CliffyB Thinks Used Games Are Bad, Sony is "Playing Us"

hornedcow

Jun 4, 2013
Or here's an idea; how about giant corporations stop making terrible business decisions, and then trying to force everyone to change their behaviour so that those dumb decisions make them even more money. I mean you do realise Cliffy that it's exactly this kind of attitude that's resulted the current economic crisis, big business expecting the citizenship to support them in the destruction of civil liberties and economic freedom. Seriously Cliffy, fuck you.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
So let me get this straight. The former head of a company that made big exclusive for Microsoft's consoles is speaking in support of Microsoft?

Colour me surprised.

He is right, though. The used games market won't be able to support the sky-high cost of AAA development.

He is wrong, however, about why that is and what should be done. The cost of AAA development is high due to poor management, shoehorning in more crap so the games have (insert Jim Sterling mockery voice) "broader appeal", and having unnecessarily famous people doing voice acting and motion capture.

The answer is not to get rid of a market that hugely benefits the consumer, it is to cut the cost of AAA development by refining the focus of the games, not shoehorning crap in, better project management, and not having famous people play parts in games. I'm sure there are more.

The fault is not on our end, Cliffy, it's on yours. Get your act together.

Gray Firion

Mar 5, 2012
Sounds like a former head of Epic Games that I once read, speaking on how cartoony games don't work and that only "realism" matters, back in 2010.

This despite the fact that at that time? The absolutely undisputed leader of the consoler market... was the Nintendo DS.

Wait, was it... Ah, no, it was Mike Capps. Sorry, had to check. The guys at Epic have been playing the broken record for so long they all sound the same now.

Captcha: Only way to be sure.

I know right?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Mr. Q said:
Nonetheless, you can't argue with the success of man's games...
You may be right, but then, comic book writer/artist/no talent hack Rob Liefeld was successful during that lovely period of comics called the 90s. Look back, the majority of us regret that we willingly gave this dipshit our money and attention. And I'm pretty sure, as time passes, we'll feel the same way about you Cliffy... ya shit-spewing ****!
It's worth noting that both Cliff and Rob have been involved in their fair share of fails.

Arguing someone's success is valid when they cannot extend themselves, and that's irrespective of whether they're actual artists (which Liefeld is in only the same sense as your average kindergartener).

silversnake4133

Mar 14, 2010
Okay then CB, if Used games are such a problem and gaming companies just HAVE to have the production budget of a movie why don't we just emulate Hollywood even more and open up more social gaming clubs for the peons to gather and call them gaming theaters? Oh wait, that only really works with OFFLINE multiplayer games. If anything developers and publishers could stop trying to be Virtual Hollywood and make games that people would actually want to buy. And consumers, stop being entitled little pricks about everything when it comes to games. If anything, the corporate side and the consumer side of this industry needs to have a sit down to discuss the best course of action for this industry because it's very blatantly obvious that what we have going on does not fricken work!

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Okay, so he says "Budgets are too high for Used games to exist!" ... Why not lower your budgets? Why do you have to screw over people who want to buy used games in order for you to basically bankrupt yourself?! What is wrong with game developers today? No one stops and thinks "Hmmm, you know what? This costs us way too much money and will probably not sell as many copies as we think it needs to... Maybe we could cut the fat off our game?" But why is that? Even movie makers cancel projects that go way past their budget!

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
It's rather obvious Cliffy B took computer classes in college and skipped any and all business classes. If he hadn't someone might have explained to him this thing called market forces. And that consumers will place money where they perceive value for the price. Used game sales, rentals and piracy all exist because the routine pricing for AAA games is quite frankly too high. That's it. That's the entirety of it. The root pricing model has crossed the threshold were a substantial portion of the consumer does not perceive a value for the product at the price being offered. The customer currently takes steps to alleviate this somewhat themselves via trade ins or rentals. Both being mechanisms whereby the customer can effect the relative price of a new game and bring it down to their value threshold. Cutting out those buffers will not put more profit in the hands of developers. It will put more games above the value threshold for which customers are willing to pay. In short it will decrease sales. This is especially true for fun but short or low life expectancy games like Cliffy B tends to make. (Short intense single player campaign, a few weeks. Of multiplayer with friends then on the heap it goes like a rotting fruit.)

The solution is not to eliminate used game sales, rentals, trade ins etc. these are tools that the customer uses to bring the cost of ownership of the product down below their perceived value threshold. The solution is to actually price that new product below that threshold to begin with. $19 - $29 and the issue of used sales or rentals will disappear. As will most piracy (save that done for geographic reasons). Don't believe me? Go ask Apple. Or Steam. They work not because of there DRM digital delivery. They work because it is easier and cheaper to buy new than it is to use other methods. He costs equal the perceived values.

But instead of seeking to fix the actual problem, Cliffy chooses to go full on Don Quixote and charge the customers. Attacking the things that they need to do in order to attempt to feebly bring value to his product. Well done man.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
Mr. Q said:
Nonetheless, you can't argue with the success of man's games...
You may be right, but then, comic book writer/artist/no talent hack Rob Liefeld was successful during that lovely period of comics called the 90s. Look back, the majority of us regret that we willingly gave this dipshit our money and attention. And I'm pretty sure, as time passes, we'll feel the same way about you Cliffy... ya shit-spewing ****!
It's worth noting that both Cliff and Rob have been involved in their fair share of fails.

