Columnist Calls Black Ops Ad "Twisted"

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
This ad made me briefly contemplate buying Black Ops. In that case, it's a very good commercial because it did what it was supposed to: Make me, a person who really doesn't care for CoD, want it slightly.
This guy is just probably trying to sound special, because nobody probably listens to him anyway.

Fuselage

Nov 18, 2009
Deofuta said:
Maybe he was running out of ideas for his opinion piece?

I loved, loved, LOVED this commercial. I found it comical, fun to watch, and it also managed to capture some of the fun and hilarity that can be found in games in general.

Also, fear the Chef, he comes for YOU!
No, he was a donuts man.
This is like awesome commercial and people who don't like it should look properly after taking their head out of their asses.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
That was a seriously sweet ad, captures the spirit of gaming nicely - everyone having a blast and not taking anything seriously. Of course, if you don't understand gaming and have never even tried to, it's not hard to see how you'd get batshit insane over it. That's no excuse, but it is an explanation.

Good on Activision for doing something controversial without being stupid - I think their marketing dept know what it's doing.

That said, still not getting the game :p

Senrab

Mar 22, 2008
"Escapist Forum user calls Black Ops ad 'Hysterical.'"

Why is his opinion more valuable than mine?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I think one thing we're all overlooking in this debate is that Gimme Shelter is fucking awesome.

persopolis

Oct 30, 2009
-wank wank wank
*wank?
-wank wank wank wank wank wank wank wank. Wank!
*wank wank...
-> shut up! *thud*

wankers

w-Jinksy

May 30, 2009
i fucking love this advert makes me smile everytime i see it, and i dont see the big fuss i mean it doesnt actually show any death.

also the badass fastfood worker at the end is it just me or does he resemble Anton Chigurh from no country for old men?

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
It's real soldiers that have some problems with it, maybe they find it glorifies war and perhaps they've seen war horrors we can only imagine.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
I quite liked the advert, primarily because it had The Rolling Stones in it. But I can see why some people (e.g. those who have witnessed the horrors of frontline warfare) might find it distasteful.

Nov 10, 2010
What a fucking moron. WHy does it seem everyone in news media doesn't have the intelligence to understand what things mean, yet always open their misinformed mouths. T^his commercial is quite obiously pointing out the diversity of people who play CoD. You never know who you just fragged onine. For christ sake Kobe Bryant and Jimmy Kimmel are in the commercial. As well as a business woman, a firefighter, and a dude from a concierge service. Symbolism?!?! Jesus I hate newspapers.

temporalcrux

Nov 9, 2009

They're dead on the inside and are secretly planning on killing people because they show no emotions when killing game characters.

VERSUS

They are gonna kill people for the thrill of it! They're playing a game that's so real about killing people, and they're enjoying themselves!

Yeah, just forget the commercials, the media, hell, forget the damn game even. It's just another rehash of a shooter that no one really will remember unless all the sequels are horrible. That's how the shooter genre works.

Red Albatross

Jun 11, 2009
I think it's a great commercial, and I really think the juxtaposition is ludicrous enough to not be taken seriously. But since some people are incapable of loosening up, of course there will be some kind of uproar about it. I've already seen some idiot news station complain about it, saying that the phrase "There's a soldier in all of us" is an insult to real soldiers, at which point I buried my face in my hands and despaired at being part of the human race. Really? Isn't that the fucking point of the military? Normal fucking people, like you and me, taking up arms against our enemies?

Even if it wasn't, it's a COMMERCIAL. For a VIDEO GAME.

Nov 5, 2007
Epictank of Wintown said:
Here's one question I have about this:

How is this commercial, this ad, ANY DIFFERENT AT ALL from some of the over-the-top, absolutely ridiculous action movies we've seen over the last few years?

Oh, right. It's for a video game. Clearly, that makes it the root of all evil.
I dunno, maybe because movies are already seen in the public eye as a legit art form and games are not. Instead games are seen as dumb, violent and just petty amusement. So I think this ad is incredibly tone-deaf considering it was launched mere days after the SCOTUS hearing where games were falsely called out for being exactly like what this ad is portraying them to be: violent, without meanings, train people to be killers because hey, there's a soldier in all of us right!

You can't claim video games as art, and then when people start looking into the games critically, say that "hey, its only a game." You don't get it both fucking ways.

It's not always people being too oversensitive, sometimes it's just gamers being incapable of basic compassion or understanding, and just being insensitive about everything.

traukanshaku said:
I've already seen some idiot news station complain about it, saying that the phrase "There's a soldier in all of us" is an insult to real soldiers, at which point I buried my face in my hands and despaired at being part of the human race. Really? Isn't that the fucking point of the military?.
The issue though is that this ad (and the game to a certain degree) reduces the job of a soldier to "a dude that runs around shooting people for fun".

Polock

Jan 23, 2010
I thought the commercial was great, really caught my attention. Commercials rarely do.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Oh good. I hate stuff like this for the obvious reasons: it is taking a stab at games and I like games, but I also hate this stuff for a second reason: it points out how die hard all us gamers are. There never seems to be any discussion, just a round of back slapping where we all say "yeah, that guy is dumb, games are great and he is obviously wrong and that is that". Are we all really that fucking reactionary? Come on people.

Unfortunate that stuff like this can't spark a wider debate on the subject.

summerof2010 said:
That was actually my first reaction to it. You know what really gets me about all this? People get mad about video games portraying combat as all fun and games (10 days in Fallujah), but no one gets mad at the US military ad campaigns.
I get annoyed with the Canadian ones all the time. And lest we forget, the American army made their own video game, to use as a propaganda tool. From what I heard, back when AA first came out, it worked well.

Of course, one bad act does not negate another, and this is a forum dedicated to video games, not the politics of the army. So I guess I'm saying, "and?"

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Oh come on, it's not like these people were using real weapons....

And if they were, I garentee they are properly trained.

PanicStricken

Nov 10, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
"The thud of recoil, the screams of rockets, the dust of explosions... and the look of exasperation on that little, shotgun-wielding girl. The only things missing are the dead bodies on the receiving ends of each bullet and blast."
that's because you respawn after pressing x...

deadxero

Sep 2, 2010
Someone should remind him that he needs to remove his face from his ass and grow a sence of humor. I though that ad was funny as hell.

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
LORD GREN said:
I personally don't like the ad, but he's reading too much into it.(BTW the RPG-7 is a recoilless weapon, so it won't knock you on your ass like that.)
yea but hes a noob and we all know that nubs get knocked on their assess with everything.