Commander Shepard Raps About Mining for Minerals in Mass Effect 2

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Commander Shepard Raps About Mining for Minerals in Mass Effect 2

Does scanning for minerals in Mass Effect 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-2-Xbox-360/dp/B001TORSII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278968926&sr=1-1] get you down? Commander Shepard may have the cure, and the cure is some dope rhymes.

It's no secret that scanning planets for minerals seems to be generally loathed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/on-the-ball/7157-On-the-Ball-Scanning-for-Fun-and-Profit] by everyone who played Mass Effect 2. So what do you do to vent your frustration with the mechanic, assuming you aren't a contributor to a major videogame website like Mr. Deam?

If you're internet lyricist here [http://www.youtube.com/user/KABUTOTHEPYTHON]) expresses Kabuto's problems with the boring, tedious mechanic that's nonetheless all but required in order to advance through the game.

The lyrics are clever and well-written, and set to a track that expertly samples sound clips from the actual game - this is some truly excellent videogame rap, my friends. Maybe it'll make the actual scanning more tolerable ... or maybe that's beyond hope. Either way, an awesome song is an awesome song.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Ha, this is brilliant... in a rather odd way.
I don't really like rap, but it is still funny...
Heh... Miranda... am I glad I didn't quite catch what it said? :D
Love the freaky Joker dance :D and it does make good use of in-game soundtracks...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
This is news how?

Is the world that enamored with Mass Effect 2 that this counts as news?

I couldn't listen past 1:20 without getting sick of it and turning it off.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
The answer is yes.

I didn't really like the rap either; maybe it's because mineral scanning didn't bother me as much as it did for some other people.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
I've had the beat of this song stuck in my head all day.

I had no idea that the galaxy map music was such a good background to some phat beats.

DominicxD

Dec 28, 2009
That was pretty good xD

I didn't mind scanning tbh, would prefer it if they find something fun to do for the grind next time.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Xzi said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
This is news how?

I couldn't listen past 1:20 without getting sick of it and turning it off.
Aww, someone's a little bit of a sour-puss today.
I should be. ME2 took most of the RPG out of ME. And there wasn't too much there to begin with. It's good, but its been dumbed down to a shooter with a few powers and a handful of skill points.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Nice mix. I bet if he knew it was going to be bandied around he would have done better visuals.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I think it's hilarious, but honestly people: the mining game wasn't that bad. I mean, I mined four, five planets TOPS and had enough junk to make most of the upgrades. And if I had simply decided to randomly search rich planets for big deposits, I would have probably cut my time spent on mining in half (I did the planets to COMPLETION, motherfuckers: regardless of how many minerals were left there.)

It served as a nice distraction.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Heh, pretty neat.

With the all the videogame fan-music around, you'd almost start to think of making it a regular feature on The Escapist.

Oh wait, you've already got one of those.

Personally I'd rather listen to rap than to Rebbeca Mayes, but lol opinions.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Man, I cannot WAIT for my wife to hear this. She just wrapped up ME2 this morning.

Also, Snatch clips for the win.

Theron Julius

Nov 30, 2009
Quite funny. I wasn't as hugely bothered by the scanning as most people appear to be, but it's still fairly annoying nonetheless. I want to see the lyrics though.

Apr 28, 2008
"I get it in with the Iridium"

Well I never!

Pretty interesting song though. Not sure I would call it good, but whatever.

Still doesn't make mining any less boring though, sadly.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
lol.
That was good.
Now its going to be stuck in my head for the rest of the day.
At least its got good lyrics and the tune its set to is...wow.
Its really intoxicating.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
This gives me a resounding feeling of "Meh" it was okay and it had some interesting parts but my despise of rap music overpowers any feeling of "this is good" that i get