Cliff Bleszinski Labels Notch a "Pouty Kid" - Updated

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
It's tough to decide how I feel about this. Cliffy is totally being a hypocrite, acting every bit as "bratty" as he's accusing Notch of being... but that really doesn't change the fact that he's right.

P.S. Thanks

Jun 11, 2008
Cliff B participating in a catty Handbags at dawn that's nothing new. i'm surprised he didn't bring up that this would prevent piracy and result in an increase in blow jobs per Occulus Rift bought. That said yes it would have been acquired eventually but it is also fine for someone to drop support for it.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
Oh look. Its CliffyB trying to be relevant. Again.

Can he please just put himself out of our misery. Go find a rock to live under or something. I don't even necessarily agree with Notch's decision but at least he has a reason to still have some sort of relevance.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
MinionJoe said:
Cliff Bleszinski is popping up from behind his chest-high wall again?

Doesn't he know that the internet will shoot him in the face when that happens?
Well said, boyo. Very well said.

OT: Can we...just start get a bunch of Minecraft people to seal this guy inside his house so we don't have to hear him talk again? I'd just as soon not have the headaches that follow.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I like Notch. I think he's probably a pretty cool guy. But I tend to agree that his indignant attitude towards the acquisition was a little premature.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Is it bad I kinda agree with Cliff here? I mean, seriously? That's childish. I wouldn't go as far as calling it pouty, just acting like a child.

Canceling a game just because Facebook acquired the Oculus? No offense, but if Facebook didn't touch oculus, would you think it would sell the more units it's just by itself? It helps them get more word out and get more people interested.

Christ, reading some of these comments made me want to punch my laptop screen.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
TiberiusEsuriens said:
I understand Notch's point of view, but crazy enough I totally agree with Cliffy B here.

Oculus might no longer be as 'indie' or hip but regardless of the acquisition, it's still the exact same product with the exact same user base. Pulling Minecraft doesn't hurt Mojang and it doesn't hurt Oculus: it hurts all the people that were looking forward to playing the game. It's like flipping all of your friends the bird because one of them decided to hang out with that kid.
Pretty much. Here's a quick test to see who is being the bigger asshole in this situation.

Facebook (my interpretation): "We don't intend to interfere with the Oculus Rift's development, and have a lot of ideas for additional uses for this device"

Notch (again, interpreted): "I don't like Facebook, so I'm going back on what I said I was going to do, and I'm not going to add functionality to my game that many of my customers were looking forward to."

Now, to me, it seems that we have one company pouring money into a project with the declared intent to keep it true to its original form, and a developer going back on his declared plans on a personal whim. Maybe Facebook will ruin the Rift, but I have no evidence of that, and as I've said elsewhere, the hardware is all I care about in this case. But what I've gotten out of this incident above all else? Don't trust anything Notch says. He's fickle, and can and will turn his back on the people that made him rich if it suits his whim.

llamastorm.games

Apr 10, 2008
I completely agree
The only person Notch is hurting here is his customers, all the people who wanted to play Minecraft on the Rift.
I fully understand his personal misgivings and he is perfectly entitled to them but he also runs a company which makes and produces an exceptionally popular game played by millions, their opinion should be all that matters really in such a situation. I mean if after the acquisition Facebook/OR announced their plan to take over the world by harvesting all the worlds children in some horrible cauldron of death then I'd understand.
How many more times does Notch have to do something before everyone realises he's an immense douchebag...

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
haha, bad move doucheknuckle. i can't wait to see the backlash for this. notch is a beloved figure, you're a dude-bro douchebag. i had already written you off when you said you would only make games for the pc from now on, writing off consoles altogether. honestly, every time i see his stupid face, i wanna punch it.

it's not just me right? he has a seriously punchable face...

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
I don't have strong opinions one way or another on the OR/Facebook/Notch thing. I just find it painfully ironic to see CliffyB calling others out for being bratty and whiny.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
*Calls Notch childish, then proceeds to call him names*

I couldn't care less to listen to what Cliffy B has to say anymore, I really couldn't. Or Notch for that matter.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Every time Cliff Bleszinski gets up on his soap box, I wonder a little more why he has that podium in the first place. His accomplishments aren't so grand, nor his insights particularly deep or well-considered; typically they seem to be ninety percent attitude, and that attitude is equal parts petulance and arrogance.

Yes, the people who got in "on the ground floor" weren't buying stock in the company; that doesn't take away the fact that they were there to help build the foundations that made its existence possible long before anyone was talking about things like IPOs, nor does it make their feelings about that thing they believed in and helped nurture meaningless. I don't know what Facebook's acquisition will mean to the future of the company or its technology, whether it will limit its use or broaden it, see the goggles in their final form in more or fewer people's homes. At this point, anyone stating an absolute about that future is indulging in speculation.

