Christians Attack "Gay Agenda" in PC Game

Goldbling

Nov 21, 2008
Abedeus said:
It's times like this I'm seriously considering going Buddhist.

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, YOU ARE AN IDIOT YOU STUPID MORON! Your daughter is just intelligent, and if you are a homophobe, then to hell with you, you intolerant...

Gah. I think I can stop wasting my words, thick skulls cannot be penetrated by any force. Except for a physical one.
agreed. there is way to much gy-hating going on in the christain community, and its exausting sticking up for my stupid ass gay bashing peers whom just happen to be christain

letsnoobtehpwns

Dec 28, 2008
What's with all the hate? I'm a CATHOLIC CONSERVATIVE and I think that it's ok to be gay. What's wrong with being gay? Ok maybe your bodies weren't designed for it but that doesn't mean that gays should be separated.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil said:
She continued, "I went back to the web site and left a very respectful review of the game just stating that this kind of thing should be left out of kids' games, and the Shockwave.com administrator removed my post, stating it was inappropriate. I had no idea how insidious they were being with pushing the homosexual agenda."
*FACEPALM*
*FACEPALM*
*FACEPALM*
*HEADDESK*

Oh my God. I...Wow...

People like this need to shut the hell up. I have news: God doesn't care if you can put two pink pegs in the front seat of a car-shaped game piece. All you're doing is making me, and every other follower of Christ look like jackasses.

This shit is exactly why I'm a non-practicing Catholic.

-edit-
I can't say I blame the above poster. The Church has gotten ridiculous.

Neesa

Jan 29, 2009
So basically, having your own opinion is bad nowadays? I mean seriously now. No one will ever be happy or content with anything unless we brainwash everyone. Calling this mom a "bad parent" because she doesn't want to expose her child to something like that a young age is "her" prerogative. Honestly now. If the woman wants to raise her child as some sheltered kid, that's her problem. Maybe the kid'll hafta learn things on their own. I had to do it and my mom's very religious.

'Til then, some group will always have their panties riding up their asses too much. Not every Christian, myself including is some gay-bashing homophobe. Hell, I can give two shits about what you do in your personal life. But of course, people won't think that way. They feel the need to constantly jam their beliefs down someone's throat. When in actuality, Christians aren't suppose to do that. But at the same token, other religious and non-religious groups shouldn't go around preaching as well. What's the point of having one's own opinion if it's gonna be batted away?

Oh yah, because we as humans are born as self-centered, self-righteous assholes. Yeah that's right, I said it.

Edit: I agree, people like her do give everyone else that follows the Christian belief a horrible name. Ugh.

snake_charm

Mar 14, 2009
Gamine said:
Cant a woman have an opinion again?

why all the bashing. .

This homosexual thing is getting too much attention sef
I finally joined because of this post, 'cause the feminism hint to that question really made me twitch. (sorry if it was not meant to be that way, it's just what I heard it as)
Anyway, as far as I can see, this has nothing to do with 'a woman not having an opinion.' Seriously, this isn't feminist-bashing, not even close.

They, including me, are just pissed off, because this woman said that an innocent computerized board game was 'pushing the gay agenda' when it's simply just a board game.
It's just a completely ridiculous statement. Others have already explained the homophobe part, so I'm not going to repeat anything.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
well the mom sounds like a shitty parent to keep her child so hidden from the real world I mean shes a christian which means being gay or lesbian is against her religion I get that but thats not how it works just because u don't like something doesn't mean it's wrong or evil and keeping ur child hidden from the fact that people of the same gender can get married is really...um how do I say this ... fucked up if u ask me because it's the parents job to lay down the facts and the childs job to pick there life style as they grow up I mean if the mom can't except the fact that people of the same gender can get married then she obviously couldn't possibly comprehend that not everyone is the same, God doesn't HAVE TO exist, note the word have to I'm not saying God isn't real, and theres a good chance that her view on people and the world is wrong and she should be punished for it, but who knows mabye I'm wrong maybe shes right none will ever truly know for sure until the time comes and the truth is reviled for what it really is...

Talendra

Hail, Ilpalazzo!
Jan 26, 2009
The Nihil said:
Godammit, I hope her daughter turns out to be gay.
I seriously hope she does not. It would be horrible for her daughter, as I highly doubt that her mother would support her decision, and it would cause nothing but heartache for her.
Also lets not confuse bigotry with religion, I know many religious people that are very supportive of my relationship with my partner, and have known many non religious people that certainly were not.
The best way of handling this would have just been to tell her, some girls love other girls and some men love other men, just like I love daddy. She could of shrugged it off as just being part of the game and telling her to keep playing but really that will not help or satisfy her daughter. Kids ask questions because they want to know, and they are alot more intelligent than most adults give them credit for. Also giving her this information is not going to turn her gay, it will however give her understanding and tolerance, and teach her not to fear homosexuals like her mother obviously does.

Kwatsu

Feb 21, 2007
'She continued, "I went back to the web site and left a very respectful review of the game just stating that this kind of thing should be left out of kids' games, and the Shockwave.com administrator removed my post, stating it was inappropriate. I had no idea how insidious they were being with pushing the homosexual agenda." '

That last sentence is really the bit that blows this out of all proportion. Having an option for a gay marriage in a board game is not pushing any sort of 'agenda'. Does she think there's a secret society behind it or something? And how is it insidious? The makers weren't trying to hide it and it's been in the game since the sixties. Makes you wonder what this 'respectful review' of hers was actually like.

I feel sorry for her daughter if this is how her mother's going to handle difficult questions as she grows up -- "no, sweetie, that's just part of a conspiracy. Ignore it."

Spectre39

Oct 6, 2008
I hate the go against the grain here, but I can see a tiny shred of credibility in her predicament.

