Corvid-19 and its impact (name edit)

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
tstorm823 said:
It's well within the range of possibilities that the mortality rate is equivalent to the flu, we still don't know how many people have been exposed without ever being tested or getting sick.
And it's also "within the range of possibilities" that it's higher than expected, for the same reason. There's no actual evidence for those positions, though-- the evidence currently points towards what the experts have said. D'you still believe it's reasonable and responsible for a public figure to publicly contradict the expert opinion and claim it's lower?

It was never true that it should be treated the same...
I know. So what was this about, then?

tstorm823 said:
[on Trump's advice] Telling everyone that it's borderline harmless is actually telling people to treat it like the flu.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
The reporting of the German finance Minister's suicide linking it to his worries of the economic fallout from this virus, am uncertain if this is irresponsible reporting or not, as it's hardly ever just a single factor contributing to any one person's attempt. Similar to the young girl's suicide here stated to be due to fears of self-isolation, whereas there could be other factors such as turbulent abusive environment at home that makes the thought of it unbearable in a particularly panicked state of mind.

Regardless, pride and patriotism will kill us all. These fucks in power cannot die soon enough.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Lil devils x said:
US failing to provide proper PPE to police and enforce lockdowns mean Police department's front lines fall:

About 700 New Jersey Police Officers Tested Positive for Coronavirus, State Police Head Says
https://time.com/5812113/new-jersey-police-coronavirus/

More than 4,000 New York City cops on sick report amid COVID-19 pandemic
https://www.amny.com/brooklyn/more-than-4000-new-york-city-cops-on-sick-report-amid-covid-19-pandemic/

Nearly A Fifth Of Detroit Police Force In Quarantine For COVID-19 Exposure
https://wdet.org/posts/2020/03/26/89413-nearly-a-fifth-of-detroit-police-force-in-quarantine-for-covid-19-exposure/

10 more Chicago police officers test positive for COVID-19
https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/10-more-chicago-police-officers-test-positive-for-covid-19

Dallas County announces 21 new coronavirus cases; 2nd Dallas police officer tests positive
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/public-health/2020/03/21/second-dallas-police-officer-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/

2 Fort Worth PD officers test positive for COVID-19
https://www.fox4news.com/news/2-fort-worth-pd-officers-test-positive-for-covid-19

New Orleans first responders struggle as personnel exposed to COVID-19, some test positive
https://www.fox8live.com/2020/03/24/new-orleans-police-fire-departments-struggle-personnel-tests-positive-covid-/

South Florida police departments feeling effects of COVID-19 as officers catch virus
https://wsvn.com/news/local/miami-dade/south-florida-police-departments-feeling-effects-of-covid-19-as-officers-catch-virus/

A 3rd NYPD member dies of coronavirus after hundreds of officers test positive
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/28/us/nypd-coronavirus-deaths/index.html

An NYPD Detective And Administrative Assistant Have Died Of The Coronavirus
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/olivianiland/nypd-detective-administrative-assistant-coronavirus-victim

Detroit police captain dies from COVID-19 complications
https://www.abc12.com/content/news/Detroit-police-captain-dies-from-COVID-19-complications-569091771.html

Everyone in the US really needs to contact their elected officials and tell them to get N95 masks and hazmat to our first responders immediately, not in 100 days, we need this on the streets now. People need to stop making cloth masks at home, unless of course they are only using layers of polypropylene and make them so they can form a complete seal on the face of different sized and shaped individuals. We really need to have companies making more of these, or hazmat is even better and delivering them daily, if not hourly at this point.

It is pretty sad though that China can put their police officers in hazmat suits but the US behaves as though that is some how impossible. Right now, we really need anyone who interacts with the public using adequate PPE. Our government needs to ensure they have it.
Hey. I took a few days off here. Did we talk about Trump selling a bunch of PPE a month ago? Because I couldn't conceive of better timing. And how this lead to these death listed

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Lil devils x said:
I am not misunderstanding a damn thing here.
Then you are lying to yourself and others. If you can't admit that people are going to get sick and the only feasible goal is to keep as many as we can from dying, then you aren't accepting reality.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
tstorm823 said:
If you can't admit that people are going to get sick and the only feasible goal is to keep as many as we can from dying, then you aren't accepting reality.
Oh, put some effort into your strawmans.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Thaluikhain said:
Oh, put some effort into your strawmans.
Effort doesn't make the truth truer or falsehoods less false. Concise communication is nearly always the better option.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
tstorm823 said:
It's well within the range of possibilities that the mortality rate is equivalent to the flu, we still don't know how many people have been exposed without ever being tested or getting sick.
It is looking extremely unlikely that it's around 'flu levels.