Arguing someone's success is valid when they cannot extend themselves, and that's irrespective of whether they're actual artists (which Liefeld is in only the same sense as your average kindergartener).
Lets not compare Liefeld with kindergarteners. At least kindergarteners tend to improve in their artwork as oppose to Rob Liefeld, whose creations seem to suffer from massive deformities (I.E. oversized thighs, number of teeth that outnumber the attendance record for a Justin Bieber concert, tiny feet, etc.).

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I'm beginning to wonder if Microsoft is pulling on any developer/publisher that they have any pull on to get them to start speaking out for them.

I do find it remarkable that EA hasn't spoken out by saying that we should all be in love with these changes. But I also think EA has come to the realization that they need better PR. We may actually see a better EA in a few years and if this really slams Microsoft then we could see a better overall market that knows that the customer base is able to get information readily enough to punish negative decisions.

The preorder market has side stepped this in a lot of ways. But maybe things as pricey as consoles can't get around it since we have to know what we're buying before we buy it.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
Microsoft's decision to Twitter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7444-Xbox-One-and-the-Death-of-Ownership]. "The numbers do NOT work people."
Alternatively, don't burn through money like no tomorrow.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Wyvern65 said:
Cliffy B's entire argument is "games are so expensive we have to hurt consumers to pay for them, suck it up."

Amazing how he doesn't even seem to consider that game devs could, I don't know, stop making games that cost more than the market can bear. It's like Michael Bay saying we need to eliminate sales of used DVDs in order to have more explosions in film.

Not interested in being held responsible for your excesses and inability to realistically budget and control costs on your projects.
EXACTLY!

A second-hand market is an inevitable part of a capitalist system UNLESS you crack down on consumer rights and freedoms; and even that won't stop it, it will just suppress it and drive it underground.

So... IF CliffyB is right (notice he cites no evidence or numbers for his claims), then either the industry will adapt itself to the existence of a second-hand market (just like movies, books, etc), or the industry will have to crack down on consumer rights and freedoms which are the absolute greatest and most essential parts of living in a thriving capitalist system.

Alternatively, the industry can crash and publishers can learn the hard way.

If you honestly believe that suppressing consumer rights and freedoms in a capitalist system is a good thing CliffyB, then I have nothing else to say to you.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
No love lost here.
Aside from pointing out that there's no way PS4 games will be DRM free the man has done little else than contribute to the architecture of our shitty industry.

Cursed Frogurt

Aug 17, 2010
The solution is control your bloated budgets. Celebrity cameos and spending millions on superbowl ads don't sell games, quality and value do.

I rent a game to try it out before I buy it because I've been burned too many times on marketing that makes a game look amazing, but the actual game is a waste of my time and money.

Le_Lisra

norwegian cat
Jun 6, 2009
Well then cut your stupid budget? Austerity is much in vogue all over the world.

Stop looking for other people to blame for somehting you have a hand in as well.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
While Cliffy B may very well be correct about Sony "playing us" (and he might, hell Sony already did say that there might be a framework for 3rd Party Devs to implement anti-used game policies) but overall Nintendo has the best thing to say about this matter...

When I LOVE a game I keep it... like... for good, but what happens in several years when you can't acquire a cult classic game anymore because no new copies exist... I have the feeling that this is going to create an INSANE collectors market at some point as only new copies are viable and when you want one of those games a few years down the line... watch out...

Edit:

Hell if you don't believe me go and look up New/Sealed games for the PS1 and PS2... anything that was popular and not produced in insane numbers is usually upwards of $100.

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
The issue is, and always has been, piracy. A recent social experiment[footnote]http://www.greenheartgames.com/2013...lator-and-then-go-bankrupt-because-of-piracy/[/footnote] indicates that it's not a bad estimate to say 90% of people of play an indie game pirated it. I'm sure this figure is less for triple-A games (or I would hope), but still, they're losing money off those pirates. A lot of money.

Wyvern65 said:
Amazing how he doesn't even seem to consider that game devs could, I don't know, stop making games that cost more than the market can bear. It's like Michael Bay saying we need to eliminate sales of used DVDs in order to have more explosions in film.

Not interested in being held responsible for your excesses and inability to realistically budget and control costs on your projects.
A compelling argument, to be sure, but that's regrettably not how the industry works. If one developer started producing lower-budget games, they would in all likelihood be crushed by their competitors. It's a brutal kind of escalation - every big publisher wants to be bigger and better than every other - and stakes only go up, never down.

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
"We don't know how to keep making games with a sustainable system, therefore we're shoving our production costs and issues on you. Deal with it, because it's not our fault we can't run a business."

This is getting a bit into entitled territory, but game publishers are always telling us used games are evil, but they aren't giving people any reason to buy NEW instead of used.

tardcore

Jan 15, 2011
Well I can think of one surefire way of lowering the outrageous production costs of making new games. They need to fire this asshole.