Copyright Lobbyist "Disgusted" By Canadian Politicians

Florion

Dec 7, 2008
HobbesMkii said:
Frankly, good on the NDP, telling a lobbyist group to go shove it. I also like that a politician said "Sorry dude, it ain't happening." That's so wicked. I wish American politicians had the gumption to even attempt to use slang in press releases. Also, they're protecting consumer rights, as opposed to corporate rights, for once. God, this stupid bi-party system we run in the US, we don't get any arguments in favor of the common man.
I think the NDP has the best zingers of all the Canadian political parties (I was watching the pre-election debate last year, and Jack Layton was asking Stephen Harper "Where is your platform? Under your sweater?" referring to the Conservative ad campaign where Harper tries to make himself approachable by wearing non-threatening clothing [okay, I say "tries" but he did win a minority]), but that doesn't make them more competent... I remember my parents complaining that the one time they won a provincial government, they practically destroyed the economy. And while I appreciate that they stand up for the people who deserve it, I really don't appreciate that they divide the liberal vote.

Avernus

Jun 10, 2009
Florian, they still have Manitoba (which province are you referring to?), and they've been messing things up nicely here for the last decade. My respect for this MP does go up a notch though, and for the NDP in general for sticking to their guns.

...yup, copyright issues are definately of interest to me. Good reporting.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
KSarty said:
Amnestic said:
Alan Willaert of the American Federation of Musicians
What's this guy doing talking about Canadian politics anyway?
The American Federation of Musicians includes the United States and Canada. Regardless, it is a union so it is absolutely worthless.
Well that makes more sense, but it's a bit misleading as generally when people say 'American' they mean 'from the US.' While it's not technically true as 'American' could be people from Brazil or Peru, it's what's fallen into most common usage. Nice to have clarification though. Ta.

Either way, it looks like the guy's all bluster and these NDP guys seem to have no intention of listening to him so...yes, absolutely worthless indeed! ;D

Florion

Dec 7, 2008
Avernus said:
Florian, they still have Manitoba (which province are you referring to?), and they've been messing things up nicely here for the last decade. My respect for this MP does go up a notch though, and for the NDP in general for sticking to their guns.

...yup, copyright issues are definately of interest to me. Good reporting.
Oh, really? Shows what I know outside of my Ontario bubble. xP

Xojins

Jan 7, 2008
The American Federation of Musicians needs to quit their bitching. They have no business demanding any sort of apology; that'd be like Republicans demanding an apology from Democrats for campaigning/advertising for Barack Obama.

Also, it's a Canadian political group. The AFM should stop trying to force their legislation on other countries and mind their own god damn business.

/rant

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
I was somehow confused, could someone give me a quick summary or something, im not really sure whats going on in this article, of couse it is like 12:01 am, so im tired.

hansari

May 31, 2009
HobbesMkii said:
I think it would be hard to say this had nothing to do with videogames, if you understand that the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act was the basis for the MPAA and the RIAA's attacks on the Pirate Bay....
Anton P. Nym said:
Children, children, children. You just can't absorb the news... it's about changing copyright law to, like, oh, say, impose strict DRM on games and make it harder to release freeware? See the connection now?...
So was this suppose to be like random word association? Where I hear "C-61" and think "oh, DRM's!"

Because (I will say it again) my confusion stems from how this article relates to the video game industry. The article never states explicitly how C-61 could affect Canadian developers.

So excuse me for not having the vast insight that you two have. I live in the States, so I am unfamiliar with this bill. (Oh, if only its relevance had been explained. I could be basking in this pool of knowledge with you!)

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
hansari said:
HobbesMkii said:
I think it would be hard to say this had nothing to do with videogames, if you understand that the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act was the basis for the MPAA and the RIAA's attacks on the Pirate Bay....
Anton P. Nym said:
Children, children, children. You just can't absorb the news... it's about changing copyright law to, like, oh, say, impose strict DRM on games and make it harder to release freeware? See the connection now?...
So was this suppose to be like random word association? Where I hear "C-61" and think "oh, DRM's!"

Because (I will say it again) my confusion stems from how this article relates to the video game industry. The article never states explicitly how C-61 could affect Canadian developers.

So excuse me for not having the vast insight that you two have. I live in the States, so I am unfamiliar with this bill. (Oh, if only its relevance had been explained. I could be basking in this pool of knowledge with you!)
The article says "DMCA-style copyright..." Keying in 'DMCA' to my handy firefox wikipedia searchbar has this within the first paragraph: "[DMCA] criminalizes production and dissemination of technology, devices, or services intended to circumvent measures (commonly known as Digital Rights Management or DRM)"

DMCA style copyright laws=DRM. Takes less than 20 seconds if you bothered looking for it. I'm British too, so no country advantage there. In fact, you should probably know more than me as the DMCA is an American law. You don't read C-61 and think DRM, you read "C-61 which...will impose DMCA-style copyright restrictions on Canadian citizens." and think DRM.

NubletInc

Feb 18, 2009
Good for them If Im not mistaken alot of canadians are pretty pissed about our government or why else would we need it changed every few years.

Avernus

Jun 10, 2009
Hansari, I think the title summed it up well with 'Copyright Lobbyist...'. Copyright law can have an effect on all mediums, our pastime just happens to be among them.

No worries bud, easy enough to miss these things; it's one of those outlying interests a lot of people around The Escapist like to pay attention to.

Notsomuch

Apr 22, 2009
I love the NDP. To bad they are always forced to play third wheel or end up being the odd man out.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Wait... so a member of some American music association wants an apology because this Canadian group opposes tyrannical copyright laws passing through their government?

Last time I checked, we hadn't annexed you guys or anything... so I'm pretty sure he has no say in the matter whatsoever.

Link Kadeshi

Oct 17, 2008
"In light of the fact that the NDP at its convention in Halifax this month dealt with a resolution identified as 6-21-09 Expanding Party Policy on 'Supporting Canadian Creativity', and showed clear support for 'ensuring appropriate copyright protection so that creators are fairly compensated for their intellectual property', I am shocked that both Chow and Charlie Angus are allowed to openly depart from party policy and directive, obviously just to shamelessly buy votes among young people and academics," he continued. "We intend on taking the NDP to task over this, and will accept nothing less than a retraction of Ms Chow's statements and an apology."
I love this. They shamelessly are trying to get votes from young people, who will eventually take over the reins. Also, they are horrible for trying to get acedemic votes... The future of the country, and the smart people of the country, dirty scums!

rated pg

Aug 21, 2008
The NDP is a very left leaning minority party which has never enjoyed more than maybe 20% support at a federal level. Essentially making them the trolls of the Canadian political scene (besides the separatists).