Conflict between Palestine and Israel escalates

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Blatant lies and fuckery. Why would they do this?

-
A collective of language activists has accused the BBC of mistranslating an interview recorded in Arabic with a released Palestinian prisoner, so that she appeared to be praising Hamas despite never mentioning the group.

Respond Crisis Translation said that her original quote attacking her Israeli captors for the inhumane conditions prisoners were kept under - "they imprisoned us for a month. As winter came, they cut off the electricity. We almost died from the cold weather" - was translated into English subtitles as "and no one helped us. Only Hamas cared. Those who felt our suffering, I thank them very much".

She then said "they sprayed us with pepper spray and left us to die inside the prison", which the subtitles translated as "and we love them very much", which could make it appear as if her sentiments were directed at Hamas.

1701072943574.png

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Well, that certainly makes me regret not voting for that Dixiecrat piece of shit...well, there's not actually a number less than zero, is there.

BBC is right-wing as fuck on basically any political position that isn't putting a person of color or LGBTQ in front of a camera to spew right-wing talking points, that's why.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
As unreliable as the BBC often is on this, this particular instance doesn't appear to be a fabrication but rather a shoddy edit.

Those statements about Hamas weren't in the BBC clip. But in the full interview with her (which is available on Al Jazeera), she does say those things. So it would appear the BBC matched the wrong section of subtitles to the video-- but those sentiments were expressed, the BBC didn't invent them.

Of course, this is all a bit of a distraction. By far the most important part here is the survivor testimony of torture.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Got banned from r/politics yesterday for hate speech. They refused to explain why and as I was typing this I just realized why. Chuck Schumer made a speech this week about anti-semitism in the US and it all feels like such a transparent attempt to drum up support for venmoing israel another 100 billion dollars. I made the ASIP "money me now joke". It literally didn't dawn on me that mentioning something even jew adjacent and money in the same context is anti-semitism. I get it, I'm not mad reddit is a cesspool anyway,.

In that context though, it sure feels like israel definitely has us in a headlock where you can't wage any critisizim of israels government nor our foreign policy towards them without being anti-semitic. It's funny because my family is jewish, my stepmom and bother are jewish and my dad and I stuck in by biproduct, but we are all vehemently anti-israel and disgusted by at the blatant money grab about to happen.

Like hey how we talk about universal healthcare before we get up to a trillion dollars in foreign this year?

poor-broke.gif

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
The key is to make clear it's not about religion and hardly ever has been. It's power, colonialism, 70 years of western foreign policy obsessed with controlling or weakening middle east nations, alongside a constant stirring of racism and other divisions by most implicit news ecosystems. Religion is an authoritarian's favourite deflection, distraction and scapegoat, when not just their political tool for psychological subservience.

Mehdi was already on thin ice, so maybe not too surprising he got cancelled.

This is one of the most important revelations since the war began. Journalists at an Israeli-Palestinian media outlet have exposed claims that the Israeli military seeks to avoid civilian casualties - by interviewing those at the heart of the military intelligence establishment. I go through the findings here - they will shock you. You can read the article here: https://www.972mag.com/mass-assassina...

Last edited: