Columnist Calls Black Ops Ad "Twisted"

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
This is a prime example of how it is time people like this got their head out of the sand and realize we are in a brave new world. When people are playing war games this is exactly what they are visualizing. Hell that is exactly what I am visualizing.
If that ad is too much for that guy there is always Sonic or Mario for him to play with.

blindthrall

Oct 14, 2009
This is the equivalent of Activision handing the anti-gaming establishment a hammer, then laying its dick out on a hard surface. They're daring the media to give them free press. It's a painfully obvious strategy by now, and it'll probably backlash on the gaming industry at some point.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
Rock said:
I understand the concern, but my first reaction was amusement, not horror. You don't see anyone getting angry at violent films or television shows. It's nice that they show a diverse group of people coming together to play video games. Which, as a side note is amusing since you see a woman first and they happened to forget those female avatar items. ;) I loved this commercial.
No, E.A. could not, because it's published by Activision.

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
little shotgun wielding girl? that was a woman...

its a game! not an ''depressing-truth-simulator-instead-of-something-that-is-fun''

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
henritje said:
its still missing 12yo noobs but I kinda like this commercial I dont see anything wrong with it also I dont see anything wrong with the banned Xbox commercial
That's just what I was thinking. If it had the kid standing there screaming at people calling them cheaters and Kimmel cheap for using the launcher, then it'd be a real depiction of online gaming.

HavocS6

Nov 3, 2009
'ahem'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sqSQ5Vu8vM&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2tLKjeOstg&feature=channel

I knew those ads seemed familiar.

Hawkeye16

Nov 15, 2009
I may not be very excited for Black Ops (though I will most likely rent it for the return of Nazi Zombies) I found the ad to funny as hell.

astrav1

Jul 6, 2009
I'm all for bad press on Activison, but this is a little bogus. If the commercial is bad then all war media is bad, including the recruitment commercial for the Marines when they were using video games to recruit.

schiz0phren1c

Jan 17, 2008
Just watched the ad for the first time and what the hell is wrong with people that protest something so obviously tongue in cheek?
theres enough REAL problems in the world.
nannying PC fuckers.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
"in the middle of a very realistic battlefield, complete with explosions, automatic weapons fire, circling helicopters and more."

lol..no. just no.
nothing is realistic about that battlefield.

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
Oh my god that fry cook is badass.

OT: People really need to chill. This ad is made to look fun, that's the point.

3AM

Oct 21, 2010
I liked the ad a lot. I thought it was actually cute and loved how inclusive it was and dismissive of the gamer stereotype. Sometimes I wonder what these easily-influenced, highly-excitable people are like that must be protected from all these games, movies and books. What do they do with their day? Do they sit in darkened rooms, all media off, in case they hear or see something stimulating that makes them crazy with bloodlust or uncontrollable sexual desires? Would a game of solitaire, with cards mind you, turn them into competitive assholes who must win the hand at all costs? When are "they" going to realize we have brains and can tell the difference between fantasy and reality?

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
That was actually my first reaction to it. You know what really gets me about all this? People get mad about video games portraying combat as all fun and games (10 days in Fallujah), but no one gets mad at the US military ad campaigns.

It basically says, "Oh look! Being in the military is like being in a cool sci-fi flick!" The difference is that at the end they ask you to actually put yourself in front of a bullet. Media does affect perception, but games aren't unique in this. This isn't the first time the media has portrayed something as unrealistically fun or cool, and it won't be the last, but they're not doing it with malicious intent. I find it more sinister when propagandists do it on purpose.

Epictank of Wintown

Jan 8, 2009
Here's one question I have about this:

How is this commercial, this ad, ANY DIFFERENT AT ALL from some of the over-the-top, absolutely ridiculous action movies we've seen over the last few years?

Oh, right. It's for a video game. Clearly, that makes it the root of all evil.