Cliff Bleszinski Labels Notch a "Pouty Kid" - Updated

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Other people who may be "pouty kids" according to CliffyB:
1. Mahatma Gandhi - he should just have accepted that the British Empire ultimately gave India access to the resources it needed.
2. Winston Churchill - he should just have accept that the Greater German Reich gave Poland access to the resources it needed.
3. Martin Luther King - he should just have accepted that racism gave Black People access to the resources they needed.
4. Holocaust Survivors - they should just accept that being genocided gives them access to the resources they needed.
5. Literally everyone who's done something CliffyB wouldn't - they should just accept that believing in the same stuff as CliffyB gives them access to the resources they need.

Not that I think that Zuckerberg has pulled a Hitler here. Just saying that name calling in this situation is completely uncalled for.

Also, totally the sort of thing a pouty kid does. Just throwing that out there.

(sidenote - for fun, see what "Zuckerberg" wants to correct to in Firefox's UK dictionary ^^ I feel as though that's a coincidence, but I want to believe it isn't.)

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
SonOfVoorhees said:
Why should anyone have to make a game for Oculus? So what if Minecraft is cancelled, its the developers right to do that with his property and im sure he has his reasons. He probably didnt mind doing so as it was an indie/gamer invested machine and he wanted to help them. Now its been bought by FB he feels he doesn't want to support it now they have all that backing. Cliffy B needs to get over himself, sorry but the GoW series are not classic titles and he is no Bioware or P Moleneux.
If he wouldn't have minded it, he would have already made that port a year ago instead of still dragging his feet about

He was one of the first developers to receive a Rift devkit, Oculus has practically showered him with attention, yet even his game's modders working for free were more supportive of the Rift than himself.

Now suddenly he expects everyone to believe that his official port was right around the corner after all, and he just made some huge principled stand by "cancelling" it. (that is, not bothering to add it after all).

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
rasputin0009 said:
I kinda agree with Cliffy. Rather than considering the options or waiting to see what Facebook was about to do with it, Notch pulled the plug on the Minecraft adaptation. It does seem pretty childish. If the Oculus somehow becomes a success with gamers, then Notch will be kicking his own ass. Being all extreme about things isn't the best way to do business.
How and why would Notch be kicking himself? He doesn't like Facebook. He doesn't like how Facebook operates. Generally speaking, he just doesn't care to do business with them. And his financial standing is more than good enough to allow him to pick and choose what sort of entities he does business with on moral or personal grounds.

So why should Notch be kicking himself if OR is a success under Facebook's guidance? He saw something he didn't like and backed out of it. Why is this such a big deal?

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
May be hypocritical and annoying at times but I have to agree with Cliffy B. I don't like the idea of Facebook owning OR but at least wait a bit and see exactly what is going to happen. The way he reacted and pulling Minecraft just because he doesn't like Facebook is petty and bratty. Notch isn't my favorite person but definitely lost even more respect points.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Spushkin said:
I didn't know Notch was generally disliked by the gaming community. Can someone tell me why?
I'm scratching my head at this as well. Basically the tone of many of these posts are "picking the lesser of two evils." What exactly did Notch do to earn the ire of so many people? Seemed he could do no wrong back when Minecraft was first taking off. Then again, I kind of stopped paying attention to Notch/Mojang related news for a few years now. I'm not saying Notch was saint material (very few people are), I'm just curious about this seemingly drastic shift in opinion.

As for Cliffy B., he had already made his point with his initial statement. Badmouthing Notch was uncalled for and will only result in unnecessary animosity all around.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Brian Tams said:
Its always nice when the pot calls the kettle black.
Seriously. This sentiment could come from almost anybody else, but from CliffyB it's just hilarious.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Kajin said:
rasputin0009 said:
I kinda agree with Cliffy. Rather than considering the options or waiting to see what Facebook was about to do with it, Notch pulled the plug on the Minecraft adaptation. It does seem pretty childish. If the Oculus somehow becomes a success with gamers, then Notch will be kicking his own ass. Being all extreme about things isn't the best way to do business.
How and why would Notch be kicking himself? He doesn't like Facebook. He doesn't like how Facebook operates. Generally speaking, he just doesn't care to do business with them. And his financial standing is more than good enough to allow him to pick and choose what sort of entities he does business with on moral or personal grounds.

So why should Notch be kicking himself if OR is a success under Facebook's guidance? He saw something he didn't like and backed out of it. Why is this such a big deal?
He'd kick himself because he'd be missing out on a large user base. Minecraft is almost on every platform under the sun so I'm assuming Notch wants as many people to play Minecraft in as many ways possible. It's not like Sony, Microsoft, Google, and Apple have the prettiest histories, either. And if the Oculus Rift becomes a major success under Facebook, it'd be ridiculous not to port the game to it. If Notch was well informed about the situation, it makes sense to act on moral or personal grounds, but he wasn't. Simply not enough time has passed since the deal was announced, and I'm betting neither Oculus or Facebook know for sure what to do with it yet.

Kajin

Apr 13, 2008
DugMachine said:
May be hypocritical and annoying at times but I have to agree with Cliffy B. I don't like the idea of Facebook owning OR but at least wait a bit and see exactly what is going to happen. The way he reacted and pulling Minecraft just because he doesn't like Facebook is petty and bratty. Notch isn't my favorite person but definitely lost even more respect points.
I don't get why people see this as a problem. If you don't like someone and dealing with them isn't the least bit necessary, then why would you deal with them? Notch doesn't like Facebook. He doesn't enjoy the notion of having to do business dealings with Facebook. And he has no obligation to deal with Facebook at all.

