Choo choo! All aboard the Complain Train!

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Visiting my parent's home is weird, I haven't done it in a year and even though that's about normal for me it feels like it has been longer than ever.

I hate it to be honest, it's way too crowded here (I have 2 brothers and one sister, I'm the only one that doesn't live there and don't have good relationships with anyone) and I feel like I can't have a minute to myself, there's noise all the time and I can't avoid getting into arguments with my mom every other moment, like I have to choose between letting her weird passive aggressive comments slide or just argue with her pointlessly, besides considering what my Internet activity has been recently I feel extremely self-conscious about anyone seeing it so I mostly just don't bother with the Internet, because I don't want them looking over my shoulder which is very much something they would do.

I mean to be honest It's just my second day here and it's nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be considering all that's happened and I've had some interesting conversations with my dad (Who's the only one aware I'm seeing a therapist, though he doesn't know why), but you know I still hate it, that's why I'm not there right but I'll have to be back soon, I can't believe I'll be staying here for the rest of the year, that's going to suck.
If you're so miserable, why are you there? And why for the rest of the year?

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
If you're so miserable, why are you there? And why for the rest of the year?
Because I'm stupid and agreed to it even though I hate it because my parents guilt tripped me by reminding me that I never visit and I never call, and since I'm working from home right now I couldn't weasel myself out of it with my usual "But I have to work, excuse!".
Also I owe my dad money right now, that's leverage, it's hard to say no when he reminds me that and it makes me feel like a jerk saying that I just don't want to visit.

I mean there's also the thing that I grew up traveling from one place to another so they're pretty much the only people that I've known all my life so I kinda have some sense of obligation towards them.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Because I'm stupid and agreed to it even though I hate it because my parents guilt tripped me by reminding me that I never visit and I never call, and since I'm working from home right now I couldn't weasel myself out of it with my usual "But I have to work, excuse!".
Also I owe my dad money right now, that's leverage, it's hard to say no when he reminds me that and it makes me feel like a jerk saying that I just don't want to visit.

I mean there's also the thing that I grew up traveling from one place to another so they're pretty much the only people that I've known all my life so I kinda have some sense of obligation towards them.
Ah, the guilt trip: every parent's most lethal weapon... But why must you stay so long?

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Ah, the guilt trip: every parent's most lethal weapon... But why must you stay so long?
Because holidays, they want me there for Christmas and New Year even though all I do is bring the mood down with my unending miserable attitude, also I'm pretty sure my dad's super worried because he finally understood that I've been depressed all my life and the other he told he feels like he fucked up big time for not taking the very obvious signs seriously, also, apparently my friends called them because I've been acting weird, which is true.

I mean it's not like it doesn't make sense but I hate it.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Because holidays, they want me there for Christmas and New Year even though all I do is bring the mood than with my unending miserable attitude, also I'm pretty sure my dad's super worried because he finally understood that I've been depressed all my life and the other he told he feels like he fucked up big time for not taking the very obvious signs seriously, also, apparently my friends called them because I've been acting weird, which is true.

I mean it's not like it doesn't make sense but I hate it.
Got it. I go back home to Ohio about once a year, and while I actually enjoy my family, they can be a bit overbearing with demands on my time. I only get 4-5 days at a time, and I basically walk into to an itinerary of family and extended family who want to see me which leaves me very little time to do my own thing. Every time I find a window to leave, my mom's phone buzzes, and another someone who just found out I was in town wants to visit. I end up stuck at the kitchen table for HOURS, repeating myself to each new visitor about life in Texas, my job, my girlfriend, etc. I can't imagine being stuck in that situation and NOT wanting to be there. Best of luck, bud; sounds like you're in for a long December...

Reactions: Kae

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Random, stupid shit that annoys me.

-VIdeo game covers suffer from a massive lack of creativity. In particular, so many of them just default to "Guy with gun" and call it a day. Even Cyberpunk 2077 falls into this trap but is slightly mitgated by having a "Girl with gun" cover as well. So yay for being slightly less cliche?

Guys, I'm not asking for a guy playing a banjo in a spaceship shooter game but can we at least try for something a little less generic then "I've got a gun" dude(and occasionally dudette).

-A this is more of a gaming article problem. It's not super uncommon whenever a Metal Gear Solid announcement is made in gaming/movie news(normally about the MGS movie perpetually in production), they'll use a screen shot of Big Boss/Naked Snake/Venom Snake instead of Solid Snake when the article where Solid Snake or the first MGS is the subject.

