CNN RapeLay Controversy Sparks Angry Response

Aug 25, 2009
Ha. "Would it be too much to ask that appropriate age restrictions are put in place in stores in your country so that the rational adults can buy legitimate copies?" Nogami said.

Nice one, basically summing up the real problem behind America's entire fixation on the gaming media. Regulate your damn kids you Yankee Doodle Dandies.

Sonofadiddly

Dec 19, 2009
I have previously stumbled upon the knowledge that there are already free internet games where you rape women. These were probably made by Americans. Although I believe such games are sick and would avoid anyone who would create or play such games as though they were dripping with plague, it's not right to deride an entire people for something that a few people made. For this and many other reasons, CNN can kiss my ass.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Japanese society is much more progressive in this issue than western society, and when I say progressive I mean more comforming to John Stuart Mills Harm Principle, which states that "over his own mind and body the individual is sovereign" and that the state should create laws only to prevent people from harming each other.

This is in my opinion the gold standard for jurisdiction in a liberal society, and should be adopted everywhere.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harm_principle

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Fox, CNN...
Damn, the media sucks...

I'm siding with what's-his-name on this one.

Deef

Mar 11, 2009
laryri said:
CNN isn't going to respond to this. First rule of media, if you get torn apart by someone and have no defense, ignore it. Your viewers won't know, they go to you for news.
Sadly, I must agree with you.
The general public isn't going to know anything about this.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Take this down

CNN is the only news source to throw such a hissy fit. Even Fox brushed it off 3 years ago and when they talked about it they had 2 sides discuss the issue instead of 2 PC liberal jackass hosts

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Sonofadiddly said:
Although I believe such games are sick and would avoid anyone who would create or play such games as though they were dripping with plague, it's not right to deride an entire people for something that a few people made.
How would playing a rape game make me a worse person, I have played rapelay out of curiosity and it didn't arouse me, but even if I loved to fantasize about rape (or even worse, raping children), that would still not make me a bad person, a sane person is perfectly capable separating his/her fantasies from ethical thinking and actions in the real world.

the_bearpelt

Dec 26, 2009
Everyone's talking about these crime rates in Japan and stuff, but that's assuming that rape is persecuted in Japan the way it is in the U.S. (With extreme distaste.) AND that most of the rapes and crimes and such are accurately reported.
Now, if Japan's ability to properly prosecute and report incidents to the degree that America does, then yes, they have less crime.
Personally, I've never been to Japan, so I wouldn't know. However, it is something to consider.

While insinuating that the culture of Japan is rife with crime (or some such similar statement) is outside what the news should be saying, I feel that a game like that is disgusting. It's vile, cruel, and appears to condone the rape of women. While I agree that most aspects of life are in shades of grey, I firmly believe that there are a few blacks and whites and rape, to me, will always be wrong. (You can argue that women sometimes falsely accuse men of rape, but then it isn't rape so it's excluded from my statement.) Rape is one of the worst things you could ever do to a person. I can't think of words that describe how horrible it is well enough. Typically, if I were trying to describe something THIS BAD, I would say it's like rape in how awful it is.
So the fact that a game like that even exists offends and disgusts me. Whoever invented this game is a sick person, no matter what the intention.

the_bearpelt

Dec 26, 2009
dochmbi said:
How would playing a rape game make me a worse person, I have played rapelay out of curiosity and it didn't arouse me, but even if I loved to fantasize about rape (or even worse, raping children), that would still not make me a bad person, a sane person is perfectly capable separating his/her fantasies from ethical thinking and actions in the real world.
Fantasizing and roleplaying is one thing because fantasies are with only yourself and your mind and roleplaying is actually consensual anyways.
The problem with making games like RapeLay is that it encourages, condones, and/or justifies rape too much. I feel that sensible people SHOULD be offended by this; it shows that we still look down upon rape. If we become numb to it because of repeated appearances in video games and such, then we'll care less about the incident.

What you say about seperating fantasies from ethical thinking does make sense. However, one must consider the implications of it. What if someone decides to take advantage of that fantasy and make it real? That's where the fear lies.

