Concentration Camp Game Canceled Due to Backlash

Katamake

Dec 19, 2010
Isn't 'Prisoner of War' on Ps2 from 2002 in this area? I remember that coming out in 2002 to no controversy, not saying its the same subject matter but its not a million miles away. Don't think it did very well which may help explain nothing really coming out like it in the following 8 years that was worth speaking of.

I wonder if this mod was a stealth game whether the ADL would have complained as much, something sounds oddly more acceptable to me if its about escape rather than blowing up many, many people.

I can understand people disliking the idea of it being a mod, it makes it sound like its not taken seriously. I personally would prefer to see this subject matter dealt with in a way that includes a big budget, and preferably no shooting on the players part. But the subject matter seems to be in the same area as that six days in Fallujah game, maybe someday, but not yet.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
I don't think the holocaust should be off limits but it should be handled a bit more delicately.

Gashad

Apr 8, 2009
While the game seems tasteless, its absurd to say that video games can't tackle the holocaust. I mean books and movies are allowed to deal with it so why shouldn't computer games? A computer game that dealt with the issue in a mature way would have been interesting.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Ya know...

I'd love to see a game about black soldiers during WWII. Should that be off limits as well?

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
Kurokami said:
Plurralbles said:
THAT IS BULLSHIT!

Fuck everyone who gets offended at a fcking game. Shit. No one, or almostno one, is fcking alive from those camps anymore. It's history. Get over it.

It was the msot interesting premise for a game of hte year.

Damnit.
I know a lot of people from the camps.
you are the exception to the rule.

Were they all very upset?

Jackpot

Mar 21, 2008
Why do we have no fucking power to stop these fucking pricks?
Jews do not own the holocaust for one, it's about freedom of speech for two.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Ha, this is clearly defamation of character... I mean, we all know the Jews didn't' really fight back. Wouldn't want a fantasy game making it look like they actually did. FOOLISHNESS!!!!

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
Hm. While I believe that labelling things 'off limits' is a very tricky road to go down, and not a good one if we want videogames to advance as a medium (there have been holocaust books and movies, for example), I do believe that developers would need to treat it VERY carefully - and to be honest, from the screenshot of the game those indie developers were making? Not a particularly sensitive or 'deep' way to depict a concentration camp. I don't object to a game based around an uprising, failed or not, but the eye watering graphics and Doom/Quake-style FPS feel doesn't really seem to do the topic justice. I realise they're an indie developer, but that doesn't make them immune to this criticism. Honestly, It was probably less the holocaust topic in general, and more the presentation that made people react against it and use words like 'trivialise'. It doesn't matter if one of the developers lost family in the holocaust. You have to think of others, and how they might feel.

I know we don't want a tide of dark, grey, Nazi shooters, but the Holocaust is a dark, grey Nazi-involving topic, and I think it needs more thought.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Gindil said:
Ya know...

I'd love to see a game about black soldiers during WWII. Should that be off limits as well?
Well, you know some dumbass out there would complain that it's a racist game because theer are no white playable characters ('cause, y'know, there's such a shortage of those in gaming).

Peteron

Oct 9, 2009
Grospoliner said:
Tasteless? Off-limits? So the Jews aren't allowed to fight back? That's the message being sent. I will admit that the way it is done in was inaccurate as all hell, but why should the story of the prisoners or the guards be off limits? To deny the stories of their lives is to deny their very existence. I can't think of anything more wrong than that short of actually taking someone's life.

No, you are as incorrect as humanly possible. Seeing as the people who complained happened to be of Jewish faith, you really think the message they would be sending is that Jews aren't allowed to fight back? Read what you typed once more and tell me if that makes sense. They did not want this game being made because it is tasteless and will not honor the dead, but rather make it into a fun videogame. That is no way to honor those who died during the Holocaust. And I am German and I know this! As for the person who said "movies can be made of the holocaust, why can't games?" That is because movies aren't just for entertainment, they can be emotional and honorable with lots of meaning. Games however, are nothing more than mindless entertainment. I am not picking on games, I am just stating they are entirely different.

Chrinik

May 8, 2008
Well, the Concentration Camp Manager and several nazi developed games are already on the index in germany...
The Holocaust is off-limits for videogames? Yeah, because it has been tackled in books, TV-shows, Movies and by COMEDIANS for fucks sake, and noone complains. THE CRUSADES have been trivialised by Monty Python! We just wait 40 years, maybe then noone will complain about stupid shit like that.

Kadoodle

Nov 2, 2010
I don't mind the holocaust in games, but depicting the concentration camps in an action shooter seems wrong to me. It would have to be a very well done game with a story like Heavy Rain to pass, not some dumb wolfenstein ripoff.

