Conflict between Palestine and Israel escalates

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Odds are this shit is gonna start WW3, and the sad thing is we won’t have any allies this time.
Hate to break it to you, but that's what the evangelicals and fundies -- and the conservative politicians they funnel endless money and votes to -- are going for. They literally believe this is the prelude to the Rapture, tribulation, and battle of Armageddon.

Reactions: Gyrobot

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Hate to break it to you, but that's what the evangelicals and fundies -- and the conservative politicians they funnel endless money and votes to -- are going for. They literally believe this is the prelude to the Rapture, tribulation, and battle of Armageddon.

Fortunately, it's not going to happen just yet, just like it didn't last time.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Final tally is 13 in favour, 1 opposed (US), and one abstention (UK). US complained that the resolution didn't specifically condemn Hamas.

Meanwhile, the President has asked Congress to approve a deal worth ~500m dollars to provide the IDF with tank shells. Which I'm sure is unrelated. As if they're in desperate need of assistance; as if their military power doesn't already gigantically outweigh their enemy.

Russia, which is currently engaged in slaughtering civilians, has accused the US and UK of complicity in slaughtering civilians.

Fucking nest of vipers.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
They don't give a shit, this is a genocide they will most certainly get away with. Just watch Genocidal Organ to know how our media plans to force to accept the Genocide of a group of poor people in action and realize we are on a one way to train to fuckedsville

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
The fucking US ambassador was scrolling on his phone during the UN meeting.

Edit: About Gaza.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
I vaguely recall that your idea of what the Labour Party should do about its (mostly?) manufactured antisemitism crisis seemed to be to capitulate to the Zionists, so given that context 'increasingly' looks at first glance to be mildly self-serving. Not that we need to have a struggle session about it.
Labour's purpose is not to campaign for the Palestinians. Its purpose is to represent the British left wing, with a primary objective of winning elections in the UK to do so. Given the media hammering it was taking - much of which can be laid at the feet of Jeremy Corbyn's catastrophic leadership failings - it was well in its way to failing on that objective. At the point Labour betrays the interests of the people it represents just so it can make the right noises about an issue it has effectively no influence over, it is doing something very badly wrong.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America

Labour's purpose is not to campaign for the Palestinians. Its purpose is to represent the British left wing, with a primary objective of winning elections in the UK to do so. Given the media hammering it was taking - much of which can be laid at the feet of Jeremy Corbyn's catastrophic leadership failings - it was well in its way to failing on that objective. At the point Labour betrays the interests of the people it represents just so it can make the right noises about an issue it has effectively no influence over, it is doing something very badly wrong.
you don't represent the interests of the British left wing by capitulating to the British right wing or letting Zionists direct a purge of your party.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
you don't represent the interests of the British left wing by capitulating to the British right wing or letting Zionists direct a purge of your party.
Funnily enough, that is beginning to sound like antisemitic conspiracy theory - those devious Jews, orchestrating a purge of the Labour Party!

Labour was under attack by the Tories and their pet press: they drove it, not "Zionists" (although I accept there can be significant overlap between the two). The simplest way to restore the reputation of the party was a clear and strong response against antisemitism - which, sure, "Zionists" could piggy-back on. The later purge has little to do with Jews or Israel at all, but that Corbyn and much of his clique were absolutely fucking toxic to Labour's electoral chances.

And let's not forget, Jeremy Corbyn (who of course referred to Hamas and Hezbollah as "friends" as the style was in his clique), recently went on TV and repeatedly refused to say that Hamas was a terrorist group even after they'd recently murdered ~1000 civilians in cold blood. It's very nice that he later admitted that they were a terrorist group in a written piece, and stated he thought the IDF could be accused of terror too (fair enough in my view), but that TV gaffe is precisely this sort of clod-hopping inadequacy that made him an utter fucking liability and helped hand your "Zionists" the openest goal in the world.

I cannot help but wonder - if a more practical and savvy leftist like John McDonnell had got the nod rather than Corbyn, I think things could have been very different. Instead we got the modern equivalent of a holy fool, which the zealots refuse to acknowledge for what he was.

Last edited:

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Funnily enough, that is beginning to sound like antisemitic conspiracy theory - those devious Jews, orchestrating a purge of the Labour Party!
The Labour Party under Starmer is frequently (mostly?) purging (anti-Zionist) Jews. But it's interesting how your mind works, I guess.

The simplest way to restore the reputation of the party was a clear and strong response against antisemitism
A clear and strong response against antisemitism is actually incompatible with what Corbyn's critics wanted or would ever accept, as the equation of Israel or Zionism with Judaism is itself antisemitic. It was demanded of Labour that they affirm a contradiction and enforce that contradiction-- or silence-- on their members.

recently went on TV and repeatedly refused to say that Hamas was a terrorist group even after they'd recently murdered ~1000 civilians in cold blood.
Is the British public really that impressed by the babbling of Piers Morgan?

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Is the British public really that impressed by the babbling of Piers Morgan?
Nice attempt at deflection. There's nothing about Piers Morgan that meant Jeremy Corbyn couldn't do the simple task of acknowledging Hamas are terrorists on TV.

And therein lies a substantial chunk of the reason why the whole fucking mess started in the first place those years ago.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
If at any point you equate anti-zionism with antisemitism, you've lost the plot. That's the line of war crimes enthusiasts.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Nice attempt at deflection. There's nothing about Piers Morgan that meant Jeremy Corbyn couldn't do the simple task of acknowledging Hamas are terrorists on TV.
Just because you can do something does not mean that you should.

edit: And I should clarify, it's a genuine question. I saw the clip, Piers was an embarrassment. If that's what constitutes discourse in your country, you are even more fucked than my country.

Last edited:

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
If at any point you equate anti-zionism with antisemitism, you've lost the plot. That's the line of war crimes enthusiasts.
It's hard to tell, though, isn't it? After all, plenty of antisemites really have been using "Zionist" as a plausibly deniable way to mean "Jew" for decades. So when you want to mischaracterise Labour clearing out the Corbynite faction as the work of "Zionists" rather than the much wider political reasons it was actually done for, then you're inviting difficult questions.

Just because you can do something does not mean that you should.
Sure. But where does "should" apply? The the best interests of Jeremy Corbyn's ego and the best interests of the Labour Party are not the same thing. Of course, he does not officially represent the Labour Party any more (although unofficially in many people's minds will, because he was recently leader of it), but the problem is that he was like that when he led it, too.

edit: And I should clarify, it's a genuine question. I saw the clip, Piers was an embarrassment. If that's what constitutes discourse in your country, you are even more fucked than my country.
Piers Morgan is wallowing in the least-watched TV channel of its type (news/opinion), which is essentially Rupert Murdoch's (second?) attempt to create a British Fox News. With the difference that the UK version is the least watched news/opinion channel, very unlike Fox in the USA.