It's not childish to refuse to do business with an individual or corporate entity that you personally find unsavory.

cjbos81

Apr 8, 2009
"Notch, your cancelling Minecraft makes you look like a pouty kid who is taking his ball and going home," he wrote. "It's a bratty and petty move and it saddens me greatly."

What are they married or something?

Kajin

Apr 13, 2008
rasputin0009 said:
Kajin said:
rasputin0009 said:

He'd kick himself because he'd be missing out on a large user base. Minecraft is almost on every platform under the sun so I'm assuming Notch wants as many people to play Minecraft in as many ways possible. It's not like Sony, Microsoft, Google, and Apple have the prettiest histories, either. And if the Oculus Rift becomes a major success under Facebook, it'd be ridiculous not to port the game to it. If Notch was well informed about the situation, it makes sense to act on moral or personal grounds, but he wasn't. Simply not enough time has passed since the deal was announced, and I'm betting neither Oculus or Facebook know for sure what to do with it yet.
Not everyone is motivated purely by profit margins. Notch wants Minecraft to be on as many platforms as possible but if he decides that one platform or another isn't fit to have his game on it then that is his choice. He owns Minecraft. He owns Mojang. It's his say on what happens with his game and he has every right to refuse signing his name on to something he doesn't agree with. If he doesn't agree with Facebook's acquisition of OR, then that's his opinion and he is well within his right to express that opinion by not doing business with them.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Kajin said:
DugMachine said:
I don't get why people see this as a problem. If you don't like someone and dealing with them isn't the least bit necessary, then why would you deal with them? Notch doesn't like Facebook. He doesn't enjoy the notion of having to do business dealings with Facebook. And he has no obligation to deal with Facebook at all.

It's not childish to refuse to do business with an individual or corporate entity that you personally find unsavory.
I would be more understanding if after more details on the future of OR were released but as it stands things seem to be running like normal but now with big daddy Facebook backing them up with their huge wallet. Why hurt your consumers who desperately wanted Minecraft on OR because you have personal beef with them? I don't know, maybe Notch knows stuff we don't about the whole deal. He certainly has every right to cancel the deal don't get me wrong. It just seems a bit premature to me is all.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Besides the irony of CliffyB resorting to name calling mere moments after accusing Notch of being childish, there's the irony (or hypocrisy, if you will) that Cliffy has routinely acted in or spoken in the same manner as Notch is now, throughout his game-design career.

This is nothing more than a man attempting to sling mud and not get his hands dirty.

My advice? Just continue to ignore him; even if you think he has a point.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Am I the only person who doesn't think its petty or bratty for Notch choosing not to do business with a company that he doesn't want to? I mean its almost like he is the founder of Mojang and created Minecraft or something and was well within his rights to choose who he does business with.

Also Cliffy should just go away now, just because he created UT doesn't make him overlord of gaming.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Ah Cliffy, the washed-up burnout who struggles to remain relevant and thus jumps on every news story he can in order to offer insight that isn't insight at all.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Kajin said:
Not everyone is motivated purely by profit margins. Notch wants Minecraft to be on as many platforms as possible but if he decides that one platform or another isn't fit to have his game on it then that is his choice. He owns Minecraft. He owns Mojang. It's his say on what happens with his game and he has every right to refuse signing his name on to something he doesn't agree with. If he doesn't agree with Facebook's acquisition of OR, then that's his opinion and he is well within his right to express that opinion by not doing business with them.
Ya, of course it's his choice. Not sure why you're arguing that. Although, I am sure that anybody can criticize Notch's choices. Again, he acted way too quickly to know what was actually going to happen with the Oculus Rift. Similar to what Cliffy stated, "a pouty kid" would do. He might have even disappointed internal team members at Mojang with his decision.

Kajin

Apr 13, 2008
DugMachine said:
-snip-
I would be more understanding if after more details on the future of OR were released but as it stands things seem to be running like normal but now with big daddy Facebook backing them up with their huge wallet. Why hurt your consumers who desperately wanted Minecraft on OR because you have personal beef with them? I don't know, maybe Notch knows stuff we don't about the whole deal. He certainly has every right to cancel the deal don't get me wrong. It just seems a bit premature to me is all.
I don't think it's premature at all. This isn't about whether or not Occulus Rift is going to be a success. It's already proven itself to be a pretty big one. This is about not wanting to have dealings with someone or something you don't like. Notch doesn't want to deal with Facebook. He doesn't like Facebook or any of its corporate policies, and he's backing out of having Minecraft on Occulus Rift because he doesn't approve of Facebook's business practices.

Sure, some people are gonna have to do without playing Minecraft using the Occulus Rift, but that's just how things work in real life. They can just go back to playing Minecraft on every other piece of electronic in existence. Or uninstall it and refuse to put any money into another Mojang product ever again because, like Notch, they too can put their business where their mouth is and not deal with Notch for making a decision they didn't personally agree with.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Meh, I'm on Notch's side here.

If I donated a big chunk of change to a Better Quality Food initiative and it got bought out by Monsanto, I'd be pissed as well. You're damn right I'd take my ball and go home.