UnusualStranger

Keep a hat handy
Jan 23, 2010
the_bearpelt said:
A solid point
I hear your point, and raise you a logical response!

Sexuality, and anything to do with it, is a extremely touchy subject here in the West. Hell, showing a titty on TV for no more than a second is considered EXTREMELY HARMFUL AND REQUIRES STRICT REGULATION!!!! Over in Japan especially, this does not carry as much weight.

You are angry that the game allows someone to do something that is despicable...however, I wonder where you were for all the other games that have come out. Ones that allow people to kill. Or allow you to force people out of their homes. Or games that magically pay you for doing despicable things to law enforcement, government officials, and other such important people.

Raising an outrage over one particular subject, but then ignoring all the other terrible things that are shown in both movies and books and video games is holding an unfair standard up.

ninjapenguin981

Jul 10, 2009
While I think the idea of rape is disgusting and should not happen in real life. I also have this view about violence and many other things that happen in games, so I don't really see what the difference is, except societies idea of what is socially acceptable. I don't think I'd want to play a game like that though, it'd make me feel wrong, just like sometimes I feel wrong shooting people if they're not just faceless and personality less animated characters or machines.

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
The_Logician19 said:
laryri said:
CNN isn't going to respond to this. First rule of media, if you get torn apart by someone and have no defense, ignore it. Your viewers won't know, they go to you for news.
Or they're going to bring up "statistics" and "experts" that prove him wrong. They've done that before; it's pretty much the only reason anyone took Jack Thompson seriously.

'pologies.
Except that there are none. Doesn't help that the US is the most sexually repressed nation outside of the middle east and has one of the highest rates of rape and molestation on earth.

the_bearpelt

Dec 26, 2009
dochmbi said:
Japanese society is much more progressive in this issue than western society, and when I say progressive I mean more comforming to John Stuart Mills Harm Principle, which states that "over his own mind and body the individual is sovereign" and that the state should create laws only to prevent people from harming each other.

This is in my opinion the gold standard for jurisdiction in a liberal society, and should be adopted everywhere.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harm_principle
I'm curious, what do you mean in regards to rape?
I read the summary, but I'm having difficulty understand what you were trying to get at.

The way it's phrased (if I'm understanding it correctly) makes it sound all wonderful and stuff, but then it would boil down to, in court, coming up with a good argument of how you helped someone, even if you hurt them. That sounds farfetched, but have you HEARD of some of the frivolous lawsuits going around? The jurors are made up of regular citizens and, unfortunately, sometimes those people are idiots or jerks.

000Ronald

Mar 7, 2008
asinann said:
The_Logician19 said:
laryri said:
Or they're going to bring up "statistics" and "experts" that prove him wrong. They've done that before; it's pretty much the only reason anyone took Jack Thompson seriously.

'pologies.
Except that there are none.
I very much doubt that.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
I never understood why people aren't nearly as picky about violence as they are about sex over here (in the US). I mean, obviously rape is a crime, but I'm talking about in general. Sex is natural, something everyone will go through in their lives. I doubt many people will be blowing people's heads off with shotguns.

Still, good on you Nogami. Not sure I'd personally want to play the game, but you obviously win this argument.

Danglybits

Oct 31, 2008
Mackheath said:
Whilst I find these sorts of games ver distasteful, the hysteria over it is a bit rich coming from a country like the US, where a child can blow an adults head off with a legal gun.

Hopefully the world doesn't start getting censorship ideas now...
You said it. Yeah, I think the concept is absolutely gross, but the man has a point. Well, a few actually.

snow

Jan 14, 2010
Snowalker said:
SgtWaffles said:
Woah, CNN getting owned again??!?! What is this madness!
No, this is THE GAMING COMMUNITY!! *kick*
Whoa!!! I had to do a double take at your name and picture LOL!!

On topic:

If it's something that's legal in Japan.. Why the hell is CNN even bothering with it? Fear mongering assholes... They really had this one coming to them... Now all we need is Developers to host talk shows and bring in newscasters to tear apart and cut off mid-sentence like they do all the time!