Christian Bale Resigns As Batman

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
OutrageousEmu said:
LiquidGrape said:
Actually, I would most certainly disagree with the notion that Begins and TDK were better than Burton's two films.
At least when it comes to Batman Returns, which I still hold as the most thematically substantial adaptation. It juggled biblical retribution and third-wave feminism with BDSM fetishism, among other things. Top that!
None of the other movies had the dialogue "Mistletoe can be deadly if you eat it. But a kiss can be deadlier if you mean it". All the other Batman movies win. Yes, even Batman and Robin. Say what you will about Freeze puns, they didn't mangle dialogue like that.
Well...I don't see how "Let's kick some ice!" is anything but mangling.
The worst line in a Batman film, by the way, is definitely Kilmer's "It's the car, right? Chicks dig the car" from Forever.
Just...eugh.

Now, as for the line you cite, I don't see the problem. Batman Returns obviously works on a level of heightened realism, and the prosaic elements of its script are in tune with that presentation. I would liken it to Wagnerian opera, in a way, considering its reliance on leitmotifs and thematic exaggerations. It's quite an intertextual piece of entertainment, as well, drawing influence and imagery from many varied sources such as the bible and Shakespeare's comedies of error.

I really do like it, but I can certainly understand if it isn't to everyone's taste. Nolan did manage to render the idea of Batman as a semi-realistic construct quite believable, and that's certainly a feat in and of itself.
- I just prefer the more operatic approach to that character.

P.S

On the subject of Returns' leitmotifs, I just have to include this piece of music from the soundtrack.

I absolutely love how it tells you which character is portrayed or alluded to at each particular moment, from Penguin's glockenspiel to Catwoman's strings and Batman's orchestral fanfare. The texture of it all is just gorgeous, I think.

D.S

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
vansau said:
(but we can all agree that those Batman movies weren't nearly as good as <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Begins-Blu-ray-Christian-Bale/dp/B000PC6A3E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322515119&sr=8-1>Batman Begins and <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Knight-BD-Live-Blu-ray/dp/B001GZ6QEC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322515130&sr=8-1>The Dark Knight).
Shame on you for such obvious flame bait, but to hell with it, I'll bite.

Batman does look dated now and even Jack Nicholson's performance doesn't quite hold up as it once did, but Returns is still in my opinion easily the best Batman movie, with amazing visuals, a terrific soundtrack and great actors like Danny DeVito, Christopher Walken and Michelle Pfeiffer giving great performances, and having fun doing so.

I still don't see why so much fuss is made of Nolan's two movies to date. Begins is a typical dull origin movie, and The Dark Knight is massively overrated. It's a well made movie with a couple of great sequences (the opening bank robbery, the convicts on the ferry) and one admittedly incredible performance, but it's not the masterpiece everyone says it is.

And Nolan's fight scenes are shit.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
vansau said:
Prior to this, the duo was tied with Michael Keaton and Tim Burton (but we can all agree that those Batman movies weren't nearly as good as <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Begins-Blu-ray-Christian-Bale/dp/B000PC6A3E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322515119&sr=8-1>Batman Begins and <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Knight-BD-Live-Blu-ray/dp/B001GZ6QEC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322515130&sr=8-1>The Dark Knight).
no we cannot agree with that! Bale is (IMO) a terrible batman, Keaton will always be my Batman, and Jack Nicholson will always be my joker

stop baiting!

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
Sorry I do not agree, Batman Begins was balls...and if it weren't for The Joker/Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight I wouldn't have paid much attention. Nolans batman offends both my eyes and ears when he's on screen, where as Burtons batman makes me actually think about how cool it would be to be a costumed vigilante. Sorry but Burtons films are leagues ahead of Nolans.

Two-Face is my favorite character and where as I loved the Nolan version he ended up dieing at the end so you basically lost all my interest for any future movies. Your obvious flame bait makes me...want to get nuts.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Weren't we told this before The Dark Knight Rises was even announced properly?

"If we do a third film it will definitely be the last."

Vigilantis said:
where as Burtons batman makes me actually think about how cool it would be to be a costumed vigilante.
I'm not surprised you didn't like it if you went in expecting it to just tell you vigilantes are "cool". That's essentially the complete opposite of the film's intention.

the spud

May 2, 2011
Prior to this, the duo was tied with Michael Keaton and Tim Burton (but we can all agree that those Batman movies weren't nearly as good as Batman Begins and The Dark Knight).
WHAT!!! How dare you!!! They were masterpieces!

OT: It's good to see that Christopher Nolan is willing to leave if he truly feels he has other pursuits he'd rather go after.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
Woodsey said:
Weren't we told this before The Dark Knight Rises was even announced properly?

"If we do a third film it will definitely be the last."

Vigilantis said:
where as Burtons batman makes me actually think about how cool it would be to be a costumed vigilante.
I'm not surprised you didn't like it if you went in expecting it to just tell you vigilantes are "cool". That's essentially the complete opposite of the film's intention.
I love how you simplify a part of my message and say "you went in expecting it to just tell you vigilantes are "cool"." I never once said that was my purpose of going to see this movie, I was simply stating that Nolans Batman neither brought out the cool or "Dark Knight" factor as the Burtons Batman did. If you had read the last part of my comment you should have been able to put two and two together and figure out I'm one of those guys who watches Batman movies for the villians story. I honestly hate Batman as a character all around (Superman is better =P ), just stating my opinion that Burtons Batman is far superior.

Batman to me was always the line of good and bad, he had dark traits that he used against other bad guys...Bale couldn't pull that vibe off to save his life where as Keaton just came natural to the role (perhaps it was his beetlejuice experience) If you can't keep interest in the main character the rest of the story falls apart around it. Heath Ledger destroyed Bales performance, and the best parts of the movie (for me) were scenes without Batman in it. When we finally got to the epic conclusion the fight scenes were lackluster (and shite) and my favorite villian died a rather odd death.

Please halt from putting words in other peoples mouths as I would come to expect you to be some sort of internet lawyer. Respect others opinions as they would respect yours.

Rotting Corpse

Aug 24, 2010
I'm sorry, how the hell is this news? Nolan said a long time ago that he was done after this movie. Anyone who's been following any kind of press on this has none this for well over a year at least.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Oh thank whatever entity watch's over us, no more Bale Batman voicing. That was really one of the most horrible things about the films.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
A reboot? Of Batman? For Justice League?

I'm all for this if they use Villains that have NEVER been seen in the live action adaptations...

Killer Croc, Dead Shot, Harley Quinn, Solomon Grundy, Calendar Man...

MAKE THEM HAPPEN GOD DAMN IT!

freakydan

Jan 28, 2010
When Christopher Nolan announced his involvement in The Dark Knight Rises, he mentioned that he was interested in it because it was an end to the story, saying that, in live action, things can't keep going and going like they do in the comics. I'm pretty sure Christian Bale has said that he's not interested in working with anyone but Nolan on this series. None of this is big news.

Stephen O'Hagan

Mar 17, 2010
me and my friend always thought this would happen.

however, why not make a robin trilogy in the nolanverse? like a different robin each film, going through the relationship with each one, showing the mindset behind batman taking on a child.

Fleischer

Jan 8, 2011
Good. Bale did an awesome job with Batman, but he should move on...to do The Fighter sequel. :)