Conflict between Palestine and Israel escalates

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
If Murdoch applied exactly the same rules and assumptions to his UK titles as he does to his US titles, he'd have very limited success.
Trumpets and Gammons do indeed require subtle differences in address.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
If they wanted to minimize civilian deaths, they wouldn't be dropping bombs at all.
Strangely enough, minimizing civilian deaths is not the top priority of war.

Edit: If anyone misses the point here, war does not minimize deaths.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
I agree with what you said...but quite possibly not what you meant.
It's similar to "well, that is the nature of capitalism, a corporation exists to make money' after any outcry to some immoral fuckery or human tragedy caused by some satanic corporation.

Reactions: Silvanus

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I agree with what you said...but quite possibly not what you meant.
What I meant was to address what Seanchaidh was saying. Sean's comment was meant to imply that using bombs and having civilian casualties is evidence that Israel is actually just committing genocide against the whole population of Gaza, and that civilian casualties are the intended goal.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
What I meant was to address what Seanchaidh was saying. Sean's comment was meant to imply that using bombs and having civilian casualties is evidence that Israel is actually just committing genocide against the whole population of Gaza, and that civilian casualties are the intended goal.
Generally, the priority in a war is to achieve a limited, specific, identifiable and identified, series of strategic goals with minimal materiel cost, casualties, and collateral. The specific purpose in this is to erode an opponent's warfighting capacity and public morale -- AKA a population's will to fight -- as efficiently and effectively as possible, while hopefully preventing causes for future hostilities.

Israel's strategies and doctrines so vastly mismatch what few, vague, strategic goals they've identified, we ultimately have to conclude one of two things. Either Israel and its people have the least competent military and public officials in the entire history of western liberal democracy and are entirely happy with the mass lunacy being executed in their name, or what Israel's military and public officials claim to be their strategic goals actually aren't (more on this in a sec).

Or to put it another way, they're either stupid or they're lying.

While #1 may be true, this has been ongoing in its current form for twenty years, and two generations of Israeli military figures keep doing the same things over and again to the same results, and the same political parties keep getting elected with the only difference being the level of extremism they publicly exhibit -- and the level of public support for that extremism. This isn't an anomaly, this is the norm, and we can and should rule out incompetence or generational mass hysteria.

So, we have to look at #2 and deduce what Israel's strategic goals actually are, as opposed to what it claims. That is to say, what goals are best-fit for the strategies and doctrines in play. The only goals that reasonably explain how Israel conducts warfighting in Gaza and the West Bank, is to render the region uninhabitable by demolishing current infrastructure and construction, and forcefully depopulate the region through death or displacement, in order to redevelop and repopulate with Israeli settlers. And in this, Israel's military and public officials have proven themselves extraordinarily efficient.

Or to put it another way, they're clearly not stupid, so they must be lying.

But really, the entire thought exercise is purely academic. Israeli public officials and military leaders are already expressly on record, multiple times and publicly having repeated their statements to preclude miscommunication or misconstruction, as stating genocide is their intent. And as if that isn't enough, demolish, depopulate, and resettle has been the MO for seventy years as evidence for that intent.

Or to put it another way, they're not even lying.

Reactions: Kwak

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
It's not merely 'dropping bombs and having civilian casualties', though, is it? All major conflicts have those.

It's taking actions that have enormous civilian cost and very little/no demonstrated military benefit. Firebombing hospitals, cutting off clean water supplies for the civilian population. Things like that.

The actions of the IDF are not consistent with any proportionate response targeted specifically at Hamas. Their actions are much more consistent with an effort to effectively destroy society and infrastructure to the point where living there becomes unbearable. And the motive there is clear too: it makes expansion into the area easier, and pacifies the right-wing calls for massive retribution from the people who make up Netanyahu's diminishing domestic support base.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America

Zionist propagandist thinks wearing hijab is a good enough reason to kill someone, apparently.

Last edited:
Reactions: crimson5pheonix

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Generally, the priority in a war is to achieve a limited, specific, identifiable and identified, series of strategic goals with minimal materiel cost, casualties, and collateral.
Could you provide an example of a war that fits these criteria?
It's taking actions that have enormous civilian cost and very little/no demonstrated military benefit. Firebombing hospitals, cutting off clean water supplies for the civilian population. Things like that.
Things like Seanchaidh's Twitter feed. Forgive me for giving literally no credence to that.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

It's funny there was a movie about the holocaust, I don't remember the name of it where a woman is transported back to the holocaust and looks exactly like her aunt's sister, and they were in Poland. The nazis killed them when they were sick as they couldn't work.

One thing that caught my attention was that in my class they mentioned that after the war with Germany, they would all get to live in America. Which is great right? WRONG. Some of them lived in America, but America got many of the Jewish survivors of the holocaust to go to British Palestine.

Nevermind it was this:

My point is that American propaganda is very subtle, but it's there.

Funny prompt:

1702683148305.png

Last edited:

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Things like Seanchaidh's Twitter feed. Forgive me for giving literally no credence to that.
The actions I mentioned-- and numerous other war crimes-- are attested by independent observers and journalists, with footage and survivor testimony, and are not seriously disputed.