Cigarettes and you.

SmilingKitsune

Dec 16, 2008
I smoke occasionally, I'm never going to be a person who has to have a cigarette, and I never smoke many, I just really enjoy the taste and effect they have on me, I love the ritual of lighting a cigarette and playing with the smoke, breathing in deeply and just letting my body relax.

Bluebacon

May 13, 2009
I don't think I've ever been pestered by a random person for smoking, so I must be lucky in that regard. Having said that, my girlfriend hates it, so I don't smoke when I see her, but most people dont seem to mind. I'm really loving the smoking ban, clubs dont smell of smoke, they just smell of old drinks and old sweat, but I think that's an improvement. I wouldnt smoke at home because stale smoke is foul. My house would smell like my grandparents, and that's just wrong.

As for brand, I usally roll Golden Virginia because I reckon that rollies taste better, but if I'm going to smoke a normal cig it'll be Silk Cut or Lucky Strike.

-Orgasmatron-

Nov 3, 2008
Roamin11 said:
I use to smoke, but when I was in the hospital, I didn't and when I came out I decided "Hey you went a week how bout you go without for another rest of your life"

AND regreted it ever since but haven't turned back
LOL how come you regret it?

As for me, I feel like punching people who come up to me in the street and tell me "smoking is bad mmmkay".

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
It's not about the fact that it's going to shorten your life. Who cares about that? For me, it's about the way that you're going to die if you smoke that is the problem. And I think some smokers don't think that through. They'll say "So what? I don't mind taking five years off my life if I can enjoy cigarettes." But non-smokers aren't trying to warn them about shortening their lives, it's about dying in absolute agony. (it's not guaranteed but your chances increase greatly).

So while I don't tell people it's bad for them (although technically I just did), I do understand those who try to warn people. (although some non-smokers are absolute arseholes who are only worried about themselves).

AdamAK

Jun 6, 2008
I don't warn smokers about the dangers of smoking, because I don't really see the point; they have made their choice, so they should just deal with it. However, what really, really bothers me is second-hand smoking. I can't stand the smell of smoke, as it makes me feel sick. Furthermore, I don't see why I should suffer from other people's habits. Telling me to 'stay away if I don't like smoke' is utter crap. I'm not going to take a detour when walking somewhere, only because I prefer not to have a higher chance to get lung cancer.

In all honesty, I would love to see the day when smoking is only allowed in private spaces ( or spaces designated for the sole purpose of smoking ), where non-smokers are not exposed to smoke at all. Saying that it's okay as long as you're outside, doesn't work. I can still smell the stench of cigarettes from 10+ meters away, and the smoke really doesn't magically disappear instantly when you're outside.

Chicken Warrior

Mar 18, 2009
SmilingKitsune said:
I smoke occasionally, I'm never going to be a person who has to have a cigarette, and I never smoke many, I just really enjoy the taste and effect they have on me, I love the ritual of lighting a cigarette and playing with the smoke, breathing in deeply and just letting my body relax.
I completely agree and if some one strangers bugs me about smoke i just say, have you ever smoked if not you dont know, so i don't really care.

Crumblebumble

May 14, 2009
Oh my god, it irritates me no end! If I was being inconsiderate and blowing it into someone's face or smoking in a bus stop or something, fair enough, but I don't and I never would! The worst one I had recently was when I was just walking down a street with my friend and we had both lit up our last cigarettes that we had been looking forward to because we're trying to cut down and stop when some old git rides past on a bike and says, "Young ladies shouldn't smoke," not even giving us a chance to retaliate! Ruined the cig completely.

VitalSigns

May 20, 2009
AdamAK said:
I don't warn smokers about the dangers of smoking, because I don't really see the point; they have made their choice, so they should just deal with it. However, what really, really bothers me is second-hand smoking. I can't stand the smell of smoke, as it makes me feel sick. Furthermore, I don't see why I should suffer from other people's habits. Telling me to 'stay away if I don't like smoke' is utter crap. I'm not going to take a detour when walking somewhere, only because I prefer not to have a higher chance to get lung cancer.

In all honesty, I would love to see the day when smoking is only allowed in private spaces ( or spaces designated for the sole purpose of smoking ), where non-smokers are not exposed to smoke at all. Saying that it's okay as long as you're outside, doesn't work. I can still smell the stench of cigarettes from 10+ meters away, and the smoke really doesn't magically disappear instantly when you're outside.
The chances of getting a second hand smoke disease from walking by a person smoking are pretty much impossible. as for smelling it, some people dont shower, some brown people tend to smell like curry, some people wear to much perfume. not enjoying a sent is hardly a reason to banish anything to private sectors only.

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
It's a real pain not being able to smoke in bars anymore here in MA. I mean, good for the non-smokers, but what about us? We get to congregate in the cold or rain like a bunch of miserable lemmings!

This could all be solved by having bars that allow smoking, and non-smokers could just have all their bars to themselves. But, we can't even have that option... It's bullshit, frankly. I'm telling you, too, that bar would make an assload of money! It's just not right.

Orange Monkey

Mar 16, 2009
Personally, i think smoking is disgusting, but i dont go around saying, ''stop its bad for you'', obviously they know the health risks, i'll only intervene when i think its getting out of control or its a loved one.

konkwastaken

Jan 16, 2009
i don't bother telling people that its hazardous because thats a decision they have made and to be honest i have no beef with that.

What i don't like is when someone lights up in a car or similarly confined space, i was driving to school with a couple of mates both smoking, i mean shit, the windows were up cos it was a cold morning, it was getting ridiculous, thats where i draw the line.

Tales of Golden Sun

Dec 18, 2008
It's your own choice to smoke.
I may think 'How awful for him', but I'll never bother you with it.

As for me, I'll never smoke.
My father died of lung cancer when I was eight years old.
And if that isn't enough reason for me to never smoke, then what is?

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
I used to smoke, usually around 20 a day and then I decided that I'd pretty much had enough of the taste of regular smoke, so I started on Menthol.
Then from there I went cold turkey and gave up, took me a while to do it but I did stop.

My friends still smoke and whilst I tell them that I feel better for not smoking, I don't demand that they don't around me.
Infact, I'm moving into my friends house and he smokes, so I still breathe it in.
If i want to avoid it, then I'll move out of the area or go outside.

It's been a few months since I stopped and over the past couple of days I've been having the odd one or two, I need to cut that out before I end up undoing my hard work to stop.

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
All smokers are people who fell to peer pressure or the stupid idea that smoking looks cool when they were teenagers and now they are addicted, but pretend they enjoy it still.

Its not like its even a good drug, slight stress relief from stress caused from lack of nicotine. Might as well do proper drugs.

I have no tolerance for them whatsoever.

PersianLlama

Aug 31, 2008
VitalSigns said:
(sorry to run another discussion so quickly, but this popped into my head)
I have to say that I definitely understand the hazards of smoking cigarettes I know what im doing to my lungs but its really annoying to be smoking a cigarette and have people (from friends to strangers) come up to you and say "oh you smoke, that's bad for you" Oh Really? I thought the warnings were for fun. before you Post don't pretend people say these things cause they care we all know thats Bullshit. Any smokers on Escapist feeling me here? Non smokers, do you do this? Would you consider stopping please?
I only say it to my mom because I don't want her to hurt her own health. I don't give a shit about anybody else.