornings (I remember as a kid seeing Maximum Overdrive, The Train, and Cannonball* this way).

*Yes, not The Cannonball Run with Burt, but Cannonball (it took a while to find the correct name for this thing), which came out about half a decade earlier and is just, absolutely nuts (and on Youtube, surprisingly).
Unfortunately, I don't recall the Speed channel. I'm a relatively new motorsports fan; started with NASCAR about 6 years ago and led to F1 about 4 years ago. And most recently I've been getting into Indycar since Romain Grosjean and Jimmy Johnson entered the sport. So yeah, the Speed channel sounds like something I need in my life.

Also, to keep in theme with this thread: I am not a fan of these new F1 cars. I know, that with the twin turbo V6s and all the aero going on that they are quicker and safer than old cars, but man do I miss those that I saw on TV as a kid during the early 00's. They had such simple, elegant lines, and those V12 engines were just heavenly to listen to while they scream around the track.
Like I said above, being so new to the sport, the current F1 cars are all I know save for what I've seen in older footage. That said, while I am biased, I think these current cars are gorgeous. This is coming from a guy who loves the H.R. Geiger aesthetic, though, where the organic meets the mechanical; they look less like cars and more like weapons. The older cars look functional and practical, like, you or I could probably get in one a drive it; maybe not at the speeds or technical ability of a professional driver, but we could probably move it. These latest look like they are machines you have to be rigorously trained to handle... I just wanna touch one!

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yeah, I don't expect any seat on an F1 circuit to be better than the television broadcast insofar as actually following the race (unless we're talking Monaco; fuck, watch F1 from a yacht? Yes, please. I don't care if I miss the whole race; ) I just want to experience the camaraderie and atmosphere of a race in person. 'round these parts, if you throw a rock, you're 100% guaranteed to hit a Dallas Cowboys fan, but it's very difficult to find F1 fans. I promise you, if I go to a bar Sunday and ask them to change a TV from an NFL game to F1 coverage, I'll be laughed out of the place. Nah, it'll be like ever other F1 race Sunday for me: me and my gf in our "Bottas" t-shirts, staring at each other on our back patio and me texting my dad whenever Hamilton whines about his tyres. At least this one won't be at 5:00 am!
I'm gonna keep an eye out to see if they're gonna stream the Bathurst 1000 in 2022. If they do, I'll try and point it towards your good self.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I'm gonna keep an eye out to see if they're gonna stream the Bathurst 1000 in 2022. If they do, I'll try and point it towards your good self.
That'd be much appreciated; thank you. Just looked it up; I've seen a few touring car races, so am definitely interested.

Unfortunately, here in the states, if you're not some stereotypically "good ol' boy, redneck" motorsport like NASCAR or drag racing, you don't get much broadcast love. I think I've seen maybe one or two F2 race broadcasts over the years, and it's frustrating because the lower Formula tiers are where drivers graduate from when they enter F1, and I'd like to be able to follow their careers. As it stands for me, new guys just "show up" one day in F1, and I hear the commentators talk about how well they did in F2 and F3, and I'm none the wiser; I get the likes of Yuki Tsunoda who often seems like he doesn't know what he's doing in an F1 car, and it's not fair to him that I hadn't seen his body of work that earned him his F1 seat.