I find it annoying because it's always Big Boss with the Eyepatch used, which should be an easy distinction from Solid and it grinds my gears.

Okay, I'm finished. You can all return to your lives now.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I just find it funny that Giant Bomb of all sites are complaining about something like this. This reminds me of Jim's rant too back in 2016.

At least Doom 4 had the reversible cover and Doom Eternal shows shit actually happening. It's partially why I don't even bother with most shooters anymore. Whenever smaller budget or indie games get a physical release, they at least have good, decent, or covers that standout. 2D and 3D platformers still tend to have better box art than 3rd or 1st person shooters the majority of the time.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Well it's just been five days here and it's already unbearable, if someone could kill me that'd be great.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I have the same problem. Since my Dad died, I am the one who looks after my Mom. She is the main reason I have not moved out of this area where I am constantly surrounded by rabid Trump supporters. I too am the family " rock". Everyone comes to my house for the holidays, I have taken in my sisters and their kids when they had no place to go. My family expects me to be the one to fix everything and have the answers and I would feel guilty leaving them and running off to paradise or something without them instead... Though I have dreamed about doing so after my mom passes, a girl can dream though. I don't know if I actually would do so though when it happens.
I'd think you need to try to find a balance. Family matters. Doing your part matters but at some point, you did your part and need to think about your own needs. I personally wouldn't move away to distance myself from family, but if you genuinely have someplace in mind you'd rather live?
In my case, my folks gave my sisters homes but left me and my missus on our own, in particular figuring we'd be fine and figure it out. We bought a house and my in-laws moved in with us until they passed. My Dad passed while independent. My mom is now becoming feeble, living in a valuable house they put in one sister's name (who lives in that house with my mom.) the other simply got outright a house of lesser value but still pretty valuable, to herself. I sit down to dinner with my 2 sisters one night to catch up and the 1st things from their mouths: Sister 1: I want mom to live with you. Sister 2: When I retire, I'm going to want to live with you. While I've said no to these things for reasons (including, I did my share and my wife is not keen on either of their requests) I still think of this daily. I want them to be OK but not by doing as they're asking.... which I still know puts me on their *$&#$ list. Ah well. There's always gin.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Good ol' Phalanx.

Yeah, I tried to link to that but the new forums get pissy at times if you try to edit them after initial posting. As in, they decide "Fuck you, just gonna flash a generic error no matter how minor the edit is". Which is really annoying when I want to fix a bunch of typos I realized I made a minute too late.

Also, I kinda like to think that guy is playing the theme to Firefly, even though he's not in the game at all and there's no banjo music.

Dany_the_penguin

Apr 5, 2020
I've had a school project I've been working on with a group and got stuck doing all the work at a certain point because my partners wouldn't help. One would try and give up under the guise of easily being demoralized due to their inability to do the task properly, leading to them deciding to just not work. I had an amount of pity for them since I knew the sort of issues they had in general, but this other partner, oooh boy. They were just, one of the most insufferable pieces of shit I have ever had the displeasure of having to work with. Even in the case of someone trying to have a serious conversation with them, they would not take it seriously and decide instead to mock the person talking to them. They would frequently act with the sort of melodramatic condescension "I'm better than you" attitude while simultaneously acting like being miserable is a competition, which they'd still lose because the rest of us have to be around them. I am done putting up with their bullshit and anticipate asking my instructor to never pair me up with them again if possible even with the risk of getting in trouble as a result.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
The sheer existential despair when a power surge restarts your computer at the end of a level.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
What the hell? That's the actual box art? Again: what the hell?
The American side of the publisher wanted to do something to make the box art stand out and not get lost in the glut of shoot em ups. The genre was already oversaturated with space shooters, so you can't exactly blame them for doing that. do you know the guy they use was a very tired Mall Santa. You can actually tell from the picture itself.

Reactions: Dalisclock

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
This frigging song is a workout, bloody hell...and that's before attempting the vocals over it. Bit of a learning curve for these clumsy paws, but bitter determination will prevail! (And alcohol)

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
This frigging song is a workout, bloody hell...and that's before attempting the vocals over it. Bit of a learning curve for these clumsy paws, but bitter determination will prevail! (And alcohol)
Yeesh, are you learning from that tutorial or do you have the sheet music?