If we examine countries like South Korea and Germany which have tested extremely aggressively and not had their health sytems overwhelmed, we get the best picture in terms of including as many low or zero symptom cases as possible whilst not having excess deaths from people unable to receive medical care. South Korea has successfully restricted its infection cases to under 100 a day. They are currently at ~10,000 infected and 150 dead (~1.5%). However, of that 10,000 only 6000 cases are resolved: 150 of 6000 is 2.5%. Germany is at ~60,000 infected with over 500 deaths, a touch under 1%. However, again to look at resolved cases, it's over 500 deaths out of 9000: that's over 5%. So a figure of 1%, ten times higher than 'flu, seems credible.

For those with severe symptoms requiring hospitalisation, if they don't receive sufficient care we might expect about 2-4 times as many deaths. That gives us some idea of how much worse it can get for an overwhelmed health service - of course some people will die of other conditions that don't receive proper care because the service is degraded whilst coping with Coronavirus.

If we take the USA, pop 330 million, with 5% infected requiring critical care, the big question is what capacity its health service has. The USA is well stocked in terms of ICU beds per head population: about 34 ICU beds per 100,000 people although counting out ones already occupied by normal use, about 7-10 per 100,000 (so 0.01% of the population). That's nothing like enough to cope without some drastic "flattening the curve", which is why creating a ton of extra capacity at short order is going on.

Herd immunity is red herring: that would need about 60% infected (200 million for the USA). Herd immunity without an overwhelmed health service is not going to happen within the timeframe before a vaccine is likely.

What also needs to be considered is that multiple exposures seem to greatly magnify risks of more serious symptoms. Health workers therefore particularly need to receive PPE because they are at very high risk of repeated exposure, and if they don't get good protection the toll on them will become particularly heavy.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
It's worth asking whether the problem is more the disease or that our societies are based on bullshit.

[tweet t="https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1244601014919053313"]

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
tstorm823 said:
Lil devils x said:
I am not misunderstanding a damn thing here.
Then you are lying to yourself and others. If you can't admit that people are going to get sick and the only feasible goal is to keep as many as we can from dying, then you aren't accepting reality.
Excuse me? Exactly what have I stated that was not accurate?

I think I have been quite clear that people are going to get sick, that is exactly the point I am stressing here, we are going to have many more sick than should have been all at once and not enough people to handle the situation because we are not properly supplying our first responders with the PPE they need to be able to continue to do their jobs and instead of them being able to save lives, they will be sick as well as spreading COVID-19 to others at a much higher rate than our system can handle.

Me telling you that our system cannot handle the sheer numbers of people who will become infected all at once is being pretty clear that people will in fact become sick. Our objective is to slow it as much as China did so that we can start reducing the numbers immediately or we will lose many that could have been saved otherwise. We keep people from dying in a few weeks by reducing the number of people being exposed RIGHT NOW. The worst isn't here yet and we have doctors on the front lines without access to PPE, hospitals already running out of oxygen, ventilators and basic equipment to care for patients. We cannot prevent people from dying if we do not provide those trying to save them with enough single use PPE to keep themselves and everyone they come into contact with from contracting it from their repeat exposures.

Instead of actually addressing what I said, you choose to falsely claim that I don't expect people to get sick. Of course I expect people to get sick. Far too many are going to get sick all at once because our Government has had their heads up their arses. How can I be more clear than that? We are going to have many more deaths that could have been prevented if our government had actually been prepared and responded responsibly. Why was Trump calling it a hoax and claiming we had it under control while Nations like Germany were stocking up and preparing for what was about to happen? Why did Trump sell our N95 masks when we did not have enough to even equip our first responders? Why is he now making up nonsense about first responders claiming they are stealing the masks when the reality is they did not have enough in the first place. Why is trump not properly utilizing our FEMA recourses? Does Trump even understand what SINGLE USE PPE even means and why it is SINGLE USE in the first place? He is probably one of the worst people on the planet to have making decisions that affect the lives of everyone in the country right now.

I am not the one having issues admitting the problem right now, if you think for a second that Trump has been doing what we needed to have done then you really should do some self reflection about now.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Seanchaidh said:
It's worth asking whether the problem is more the disease or that our societies are based on bullshit.

It is both. However, COVID-19 could be handled much better and we would not be facing the sheer numbers of fatalities we will be facing if our government actually responded appropriately and stop being incompetent and pretending they cannot do anything about while complaining people are " being mean" by telling them the truth about how poorly they are performing in their ability to do their job.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Seanchaidh said:

That's $100. Plus labour. Plus other associated costs like paying for a building to house the workers and machinery to make it, plus administrative / management costs for the personnel and process, plus no worries about needing spare capitale next year nobody needs ventilators but things and workers still need upkeep (or even just redundancy pay), and no guarantees on quality and length of life, and no need for the inventors to make a living from their creation. (Plus of course profit for manufacturer and retailer). And so on.

