COD, Other Games Blamed for Relationship Troubles

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
John Funk said:
perhaps related - one in ten said that they'd blown off a romantic evening to get their game on.

"It seems like a games console often means there are three people in a relationship," said a One-Poll representative. "It's a bit sad if the virtual world is taking precedence over the real world."
This is such a ridiculous comment.

Clearly, no one has ever declined a night out because they just wanted an evening to themselves to read a book, or go for a run.

-m

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
TimeLord said:
Angry Birds?

Yeah I can see that. It's so addictive!
lawl

Sorry hunny, I can't spend time with you tonight, I have pigs to squish.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
How the hell is WoW not number 1 on that list? What paralell universe did I wake up in?

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I would never let a relationship get in the way of my gaming.

No wait... actually I stand by that.

"Sorry honey, I love you, but to be fair my PC was here first"

Though how may relationships have been made/saved due to gaming? I'd think it sort of balances out.

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
Right I'm gonna call bullshit right here - second I saw Medal of Honour in the list. The game has been out a month. How can they possibly have sufficient enough stats on breakups related to that game in that period of time and put it in 5th place

Also WoW at 14 just made me laugh so hard

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I file this under 'Excuses for why people break up', and the fact that WoW is so low on the list is pretty good evidence for that. Most married couples I know play WoW together, and the only one I can recall that was married and didn't play with his spouse is presently finishing up a divorce. While that doesn't mean that spouses who don't play games together are doomed to break up, it's a simple matter of there being only so many hours in the day and having someone else you're supposed to be spending time with in some capacity.

The 'Lol WoW Players are Socially Inept' theory isn't quite borne out in my experience, either, though with millions upon millions of players, there are plenty who are.

Once again, all this shows is the first game that came to mind when the girl either rightfully or wrongfully dumped her last dude, nothing more.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I can see this being the case in some relationships, but it's just like anything else if you ignore your relationship constantly to do other things you are going to get dumped. Just like if you watch too much football/soap opreas etc.

In fact I'm sure more relationships have ended from spending some time reading page 3 of certain tabloid newspapers.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
It is possible for a relationship to end because someone spent too much time playing games and not enough time with their partner. But I think it's time we stopped blaming the games and started blaming the people who have their priorities screwed up. Seriously, people. Games are not some sort of chemically addicting drug, they are a pastime. If someone lacks the self-control to go on a date instead of playing Call of Duty, it's their own fault, not the game's.

Lim3

Feb 15, 2010
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.104777-PS3-Men-Say-Games-Are-Better-Than-Sex?page=1

This might have something to do with it ^

Sparcrypt

Oct 17, 2007
I play tons of games and have a girlfriend who has no issues with it.

It's easy:

1. Find a partner that accepts you're a gamer. This is your hobby and you enjoy it - don't hide it from them because you think they'll get scared off or it'll come back to bite you.

2. Schedule your playtime and have nights that you spend with your partner and don't game.
For instance every Tuesday night I spend watching movies on the couch with my girlfriend. This is 'our night' for this. However Wednesday and Thursday nights we do out own thing and I play games as much as I want. Monday and Friday vary week to week depending on what we feel like and weekends depend on weather and if there's anything planned. If a big title launches that I'm looking forward to then I spend a week or so more focused on that - again, my girlfriend is OK with this. As long as it's not every single week you'll find yours probably is as well.

3. If you play games like WoW or other MMORPGs that take up lots of time, explain to your partner that your raid times are locked in and you consider them an obligation like belonging to any other kind of team. However if you want to raid 6 nights a week for 6 hours at a time don't expect them to hang around. These days WoW raiding can be done 2 nights a week for 4-5 hours each night (and don't argue with me - I've done it). Maybe you won't be getting world first hardmode kills this way, but in 5 years time that's going to mean absolutely nothing to anyone. A meaningful relationship will.

4. If your partner is not happy with your playing habbits, sit down and discuss it with them. Come to a compromise and decide what is important to you and make your choices. Just don't act surprised when they leave you if you choose the games instead of them every time.

5. Get them playing! If your partner plays games as well they'll be MUCH more likely to be happy with your gaming habbits.

6. Finally, at the end of the day, family comes first. Once you do settle down, get married and have kids - you can still game, but you're going to have to schedule it around them and game when you have time. I know plenty of people who have families and still game plenty when the kids are in bed.

Long story short: if you are more interested in spending all your time playing games and not with your partner, your relationship will fail.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
John Funk said:
To the WoW comment: A lot of gamers who play WoW (at least on my server) play with their significant others, thereby making it less likely that the game itself will cause the relationship to break up. Not saying however that WoW doesn't cause these things. I can see competetive games (CoD and such) causing breakups between people who play together though, but WoW actually promotes team-building and rewards those who work together, which I believe is the crux of building relationships.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
Macgyvercas said:
How the hell is WoW not number 1 on that list? What paralell universe did I wake up in?
You assume that WoW players would bother getting themselves boyfriends or girlfriends to begin with. Maybe that stereotype about WoW players is true? That or WoW people find other WoW people and strike up relationships with them. However, because the game is on the list, I must assume that it still causes problems even then.

The fact that CoD is number one reminds me of an image on the Memebase site that has the cover of Black Ops where, instead of the title, it says "Hello ladies. I'm back to steal your boyfriends."

That picture captures this perfectly.