Competitive Gamer Arrested For Hitting Ex-Girlfriend

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Not sure I understand everything here. If she's his "ex" girlfriend she should really be allowed to see whoever she wants.

He might think they still have some kind of relationship going on but that kind of thing seems to happen a lot, where the guy can't accept the fact that they are 'no more'. If they did have something going on then okay, but if you're still calling each other "ex" then there's no real commitment there.

I'm certainly no saint. I'd be pretty fucking pissed in a similar situation, especially if this was happening in my suite (which this article seems to imply). I'd probably give the guy a bit of a beasting but I just can't imagine myself striking a woman.
I've had plenty of intense arguments with girls but I never once lay a hand on them in anger, the most I did was push one so she fell backwards onto the bed as I walked out. Hit plenty of walls and punching bags though.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
He has a right to be angry.

Yeah, hitting ain't a good idea, but, it's understandable to act out in rage.

Not like he beat her or anything, by the sounds of things, it was a single strike. Which, yeah, I'm not condoning it or anything, but, doesn't sound like an active attempt to cause a person harm, more just an act of rage after finding out the person has betrayed you.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Hagi said:
Kargathia said:
Hagi said:
luvd1 said:
Hagi said:
Sounds like he's got some anger issues, especially considering this isn't the first time.

On the other hand, getting angry and even throwing a few punches whilst certainly not right is somewhat understandable upon finding what you believed was your girlfriend in bed with another guy. It certainly doesn't make it okay, but it should be taken into account.

As always, the news headline makes it sound much worse than it actually is.
Not if it wasn't his suite he walked into. If it was his bed he found them, understandable.... If he was in France.
Because getting this angry over cheating is only somewhat understandable if it happens in your own bed?

You have a strange attachment to your bed I must say...
Well, judging by the explicit mention of "ex-girlfriend", we're not entirely sure about the cheating bit, but I can certainly relate to his distaste of other people having sex in his bed.
Hell, if I'd find my ex and her boyfriend in my bed I'd throw them out as well, even if I think they're a great couple.

But judging by the fact he physically assaulted the guy, and not just threw them out of his room, I think we can safely conclude that the cleanliness of his bedsheets wasn't his primary concern.
Obviously she's his ex-girlfriend now.

The article however also explicitly mentions that, at the time of the event, he still considered her his girlfriend.

Again, I'm not saying it's somehow okay to physically assault a guy you find having sex with your girlfriend. But I am saying that it's a completely different situation than this article's title is making it out to be.
Oh, definitely. While I'd rather refrain from making assumptions about the state of their relationship, it's pretty damn clear that "arrested for hitting ex-girlfriend" is not a suitable description of what happened.

Kalezian said:
Well, he says he only pushed her with an open palm, which if Florida has the same assault laws that I know of, doesn't actually constitute as assault, hitting with a closed fist of course is assault.
... that's a ridiculous distinction. I'm pretty damn sure my karate teacher could kill somebody thrice over without ever closing his fists xD

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Delightful. I wonder whether this will end up staining the whole community's rep as so many acts are wont to do...

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Andy Chalk said:
Andy Chalk said:
High-ranking fighting gamer
Am I a horrible person that I find this funny?

Anyways, assault is assault. While it sucks that competitive gaming's reputation will take a hit, getting assholes in trouble makes it worthwhile.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Is it really his fault that his girlfriend didn't know how to pull off a C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!?

is it Chris Benoit's fault that his family was stubborn and wouldn't tap out?

is it Chris Brown's fault that Rihanna makes bad music?

if you ask me, in all three cases, they all had it coming.

(not really, relax)

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
Fffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

God fucking damnitt. If it was a female who walked in on her boyfriend cheating, she could hit him a thousand times and it would never make headlines.

Bleh. That's all I have to say.

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
luvd1 said:
Wow. Just like a real sportsman. Competitive gaming must be seen as real sports now.
heh, my thoughts exactly, its one step closer to earning the respect of mainstream sports, we just need a few horde players assaulting alliance players in the street and a riot or two when battle.net goes down for a few hours.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Me55enger said:
Hope they throw the book at him.

So this is the face of Esports, is it?
Before this story did any of us even know there was a competitive ranking for Marvel vs Capcom 3 players? Let's be honest it's not like this is an NFL Quarterback ( a field which seems to have a rather disturbing off the field history in and of itself). He's just some dude who is apparently good at playing a video game in his spare time. He's probably also an asshole. The two facts are utterly unrelated.

TekMoney

Jun 30, 2013
The7Sins said:
Seeing as she was cheating on him I have 0 sympathy for her. Honestly she deserved much much worse like a bullet to the head. The dude she was fucking if he knew she was in a relationship also needs to be shot. If he legitimately did not then a beating from the offended party as he received is wrong but understandable.
You're a well adjusted human being.

Also, note the "Ex-Girlfriend" part of the title.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
I think it's France that has "Crime of Passion" laws for situations like these?

Anyway, nice click-bait title. How very Kotaku of you.

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
This whole scenario is crazy. It's like they acted out the script to a reality TV show but there were no cameras around. Who knew the competitive gaming circuit was just like Jersey Shore?

Ryan Minns

Mar 29, 2011
He entered the suite? As in a suite at a hotel? Didn't mention force so it's safe to assume he had a key... so it was his suite? Was he given any advanced warning she considered him an ex or was this the first he heard of it?

HellbirdIV

May 21, 2009
luvd1 said:
Wow. Just like a real sportsman. Competitive gaming must be seen as real sports now.
This was exactly what I thought when reading this...

Phrozenflame500 said:
Andy Chalk said:
Andy Chalk said:
High-ranking fighting gamer
Am I a horrible person that I find this funny?
Yes, you are. And even worse for making me laugh at it too, damn it!

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
martyrdrebel27 said:
Is it really his fault that his girlfriend didn't know how to pull off a C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!?

is it Chris Benoit's fault that his family was stubborn and wouldn't tap out?

is it Chris Brown's fault that Rihanna makes bad music?

if you ask me, in all three cases, they all had it coming.

(not really, relax)
I just realized. His last name is Brown