Console Vs. P.C. (no, not like that...)

4RT1LL3RY

Oct 31, 2008
setphaserstostun said:
The Bandit said:
SikOseph said:
Cargin said:
SikOseph said:
The PC route isn't a quick fix. It's a choice that will definitely rvolutionise the way you play FPS.
if u are referring to adapting to a mouse and keyboard interface, i was planning to buy an xbox controler for pc, cos i suck at mouse and keyboard.
Whatever you do, don't do it! You'll learn the mouse and keyboard in about 10 hours and after that you'll wonder how you managed with a controller. If you are bent on doing that though, I wouldn't bother with the PC - you'll just be constantly destroyed. Also, that isn't the only thing I meant, there's a richness to PC fps that you just can't replicate with consoles - dedicated servers, actual clan matches, mods, a proper community. It's a different world.
I've been trying to use a mouse and keyboard since I was in seventh grade. I still prefer a controller. The objective opinion "mouse+keyboard is better" is... Well, not objective.
The only thing that makes a keyboard better, and I say this as a multiplatform gamer is that there are MORE BUTTONS TO USE :D this makes those of us with a lack of patience and foresight to just click a button to use the right skill instead of cycle through shit. Dual sticks is much better for movement usually, however
I definitely agree that a joystick is better for movement in some games. Don't ever try to use a joy stick in quake or Unreal Tournament for movement or aiming. Strafe jumping is retarded with a joystick, dodge jumps are also pretty annoying. For some games its great, thats why there are "Gamepads" with joysticks for PC, its half a keyboard with a joystick where your thumb is at. Best of both words.

Ithae

Jan 14, 2010
I suggest PC, just as many others have. Just make sure you can run it.

setphaserstostun

Jan 14, 2010
4RT1LL3RY said:
setphaserstostun said:
The Bandit said:
SikOseph said:
Cargin said:
SikOseph said:
The PC route isn't a quick fix. It's a choice that will definitely rvolutionise the way you play FPS.
if u are referring to adapting to a mouse and keyboard interface, i was planning to buy an xbox controler for pc, cos i suck at mouse and keyboard.
Whatever you do, don't do it! You'll learn the mouse and keyboard in about 10 hours and after that you'll wonder how you managed with a controller. If you are bent on doing that though, I wouldn't bother with the PC - you'll just be constantly destroyed. Also, that isn't the only thing I meant, there's a richness to PC fps that you just can't replicate with consoles - dedicated servers, actual clan matches, mods, a proper community. It's a different world.
I've been trying to use a mouse and keyboard since I was in seventh grade. I still prefer a controller. The objective opinion "mouse+keyboard is better" is... Well, not objective.
The only thing that makes a keyboard better, and I say this as a multiplatform gamer is that there are MORE BUTTONS TO USE :D this makes those of us with a lack of patience and foresight to just click a button to use the right skill instead of cycle through shit. Dual sticks is much better for movement usually, however
I definitely agree that a joystick is better for movement in some games. Don't ever try to use a joy stick in quake or Unreal Tournament for movement or aiming. Strafe jumping is retarded with a joystick, dodge jumps are also pretty annoying. For some games its great, thats why there are "Gamepads" with joysticks for PC, its half a keyboard with a joystick where your thumb is at. Best of both words.
You sir, win

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
VioletZer0 said:
Console: Hello, I am a Console.

PC: And I am a PC.

Console: You know what is really nice about consoles? We're more stable. Everything that is written for us we can run.

PC: Hah! I can do more stuff than you could ever do in your lifetime. Your abilities are fixed while I can constantly be upgraded.

Console: True, but as a result, you are a little unstable.

PC: *twitches* Yes, I will own up to that. But to be fair, consoles recently are adapting PC like features. So you are seeing the downsides of that, are you not?*twitches*

Console: *twitches* Unfortunately so.

PC: Whatever the case, if you are willing to do some research and are comfortable with working on my inner components, get a PC.

Console: If you are a busy person, don't feel comfortable with working on electronics or just can't be arsed to research, I am your best option.
Amen to this. It's the most honest explanation between the two choices.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
PC all the way. I heard some stuff about the XboxLive Community.

The Extremist

Sep 14, 2007
SikOseph said:
Also, that isn't the only thing I meant, there's a richness to PC fps that you just can't replicate with consoles - dedicated servers, actual clan matches, mods, a proper community. It's a different world.
Well, with respect to MW2 this is all moot because Infinity Ward has ruled that this part of the PC FPS gaming experience isn't important.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
VioletZer0 said:
Sebenko said:

Console: You know what is really nice about consoles? We're more stab- RROD

PC: Sure, now go play with the other- *POWER SUPPLY FAILURE*
Fixed again :p
Oh come on, you're saying power supplies fail as much as Xboxes get the RROD?

