CLOP is QWOP With Unicorns

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
I was doing really well on lame horse mode... until that large vertical drop. Fuck that shit.

mfeff

Nov 8, 2010
This is about as far as I am able to get... beyond this maybe a unicycle technique or something... but I doubt it, the unicorn has too high a CG. Maybe I'll do a speed run youtube vid to this point... take about a min and some change...

Kavonde

Usually Neutral Good
Feb 8, 2010
So I'm sure someone already linked this, but it's kinda funny/strange that the official sequel to QWOP, which involves a unicorn, came out like a week and a half after the fan-made version starring Twilight Sparkle. [http://donitz.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d57l774]

Also, "CLOP." Heh.

Hargrimm

Jan 1, 2010
The physics in this game are retarded, just like they were in QWOP.
It seems the developer of this is ignorant of the concept known as "centre of mass", as well as "mass"

In conclusion: a shit game from a shit developer.

Kavonde said:
So I'm sure someone already linked this, but it's kinda funny/strange that the official sequel to QWOP, which involves a unicorn, came out like a week and a half after the fan-made version starring Twilight Sparkle. [http://donitz.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d57l774]

Also, "CLOP." Heh.
Finished it on my second try. dat ending...

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
saintdane05 said:
As a brony, I think this man does not know what the modern day version of "clop" means...
Or we can go by the normal definition, thanks.

OT: YAY, because I needed to waste more keyboards through my screen.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
WTF is a Broney and why should I care?

Sadly, this is a joke but you all need to just stop talking about this. We all know you watch a TV show for little girls. I watched an episode or two and I have to agree, it's a great show for little girls with strong and intelligent female characters, colourful animation and ponies. If I had a daughter I would force her to watch it.

P.S. Nobody knows your slang and even if we did we wouldn't care.

mfeff

Nov 8, 2010
Hargrimm said:
The physics in this game are retarded, just like they were in QWOP.
It seems the developer of this is ignorant of the concept known as "centre of mass", as well as "mass"

In conclusion: a shit game from a shit developer.

Kavonde said:

Also, "CLOP." Heh.
Finished it on my second try. dat ending...
Eh... I got bored and worked out how the "horse" works... basically it has 4 centers of mass, 2 for the main joints and one for the head. The two main joints are torsion springs which in turn have a low spring tension connecting them at the lower end of the object and another "vessel" (the fluid is the forth mass) that has a fluid mechanic where it's spine would be. The "vessel" constricts and releases when the hips are at different phases of compression. This gives the wonky barycenter as the fluid is generally "shifting around".

Another tension spring is ball joint connected to the head mass...

So your barycenter is in flux because the masses (torsion springs) are either compressing or releasing spring tension, ergo loosing kinetic and gaining potential energy or vice verse... so there is almost always an impulse in the system (with multiple moments of inertia). Coupled with a fluid that is gathering for or aft of the horse system.

The coefficient of friction on the hooves is low for the mass of the horse, but what makes it tough is that as you go up hills the springs compress and the fluid (if you slow up) shifts forward. Because the head is a mass, as you tilt backward the law of conservation of angular momentum kicks in and the rotation rate increases, also the fluid (due to impulse) reflects and heads towards the aft of the horse so there is quite a bit of kinetic energy pushing reward.

The back of the hooves tend to "dig in" against any obstruction during the compression of the bottom tension spring, which makes them a ridged point of rotation.

The only way to get around this is to kick out the front legs which will constrict the top most fluid vessel, and make the horse pretty rigid, can also use this technique to "goat hop" most of the hills. It also uses inertia which will make the horse "system" much more rigid if one can keep the speed up and sort of "flow" with the impulse of the spring compression and releases. That eliminates the biggest game-ender, the fluid sloshing around just above the horse object, dumping all four legs also lowers the CG reducing or negating the head rotation reward and the subsequent spring compression which lower to torque arm and increase the rotational speed.

So at my count there are 4 torsion springs in the knees, 2 torsion springs in the hips, 1 tension spring under the horse, 1 fluid vessel at the top of the horse, and 1 tension spring between the front hips and the head. There may even be as many as 4 tension springs "wrapped around" the legs themselves.

Funny enough I think the "game" is complete-able... I can tell where he built the game in pieces, play tested little parts, then welded it together. I seriously doubt he has ever completed it start to finish. Funny enough I think the last hill just takes the player over the initial shade tree and drops em off onto of a star between the first and second tree...

The second hill is really challenging, making it hard to practice the top couple obstacles right before the peak. (Right before the maiden) Shrug... it's an interesting use of a physics simulation (spring simulator)... not much of a game. I do agree the developer does not seem to have a very solid grasp of physics, but a good grasp of using other peoples engines.

I recall at one point he wanted to make a simulation similar to robotics but it was beating him down and some guy suggested this "work around"... more lazy programming techniques all to common in game development today.. ahh well.

It's not that the game is hard, its not. Sort of the point of these games was a handicapped control scheme... even having the controls down well, the damn thing is a helium filled balloon attached to almost a springs, very float happy, very difficult to get the same play mechanic twice... wouldn't surprise me if some of the springs changed tension between resets.

If I had to say it had a point it is that of designing a game with a tight play gimmick, without a tight play mechanic... it's a job half done, which reminds me a lot of Diablo 3 Inferno mode... another "no one bothered to play test" game.

mfeff

Nov 8, 2010
For giggles made a video playing clop... all gameplay... 2 attempts to match meh best... failure... tips welcome! hahah!

Shortly after I posted my video a rival posted a Mission Complete video... so it's official CLOP has been completed!

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Seems easier than QWOP, if only for the fact that it's easier to balance on 4 legs than on 2.

runarraw

Jun 20, 2012
"Calling it HJKL would be just silly"

*looks at keyboard...*

----op
---kl

...KLOP!

Neferius

Sep 1, 2010
ToastiestZombie said:
Hands up if you came here looking to watch the shitstorm because you thought this was an mlp version of qwop. I sure did. Now, why must god smite me by making this come out whilst I cant get to a computer?! It looks hilarious!
Actually, the MLP version came first
This is probably a shout-out/meta-parody :p

Fair warning though, the mlp version is a wee bit creepypasta >:D

zadagado

Sep 3, 2017
Anyone here recalling the QWOP moments during the last Desert Bus should be laughing hysterically right now.