But I wouldn't dream in suggesting for one moment that Notch doesn't have every right to express his disappointment in the company's direction in the strongest way available to him.

theshadavid

Nerrrrrrrd
Aug 10, 2009
I hate agreeing with CliffyB, because he's obnoxious, and calling out Notch is as lame as Notch's actions. However, he's right. Kickstarter isn't an investment firm, all the donors received their "rewards," and I OR will probably benefit from this move.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
"Your device is only as good as the store and community around it; if users can't say shut up and take my money, if developers can't post their work then the device will ultimately flounder," Bleszinski wrote on his blog. "Facebook can assist with this sort of thing, as well as having a multi billion user reach. That's pretty damned important."
This statement is utter garbage. There is nothing Facebook can offer as far as getting developers on board that wasn't already happening. Unless people think shitty Facebook games qualifies. The first adopter type consumers who were most excited about this are also exactly the type to be wary of Facebook being involved in anything, and I would be willing to bet are less likely than they've ever been to put down their hard earned cash for the Oculus Rift now. And that multi billion user reach is worthless since the majority of those people aren't going to give a shit about VR for vidya games, and this tech has literally no useful application in modern social networking.

So what does Facebook really bring to the table? Money and not much else. But I don't think that that's even remotely the most important factor in getting the Rift off the ground now. The tech is largely there and working, and attracting investors wasn't likely an issue for them. So what does Facebook offer aside from the best case scenario or having no impact on it, and the worst case scenario of so damaging it's reputation that it's DOA?

Also, let's be honest here, with the amount of times Cliffy B opens his mouth to say something stupid, the man shouldn't have news articles written about him saying something stupid. Notch cancelling Minecraft for Rift isn't being pouty. It's being genuinely concerned about a company he doesn't trust buying out a device he was interested in, and choosing to cancel his investment in developing for it until the fallout is a bit more clear.

That is a perfectly reasonable reaction, particularly when Notch and Mojang are richer than god and don't need to port it to continue being successful and doing their thing. As usual, Cliff is just being a loud mouthed ass and needs to be taught the lesson that almost nothing he says is of any value.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
Is Cliffy being hypocritical? Yeah. Does that change anything that he said? No. Look, I'm pretty neutral when it comes to these two figures, and while I wouldn't necessarily have called Notch pouty, cancelling development for a device just because it was picked up by Facebook is pretty childish. His wanting to develop a game for a product should be because the technology itself is intriguing and worth testing out, not whether it's status can count as indie or not. It tells me that he never really had faith in the device because the device itself was unique and interesting, but just because it was a new venture on Kickstarter that hadn't yet gotten a major investor.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Kajin said:
Really Cliff? Really? You're calling Notch petty? And you're... not, somehow? Remember that epic little fit you had when Microsoft did a 180 on the always online requirements? Was that not petty?

God, Cliff is such an insufferable douche bag. Every time he speaks I end up hating him more and more.
Agreed. I had no feelings one way or another toward "Cliffy B" for a long while. Then he goes and retires from development and becomes a loyal knight on social media for whatever thing he personally likes and every time he opens his mouth I think, "Why should I, or anyone else, give a toss about anything you have to say?!"

Just shut up Cliff. It's Notch's game; he can do what he wants with it. He's not the brat because he doesn't want any business dealings with Facebook; you're the brat for judging him because he doesn't want to do what YOU think he should do. He's not the kid who "takes his ball and goes home;" you're the kid who goes and talks trash about him around the school because he, exercising his rightful choice in the matter, didn't want to play the ball game the way that YOU thought it should be played.

Add to this, everything that Notch has ever said has registered to me as, "Huh, well doesn't he sound like a cool, all-around nice guy."

My opinions on both of these guys have further gravitated toward their respective directions.

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
Ronack said:
Problem: Cliffy B isn't a smart man of the industry. He's a pretty face who needs to spew company PR like a good little boy, because he's about as good a man to listen to as Michael Pachter.
What company is he spewing PR for.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
llamastorm.games said:
I completely agree
The only person Notch is hurting here is his customers, all the people who wanted to play Minecraft on the Rift.
I fully understand his personal misgivings and he is perfectly entitled to them but he also runs a company which makes and produces an exceptionally popular game played by millions, their opinion should be all that matters really in such a situation. I mean if after the acquisition Facebook/OR announced their plan to take over the world by harvesting all the worlds children in som
How many more times does Notch have to do something before everyone realises he's an immense douchebag...
Or those potential customers could just download the mod, which Notch thoughtfully pointed out on twitter.

If you're not aware, there's a mod that does it: https://t.co/qD9bCeyaeD [https://t.co/qD9bCeyaeD]

? Markus Persson (@notch) March 25, 2014 [https://twitter.com/notch/statuses/448588409385541632]

Just because Notch is cancelling official support (which he is entitled to do, being the creator and owner of Minecraft) doesn't leave all those potential customers in the lurch.

It just means he won't be making any money off any future Oculus/Minecraft combo.

EDIT: Stupid twitter embedding.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
You know, Bleszinski's opinion might've held a bit more weight with neutrals if he wasn't about to make money hand over fist from Facebook's acquisition of Oculus (which admittedly, he...admitted to). Calling Notch a "pouty kid" also has a tint of irony to it, considering how parts of that post read.

Thing is, I don't necessarily disagree with him either, I'd say Notch was reactionary at best when he pulled Minecraft almost immediately. At least maybe sit down with people, talk it over with them first.

Back to Bleszinski however, "Cliffy" has had a special talent for sounding like an asshole recently (particularly when he decides to be being contrary for contrary's sake), and it's both sad and disappointing to see.

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
I care not, one way or the other... I don't care at all about Cliff B, and Notch can do what he wants with his money, it is, after all, his...