Are you running Quad SLI GTX295s on a 200w PSU or something?

geon106

Jul 15, 2009
atomicmrpelly said:
What boils my goat is the fact that in a lot of current gen. console releases online multiplayer replaces local multiplayer. That just makes no sense to me! That's where consoles began, playing with mates!!
Agreed! And PC seems to be losing LAN and Co-op, and I don't mean console co-op where you do skirmishes together, but the whole campaign, like the original Quake, frickin good times doing easy to nightmare from episode 1 to the end with me dad

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
PC dominates when it comes to online. It's free, and just the best service.

Multiple different voice chat programs to choose from, in game interfaces (steam and xfire), larger game maps which mean larger teams and more to explore.

Jeez after this comment and my last thread I must sound like such a PC fanboy. x_x

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Sebenko said:
VioletZer0 said:

Console: You know what is really nice about consoles? We're more stable. Everything that is written for us we can run.

PC: Hah! I can do more stuff than you could ever do in your lifetime. Your abilities are fixed while I can constantly be upgraded.

PC: *twitches* Yes, I will own up to that. But to be fair, consoles recently are adapting PC like features. So you are seeing the downsides of that, are you not?*twitches*

PC: Whatever the case, if you are willing to do some research and are comfortable with working on my inner components, get a PC.

Console: If you are a busy person, don't feel comfortable with working on electronics or just can't be arsed to research, I am your best option.

PC: Sure, now go play with the other kiddies.

FIXED
No, it really isn't. That's rather... well, lets go with not nice, i like this place.

Anyway, it all depends on what you're comfortable with, the PC community /can/ be as bad as xbox live, but it can also be miles better. That said, want simplicity? Go Console.

wandatheavenger

Oct 13, 2009
While I refuse to play console shooters anymore (I had a bad experience that amounted to me getting my ass kicked in Halo by a guy who got his hand stuck in a combine and thus had to operate the joystick with his mouth) you should be warned that unless you possess the skills to debug the occasional issues present on PC, it can be a very frustrating experience. I recall the entire duration that I had a specific video card not being able to make it properly compatible with Counterstrike, a game I still love.

I would suggest that you make sure that you or a close friend have the means to deal with problems should they arise, as small glitches can completely ruin your experience. On a good note, though, the issue did help to get me properly acquainted with Morrowind!

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
dogstile said:
Sebenko said:
VioletZer0 said:

FIXED
No, it really isn't. That's rather... well, lets go with not nice, i like this place.

Anyway, it all depends on what you're comfortable with, the PC community /can/ be as bad as xbox live, but it can also be miles better. That said, want simplicity? Go Console.
But I hate simplicity. I love lists of settings and things to fuck around with. Want higher quality textures? turn the shadows down and put textures up. Don't like the way the game is balanced? crack it open and kick some sense into the settings.

And I'll be damned if I give that up anytime soon.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
If your PC can handle it, and you have a friend who also has a PC, do it. What my friends have is always the biggest point for me when picking a game that has multiplayer.

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
Cargin said:
ThrobbingEgo said:
Do NOT use a 360 gamepad on a multiplayer PC FPS. You will not be able to turn or react nearly fast enough.
how can that be tho, because my biggest problem with mouse and keyboard is that im NOT able to turn or react quick enough?!?
Yes if you try to play with a 360 controller you will hate PC really really quick. The key to turning quick with a mouse is quick movements with your mouse (almost jerks) in order to turn very quickly. After you get turned then you can use nice slow and easy movements to line up your shot. But yes if u try to play on pc with a 360 controller you will get rocked.

Contun

Mar 28, 2009
VioletZer0 said:
Sebenko said:

PC: Sure, now go play with the other- *POWER SUPPLY FAILURE*-.....only kidding, I'm the epitome of awesome.
Fixed again :p
...and again.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
PC. If not for the graphics and controls and mods, do it for the community. The Xbox Live community is probably one of the worst communities out there, especially when it comes to games like Modern Warfare 2.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Sebenko said:
dogstile said:
Sebenko said:
VioletZer0 said:

FIXED

But I hate simplicity. I love lists of settings and things to fuck around with. Want higher quality textures? turn the shadows down and put textures up. Don't like the way the game is balanced? crack it open and kick some sense into the settings.

And I'll be damned if I give that up anytime soon.
Well you keep your gaming PC, but that's still no reason to needlessly stab at the thing every time its mentioned, especially if its mentioned in such a reasonable way as that.

Samuel Adams

Apr 16, 2009
I have MW2 on Xbox but I play more games on PC. I personally would recommend PC but Xbox is nice too, because a lot of my friends have live. I would say PC first, then save money and get an Xbox.

EDIT:
ProfessorLayton said:
PC. If not for the graphics and controls and mods, do it for the community. The Xbox Live community is probably one of the worst communities out there, especially when it comes to games like Modern Warfare 2.
And this.