Yes, lots of things in this world are much more expensive than the cost of the materials required to make them. That doesn't mean there aren't always good reasons why.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Virginia just issued it's Stay at Home ORDER, since after suggesting it our jackassey selves decided to crowd on beaches and bars anyway.

And boy the conservatives in this state are losing their SHIT.

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
Smithnikov said:
Virginia just issued it's Stay at Home ORDER, since after suggesting it our jackassey selves decided to crowd on beaches and bars anyway.

I keep hearing police state this, police state that. First amendment this and that on Facebook. Some of it from people I know, and some of those with interesting world views (claiming the pandemic is a hoax for example).

While I wonder how long it will take until we get to the point of V for Vendetta is no longer fiction, I can understand the more stringent levels in many areas. If it wasn't because of the covidiots we would probably be out in the next three or four weeks. As is it might be fourth of July weekend before we can be closer than 6 feet.

In times of emergency, sometimes things are denied that are promised to us, such as was the case durring World War 2. While there is still plenty of incidents like Mccarthyism that demands we rise up, this is not one of those cases I don't think.

Also, saw an article that Arizona has ended its school year due to this.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Agema said:
That's $100. Plus labour. Plus other associated costs like paying for a building to house the workers and machinery to make it, plus administrative / management costs for the personnel and process, plus no worries about needing spare capitale next year nobody needs ventilators but things and workers still need upkeep (or even just redundancy pay), and no guarantees on quality and length of life, and no need for the inventors to make a living from their creation. (Plus of course profit for manufacturer and retailer). And so on.

Yes, lots of things in this world are much more expensive than the cost of the materials required to make them. That doesn't mean there aren't always good reasons why.
All valid points, but how much of the gap between 100 and 30,000 per unit is really going to be covered by all that?

The sheer numbers might be misleading there. But the core points stand-- that medical equipment is sold at exhorbitantly higher prices than necessary; that acute shortages are exacerbated by this; and that sheer profiteering accounts for a significant chunk of that difference.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
saint of m said:
Smithnikov said:

I keep hearing police state this, police state that. First amendment this and that on Facebook. Some of it from people I know, and some of those with interesting world views (claiming the pandemic is a hoax for example).

While I wonder how long it will take until we get to the point of V for Vendetta is no longer fiction, I can understand the more stringent levels in many areas. If it wasn't because of the covidiots we would probably be out in the next three or four weeks. As is it might be fourth of July weekend before we can be closer than 6 feet.

In times of emergency, sometimes things are denied that are promised to us, such as was the case durring World War 2. While there is still plenty of incidents like Mccarthyism that demands we rise up, this is not one of those cases I don't think.

Also, saw an article that Arizona has ended its school year due to this.
Just a reply to this silliness of it being a hoax

Unfortunately, Fake News is spreading through Fox at the same rate that as Corona virus is through the population. I wish the pundits there would just stop with their nonsense and start listening to their own news desk. You don?t even have to go to the opposition. You just have to give up your thirst for being right

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Agema said:
So a figure of 1%, ten times higher than 'flu, seems credible.
It does, based on positive cases.

But until proven otherwise, I'm more than willing to hold onto the hope implied by the Diamond Princess. 3700 or so people were living together on a cruise ship for an extended period of time, with a highly contagious virus that has no symptoms right away, and 80% or so never tested positive. These aren't people who were positive but had no symptoms, but people who never tested positive at all. Which means they either managed to dodge a super contagious virus that spreads by breathing from people with no symptoms while surrounded by them in a confined space OR a lot of people were exposed to the virus without ever being testably infected. If you extrapolate that out, assume the overwhelming majority of people on the Diamond Princess were meaningfully exposed to the virus, one might suggest only 1/5 of people who touch this coronavirus will test positive for covid-19. Potentially even less, as the demographics of a cruise ship skew older, and it's young people mostly dodging this. At that point, it's reasonable to suggest the mortality rate is 1/5th of what you find even with comprehensive testing, or even less. That puts the number below 0.2%, which is quite a bit closer.

