College Education Arms Race Bankrupting America

kevintheshane

Jan 19, 2008
xDarc said:
I'm not gonna post figures for people to pick with, i've seen threads become entirely about sources. I'd rather deal strictly in opinion.
Care to engage me in a rousing debate over the color red vs the color blue?

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
I study languages.
I'm currently working on my B.A., but I'm going to need at least a Master's Degree to really do anything in my chosen field beyond simple translation work. Also, I wouldn't have an opportunity to develop the skills I'm learning right now if I weren't attending a University.

This argument doesn't necessarily hold up for as many professions as some people seem to think.
Oh, and before anyone says anything, there's a lot more actual work and a lot more money involved in this kind of work than "common sense" would have you believe.

xDarc

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
lacktheknack said:
I find it absolutely delicious how you attack ME for not doing research or understanding your high and mighty mind, when your ideas are easily just as flawed as you think mine are (if not moreso).
I'm not attacking you for not doing research. I'm annoyed because people aren't thinking about the real idea, which is, the total amount spent on higher education has saddled Americans with trillions of dollars in personal debt.

xDarc

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
kevintheshane said:
xDarc said:
I'm not gonna post figures for people to pick with, i've seen threads become entirely about sources. I'd rather deal strictly in opinion.
No. But if you made a thread you'd probably get a ton of replies.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
kevintheshane said:
xDarc said:
Man, fuck blue. All running about with its greens and its purples hanging out. Plus, it's always rubbing it in our face how its so much better, using its stupid "data" and "graphs" about how people like it better. We all know that it's the bourgeois of the colors, unlike the glorious proletariats that are the Reds.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
xDarc said:
lacktheknack said:
I find it absolutely delicious how you attack ME for not doing research or understanding your high and mighty mind, when your ideas are easily just as flawed as you think mine are (if not moreso).
I'm not attacking you for not doing research. I'm annoyed because people aren't thinking about the real idea, which is, the total amount spent on higher education has saddled Americans with trillions of dollars in personal debt.
And I'd even agree with you, except that I know people - in fact, almost EVERYONE I know who's done University - are currently debt free or will be within five years (mortgage not included).

xDarc

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Well maybe i'll just fucking move to Canada then, because I know plenty more who never amounted to shit.

xDarc

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Ross Perot said:
xDarc said:
I'm not gonna do a well researched thread, I'll leave that up to you younglings with disposable free time. However, I would like to make a few points on why I feel the entire structure of the job market and higher education is a sham.
i just started laughing right here. Just wow.

You don't get to have an opinion that holds any water in discussion without research to back it up.

You fail at debate.
I may fail, but I save a fuck ton of free time.

xDarc

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Cause you know something- this thread would have went the exact same way, researched or not.

Smeagol150

Emperor of the Moon
Oct 20, 2008
Bara_no_Hime said:
Smeagol150 said:
zzz Wait... Babylon 5? This thread now interests me.
^^;; Um, I didn't really have more than "hey, that's Lita!"

But yeah. Babylon 5... great show. Other than season 5, but... yeah.
Hey HEY we don't talk about Season 5, that never happened. We all know the series ended after season 4. It wrapped up too perfectly to have a season 5. Season 5 would be silly. That never happened, no... Crusade...

OT: I really fail to see the point of this inane rant. To me, it seems like the rant of someone who flunked out of college so now wants to belittle all those who attend college. Without any of people attending college, that information you are too lazy to find wouldn't even exist in the first place. I fail to see a problem with artists, nurses, or people in the serving industry.

xDarc

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Smeagol150 said:
I fail to see a problem with artists, nurses, or people in the serving industry.
Not everyone can do it, it's just not economically feasible. But everyone is expected to. (college)

I am not bullshitting you when I say every 3rd person I meet in school has designs on some kind of nursing job. Good fucking luck with that, you'll be competing with million of others.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Hunh... someone road in on a high horse.

You know that education on all levels is a business right? and investment? Its made to make money, in the hopes that it stimulates the market. Its basically the governments gamble that you'll make yourself successful, thus spend more money.

So yeah. Also, if you want to tear into something like this, you should at least do research, cause if you as the OP dont care to, not alot of other people will.

xDarc

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
So yeah. Also, if you want to tear into something like this, you should at least do research, cause if you as the OP dont care to, not alot of other people will.
If I did, I wouldn't post it here where it would be completely unappreciated and the end result would be the exact same.

Flac00

May 19, 2010
xDarc said:
I just gotta disagree with one thing you are saying. And that is that you are portraying collages as money sucking "corporations" that take huge gains and give nothing back. That is very untrue. My father works as a professor at a slightly well known liberal arts collage, and money is tight. Even with endowments and higher tuitions, that money isn't just getting wasted. Collages arn't bad, nor do they suck away money, they are just like any educational system. Collage is important, sure not everyone needs a bachelors degree, but it certainly is an important part of our job structure.

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
Welcome to the age of specialization. As globalization and the advance of technology phase out all the 'least common denominator' jobs, the only ones left are those requiring a highly specialized (read: educated) skill-set. Sucks, but what are you gonna do, short of cry about it on the internet?

And it's not some big Machiavellian conspiracy. For-profit colleges are actually facing a lot of financial troubles right now, at least some of which is attributable to the rise in tech schools you mentioned.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
I always wonder where the money is going. No matter where I look I see businesses failing and nobody is successful, so where is the money going? I have no idea. : /

I agree about the cheap training centers, I mean in general people go to college to learn a very specific set of skills and end up wasting a lot of time and money that doesn't really contribute to anything except making more programs that people waste time and money on. I can't say for sure that people will end up using the skills they learn at such a center all their life, but if they have a job-change then at least they could just go to a different cheap training center and get focused.

Elementary, Middle and High school seem geared towards general education that people usually need to function, but a lot of what I'm seeing in college just isn't focused enough to really contribute to what people need to function at what they do. I dunno, maybe the colleges I've seen just suck.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
xDarc said:
emeraldrafael said:
If I did, I wouldn't post it here where it would be completely unappreciated and the end result would be the exact same.
What are you talking about? Have you seen half the "serious" discussion threads they have on the escapists? We love research, thats why when someone posts something they say "happened" we usually like to have the source.

But fine, just asnwer me this. YOU dont care, why should WE (the posters)? You wonder why you didnt get posts at first.

kevintheshane

Jan 19, 2008
Maybe you're not familiar with how debate works, but facts are usually an integral part of it, watch this:

90% of small businesses fail within one year of start-up. Most of these are sole proprietorship which means the owner of the business has unlimited liability. After the business goes bankrupt, you have to sell of all it's assets at depreciated values and hope you can scrape together enough money to pay back that evil greedy small-business loan.

After that you don't even have a $12/hr job to show for it.

Opening up a small business is a calculated risk. So is college. Yeah you may end up in a dead end job getting $12/hr, but if you actively spend your 4 years preparing for a career and don't dick off like a lot of college students, you may end up with more.

I think I understand what you're getting at here, but your original assertion that College Education is "Bankrupting America" doesn't hold much water.