Namely, I don't think the six year old knew about sex yet. To explain why a woman can marry a woman, you have to explain that they cannot reproduce. To explain why that is bad, you have to get into the details of what heterosexuality is down to the dirty details.

While it is up to the discretion of the parent to determine what is the appropriate age to discuss what sex is, I personally don't think a six year old should know about that kind of stuff yet.

Though, I don't see why this merits the game of Life being turned into a conservative controversy. It's not like the game is encouraging players to be gay (i.e. giving bonuses or abilities only to gay couples) it merely just gives players the option to. I think the mother kind of aggravated the situation when her daughter had questions. She could have took the low road while maintaining her position and said "What? I don't know why you are able to marry other women. It's probably just a mistake, you should only marry men." No, she just had to interject her opinion when she was presented with conflicting viewpoints. It's very common trait for christian people to get preachy and soapbox a lecture whenever issues of sin and immorality present themselves. As long as any form of media or physical existence of anything that is not wholesome, biblical, or can be interpreted (however far fetched) as non-biblical, Christians will oppose it with extreme gusto. Do you remember the Christian witch hunts after Pokemon, Harry Potter, The Da Vinci Code, and most forms of secular music? It's a fact of life that this religion is notorious for picking fights with anyone or anything that doesn't fit into their idea of a godly lifestyle. They do this because in their world, when they see non-christian anything they see it as a personal attack on their beliefs and the well being of their children.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious here, but I felt it needed to be said.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Sigh. 1% of the Christian population does 99% of the Christian caused idiocy.

I'm a Christian, and this isn't actually worth caring about! The developers did it to shut up the whiny section of the gay crowd. And that's fine. You can't please everyone.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
Srsly said:
So basically, having your own opinion is bad nowadays? I mean seriously now. No one will ever be happy or content with anything unless we brainwash everyone. Calling this mom a "bad parent" because she doesn't want to expose her child to something like that a young age is "her" prerogative. Honestly now. If the woman wants to raise her child as some sheltered kid, that's her problem. Maybe the kid'll hafta learn things on their own. I had to do it and my mom's very religious.

'Til then, some group will always have their panties riding up their asses too much. Not every Christian, myself including is some gay-bashing homophobe. Hell, I can give two shits about what you do in your personal life. But of course, people won't think that way. They feel the need to constantly jam their beliefs down someone's throat. When in actuality, Christians aren't suppose to do that. But at the same token, other religious and non-religious groups shouldn't go around preaching as well. What's the point of having one's own opinion if it's gonna be batted away?

Oh yah, because we as humans are born as self-centered, self-righteous assholes. Yeah that's right, I said it.

Edit: I agree, people like her do give everyone else that follows the Christian belief a horrible name. Ugh.
Not all opinions deserve respect. We have every right to call her a bad parent for whatever reason we want. That's not her problem, it's the kid's. If it only effected her I still don't see why we can't judge her. Why should kids have to learn everything on their own?

Just because you're not a gay bashing homophobe doesn't mean we can't hate them. See, the thing about opinions, we have to be against the insane ones and bat them away.
Namely, I don't think the six year old knew about sex yet. To explain why a woman can marry a woman, you have to explain that they cannot reproduce. To explain why that is bad, you have to get into the details of what heterosexuality is down to the dirty details.
.....Only if you're an ass who thinks they shouldn't be allowed to get married. If you think they should be allowed to get married you could say "the same reason straight people can".

Or maybe you meant "why a woman can't marry a woman" but I'll argue against that if you explain that typo.

Captain Blackout

Feb 17, 2009
Spectre39 said:
While it is up to the discretion of the parent to determine what is the appropriate age to discuss what sex is, I personally don't think a six year old should know about that kind of stuff yet.
*snip*
As long as any form of media or physical existence of anything that is not wholesome, biblical, or can be interpreted as non-biblical, Christians will oppose it with extreme gusto. Do you remember the Christian witch hunts after Pokemon, Harry Potter, The Da Vinci Code, and most forms of secular music? It's a fact of life that this religion is notorious for picking fights with anyone or anything that doesn't fit into their idea of a godly lifestyle. They do this because in their world, when they see non-christian anything they see it as a personal attack on their beliefs and the well being of their children.
I've traveled the breadth of Christian experience. Far too many Christians focus on some form of biblical literalism rather than the main focus of Christianity, compassion. Tolerance is simply a 'waypoint' along the way to true compassion. Want to have fun? Ask a fundamentalist Christian why God asked for genocide and infanticide.
The reason it's called an "agenda" is because it presents a gay/lesbian lifestyle as normal. Christians who see such a lifestyle as sinful do not want such material presented to their children. They want homosexuality to be a crime as much as possible. The "gay agenda" is working to make gays/lesbians on equal footing with everyone else. Until more Christians learn to be critical of their own beliefs with compassion as their guide this problem with continue. Furthermore if gays/lesbians are on equal footing (as they are in our household) explaining the nature of relationships to six-year old without going into the complete biology of sex is not a problem.
The web administrator who deleted her comments acted with complete appropriateness. Arguing morals with a fundamentalist Christian is a long ugly road to nowhere.
Want this all to change? The best idea I've ever come up with is this: Join a conservative church and work from within to change the character of the church. Otherwise it will be centuries before Christianity works things out for themselves as a whole. For every compassionate Christian who understands conservative churches are converting three more who won't. Evangelical churches in Africa are growing rapidly, for example.

Feb 13, 2008
Spectre39 said:
Why isn't this covered when a woman marries a man then? I think little miss six year old has ALREADY been taught about the birds and the bees as long as the birds lay eggs and the bees are drones, if you catch my drift.