The models that have been applied to the novel coronavirus have been based on the idea that nobody is immune. Based on that, they figured an R0 of 3ish (though now they're saying closer to 2), which is where you get the early models saying unmitigated growth would leads to 2/3 of the world getting sick. But if 80% of people are effectively buffer to begin with, that's all wrong. Instead, the R0 is off by a factor of 5, so between 10 and 15, and I'm an optimist who likes easy math, so I pick 10. So at 90% immunity, the virus is effectively quashed. But 80% are already immune, so that's half of the remaining people that will be infected. And 1% of those might die. Going from the perspective of America, just because I know those numbers vaguely off the top of my head, 1% of 10% of like 300 million is 300,000 deaths. Which given my assumptions is what you would expect in a scenario with no mitigation whatsoever. Now, with a lot of mitigation done, they're talking about estimates between 100k and 200k deaths. Which is a far, far cry from the millions forecasted early on. I might suggest the experts are also not assuming everyone is susceptible to put out numbers like 100,000. (And with me, once again being the extreme optimist, I'll go even lower. With the rates of new cases and deaths in the US starting to flatten out, suggesting we're beyond the point of exponential growth, one could reasonably suggest just from a dumb normal distribution statistics perspective that we're through about 10% of the deaths, which would put the US at ballpark 30k by the time it's controlled. If I wanted to callously gamble on it right now, I'd probably round up to 50k to be safe and put my money down.)

Herd immunity is red herring: that would need about 60% infected (200 million for the USA). Herd immunity without an overwhelmed health service is not going to happen within the timeframe before a vaccine is likely.
Check it from my perspective instead. You want 90 immunity, but that's only 10% that would ever test positive, and only like 5% of those would require medical treatment, so 0.5% of the population. Which would be more like 15 per 100,000. And like, that fits the real experience of what's going on. New York City had an unmitigated spike, so they're basically hitting that 15 all at once and overwhelming the 7-10 you suggest would be available, but within the limit that outside help can handle the overflow. The rest of the country, to my knowledge, isn't showing signs of exceeding capacity. Mitigating efforts (and likely natural distancing in less urban places) flattened the curve enough everywhere else.

Let's check my logic one more way. I expect 10% of people to become infected with the virus, and I'm also ballparking we're 10% through the bell curve. That means at the end, we'd expect 30 million people infected in the US. We've positively tested 160k. 10x 160k is 1.6 million. Which puts my guesses off one another by about 20x. But with months of not testing, and many reports of people not being tested if they don't require treatment, that 5% hospitalization rate is looking like a pretty convenient number right now.

Lil devils x said:
Excuse me? Exactly what have I stated that was not accurate?
That the virus could reasonably be contained long enough that herd immunity wouldn't be a factor. That is what you've said that isn't accurate.

I am not the one having issues admitting the problem right now, if you think for a second that Trump has been doing what we needed to have done then you really should do some self reflection about now.
I don't think Trump has been doing everything that should have been done. I don't think no mistakes were made. There's definitely irony in you criticizing the administration for sending PPE to China (as though it was a cash grab) during the height of their infection while praising China for using that PPE. But I think Trump's initial ideas of containing the epidemic perpetually were as naive early on as they are if someone suggests that now. Suggesting it would just disappear was stupid. I'd have preferred the mobilization of industry a bit sooner, there's better leadership that could be done than just telling people repeatedly to follow CDC guidance. I don't actually believe Trump is withholding aid from states based on which Governors he likes, it's almost a certainty that the supplies are going out based on where the cases are, and the places with less desperate times feel short-changed by Washington; but Trump shouldn't be butting heads with these governors and making their complaints look justified. He's done plenty wrong.

But he's not "the problem". It's a pandemic. It's natural disaster. The harm can be mitigated by preparation and response, but it's coming in some form no matter who is in charge. If you think Donald Trump is the problem in a global pandemic, you've let politics cloud your vision.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Smithnikov said:
Country roads...
Take me home...
To the place...
Where I belong

(Quarantine, that's where)

Fieldy409 said:

Not double checked this yet and yes it's a meme but handy way to figure out all the cases in the world quickly.
Well, that's funny...in a quietly terrifying sort of way...

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Hawki said:
Smithnikov said:
Country roads...
Take me home...
To the place...
Where I belong
Don't mix West Virginians into this.

Personally I've got cabin fever and I'm rather close to losing it (I guess). They just announced restaurants and bars will be closed until the end of May, effectively ending my slim hopes of social life until summer.

For the longest time I thought that I was immune to this sort of thing, like actually getting into terrible mental shape, despite being rather unhappy with my life, but it seems like I along with the rest of the world was not prepared for a pandemic of this caliber.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Silvanus said:
Agema said:

All valid points, but how much of the gap between 100 and 30,000 per unit is really going to be covered by all that?

The sheer numbers might be misleading there. But the core points stand-- that medical equipment is sold at exhorbitantly higher prices than necessary; that acute shortages are exacerbated by this; and that sheer profiteering accounts for a significant chunk of that difference.
A lot of that is quality. Even before the crisis, the smaller ambulance ventilators had been around 6000, not 30000. And even those are far more complicated and sophisticated than that emergency ventilator. Because before the crisis the idea was that if you really need a ventilator, it should not be a mediocre one that might not actually help. It is only now that people try to make as many ventilators as fast as possible without regard for performance or extra features like monitoring units.