Kadoodle

Nov 2, 2010
"Umm... fuck that. Seriously not to trivialize the holocaust but I don't see why people act like it was the worst genocide in history. It wasn't. And the fact that Israel still uses it as a get-out-of-jail-free card all the time just pisses me off. They should be glad Germany actually admits that the Holocaust happened. The Chinese still deny the Tiananmen Square Massacre. The Turks still deny the Armenian Genocide right before WWI. More people died by the hand of Josef Stalin's Holodomor than people in the Holocaust. People, not just Jews. Genocide is never okay, but the fact that people act like it was the worst thing to ever happen in history is just fueling the fire."

The holocaust deserves extra attention because it was not mindless killing. Every part was carefully planned, every death was a systematic execution, and the treatment of prisoners was worse than torture. Other genocides, such as darfur, or the Tienanmen square massacre, are/were in the moment killings. No gas chambers. No ovens. No living in shacks with sawdust bread for food. Know your shit before you spew it out your mouth.

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
Secret world leader (shhh) said:
Nobody pulls this shit when they make a film about the holocaust. The ADL can go fuck themselves if this is solely because it's a game.
Pretty much this. Double standards are a *****.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
Kadoodle said:
Know your shit before you spew it out your mouth.
That's a completely arbitrary distinction to make, unless your morality comes straight out of The Divine Comedy. Jewish lives are not somehow more worth, even if the crimes committed against them half a century ago were more sinister than most.

That said, jews do not have monopoly on the holocaust. Just the fact that we refer to it as "The Holocaust" is a testimony to how bad this pussy-footing has become. It was not The Holocaust, it was a holocaust.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I don't agree. People need a reason to complain. The easy liberty friendly answer here is simply to ignore it or pay no attention to it if you don't agree with it. I could easily turn around and say that military service for most german men at that time was compulsory. Also, being of german decent, and I don't like to see innocent german soldiers killed because they had a gun held to their head and were made to fight on behalf of the Axis Powers.

That would be stupid though, I love to kill haters in any game, it shouldn't matter who I play as in the game at all. Furthermore, it is not depicting any negative slant to the Jewish community at all. It was based on a real event, but clearly there was no super soldier walking through that camp killing Nazi's, so it's still fantasy.

Everyone is so sensitive, it's mind numbing. I don't care to watch fashion shows or children's programming, I don't fight to get these things taken off the air. Furthermore, I abore violence in real life, but I don't fight to have any violent image removed from the world around me. Everyone honestly needs to grow up a little bit and realize that you can't control the world around you and you definitely can't control what other people want or do.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Peteron said:
Grospoliner said:
Tasteless? Off-limits? So the Jews aren't allowed to fight back? That's the message being sent. I will admit that the way it is done in was inaccurate as all hell, but why should the story of the prisoners or the guards be off limits? To deny the stories of their lives is to deny their very existence. I can't think of anything more wrong than that short of actually taking someone's life.

No, you are as incorrect as humanly possible. Seeing as the people who complained happened to be of Jewish faith, you really think the message they would be sending is that Jews aren't allowed to fight back? Read what you typed once more and tell me if that makes sense. They did not want this game being made because it is tasteless and will not honor the dead, but rather make it into a fun videogame. That is no way to honor those who died during the Holocaust. And I am German and I know this! As for the person who said "movies can be made of the holocaust, why can't games?" That is because movies aren't just for entertainment, they can be emotional and honorable with lots of meaning. Games however, are nothing more than mindless entertainment. I am not picking on games, I am just stating they are entirely different.
That is where you are wrong. It's a video game, it's meant to be fun. It's not 7th grade history class, there is nothing to be gained by taking away what it is meant to be. People like you are a joke, you think your fighting for something, but you really just furthering the agenda of political correctness and stomping on publication rights of companies. Every game about WW2 is not about honoring the dead, most are just frag fests that are won by killing more of them than they kill of you. But this one, because it contains Jewish characters, has to be about honoring the dead. Grow up and think before you talk. You are the exact same type of person that mourns a single event till the day you die, and because you can't move on, no one else is aloud to. Gimme a break. Also, a lot of games these days are made in such a way that brings out strong emotions in the people who play them. Games haven't been mindless in a long long time. Actually, the production values of games today are just as big as your movies that aren't just for entertainment... and on that note, it's fuckin' movies, you only watch them because you want to experience a particular set of emotions, for your entertainment. The very definition of entertainment is Something that amuses, pleases, or diverts, especially a performance or show. Movies, music and yes, even video games fit into all these categories.