Conflict between Palestine and Israel escalates

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Not really. Drones available to the general public are - relatively speaking - very cheap and from a military use case perspective entirely disposable and can be controlled with an off the shelf smartphone app. The more expensive ones can lift a surprising amount so hooking a solid state device with a speaker up to them and flying them and landing - presumably abandoning - them to lure an enemy into a pre-arranged killzone isn’t an implausible technique to my mind.

Whether they actually do it is another story but on paper the idea isn’t absurd.
That answered actually none of the questions I posed.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
You would be amazed, AMAZED, at how little shit I give about a tweet.
What about the fact the speaker mentioned, that approximately 30 laws specifically identify Israeli Arabs as subject to separate (worse) legal treatment?

((There's also the fact that Israel controls much of public life in Gaza and the West Bank, including access to utilities, so excluding Palestinians from your consideration here is utterly arbitrary))

Reactions: Satinavian

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
What about the fact the speaker mentioned, that approximately 30 laws specifically identify Israeli Arabs as subject to separate (worse) legal treatment?

((There's also the fact that Israel controls much of public life in Gaza and the West Bank, including access to utilities, so excluding Palestinians from your consideration here is utterly arbitrary))
Then link it from a news site. The whole reason I got roped into this stupid thread was because I commented on how this thread is just tweets and its really easy to lie with a camera.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Then link it from a news site. The whole reason I got roped into this stupid thread was because I commented on how this thread is just tweets and its really easy to lie with a camera.
All of the news sites that report on atrocities done to the palestinians are al jazeera or underground blogs. Western sources will report the bare minimum if it's a big enough incident only.
So that limits the 'legitimate' reports that are part of the collective conversation around this.
Like, no western media is reporting this, but obviously it is something that should be widely known and taken into account in the decisions the western world is making in support of israel.

ETA... this news aggregator site for at least an attempt at impartiality.

(also we shouldn't really be "impartial" to human suffering and abuses of power, we should be incredibly biased against it, it really sucks that this search for "balance" is distracting us from condemning evil.)

Last edited:

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom

Tweets can be irritating or insubstantial. Denying well-documented abuses without being willing to do your own (pretty easy) research can be worse.

Last edited:

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

I also like the sudden focus on the veracity of sources and demanding sources that have so far repeated lies about
-mass rapes
-beheaded babies
-torture
-killing pregnant women
and now conclusively (not that we didn't know before)
-UNRWA

Some people are still demanding that all their sources come from proven liars. But hey, tweets have the capacity to be wrong too, therefore ignore all tweets and only listen to people we know for a fact are lying.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
people we know for a fact are lying.
Based on tweets.

You are not all somehow the first people in all of history to attain clear and obvious truth from war journalism. You are going to look silly in hindsight for saying you knew anything for a fact in italics.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Based on tweets.

You are not all somehow the first people in all of history to attain clear and obvious truth from war journalism. You are going to look silly in hindsight for saying you knew anything for a fact in italics.
You can find where these stories have been retracted, after the damage was already done. So no, I'm not going to look silly. You've just proven yourself uninformed and not worth listening to.

Reactions: soreeyes

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
You can find where these stories have been retracted, after the damage was already done. So no, I'm not going to look silly. You've just proven yourself uninformed and not worth listening to.
Schrödinger's MSM: They just push their own opinions, spin stories to make everyone look bad, and ignore damning stories for the powers that be when they're not just outright lying while also being the only source of news that is reliable and trustworthy because you can't trust your own eyes and ears when people on the ground film literal war crimes happening

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
people on the ground film literal war crimes happening
Did you know that a filmed event can be fictional?
You just made up your mind about a situation based on a tweet of a screenshot of Al Jazeera referencing a report that says none of what the tweet says before "hasn't given evidence". The "0.04% of staff" were named by Israel and fired by the UNRWA (if they weren't already dead), so those claims are quite validated and not actually in this report. The report says nothing about coerced confessions by torture. The lack of evidence is for the claim that a much larger percent have ties to Hamas, but the report you didn't read would also tell you that hundreds of employees are being investigated internally by the UNRWA: "UNRWA has reviewed all external allegations of breaches of neutrality and opened investigations where it has found prima facie evidence of misconduct, more than half of the allegations brought up."

So sure, a dozen members participated in October 7th, and hundreds more are violating UNRWA's rules of conduct, but that evidence came from UNRWA themselves, not Israel, and somehow that's the important takeaway. Like, good on UNRWA, way to receive criticism and take accountability. Bravo. Hard to criticize that. And also, it's not like anyone should be surprised if lots of UNRWA members do have connections to Hamas, as they are an aid organization focused on that region that equals more than 1 percent of the entire population of the Gaza Strip, and Hamas has been the government there. It's just a shame nobody is going to read that report when a dishonest tweet pretending to have news credentials tells you exactly what you want to hear.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
You just made up your mind about a situation based on a tweet of a screenshot of Al Jazeera referencing a report that says none of what the tweet says before "hasn't given evidence". The "0.04% of staff" were named by Israel and fired by the UNRWA (if they weren't already dead), so those claims are quite validated and not actually in this report.
That's not a validation, that's an example of Palestinians having to appease Israel to try and keep from being genocided (it didn't work, as it turns out, but I get why they would).

The report says nothing about coerced confessions by torture. The lack of evidence is for the claim that a much larger percent have ties to Hamas, but the report you didn't read would also tell you that hundreds of employees are being investigated internally by the UNRWA: "UNRWA has reviewed all external allegations of breaches of neutrality and opened investigations where it has found prima facie evidence of misconduct, more than half of the allegations brought up."

So sure, a dozen members participated in October 7th, and hundreds more are violating UNRWA's rules of conduct, but that evidence came from UNRWA themselves, not Israel, and somehow that's the important takeaway. Like, good on UNRWA, way to receive criticism and take accountability. Bravo. Hard to criticize that. And also, it's not like anyone should be surprised if lots of UNRWA members do have connections to Hamas, as they are an aid organization focused on that region that equals more than 1 percent of the entire population of the Gaza Strip, and Hamas has been the government there. It's just a shame nobody is going to read that report when a dishonest tweet pretending to have news credentials tells you exactly what you want to hear.
...So Israel gave an accusation of the UNRWA being filled with terrorists, provided no evidence of this, and the US and other countries cut off their funding based on these unsubstantiated claims. So the tweet is absolutely correct and you aren't disputing it? Way to self own. And you act like this tweet is the first one I've paid attention to regarding the entire situation, instead of months of context before now (like when the allegations of Israel beating false confessions out of captured aid workers came up). Maybe you shouldn't just jump into a conversation you haven't paid attention to and don't know anything about?