Corvid-19 and its impact (name edit)

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Marik2 said:
I honestly think this thing is going to last at least a year in murica. As soon as the virus has been curbed enough to not overwhelm doctors, people are just going to quickly get out of their homes and repeat the infection process.
I think it will last until a vaccine arrives.

The aim needs to be to control the initial exposion of cases, which we're doing now. After that, I think we'll be let out of our homes (~3 months) but they'll be much more aggressive with testing and maintaining social distancing protocols to keep further spread controlled, up until there's a vaccine made.

As a tangent, I noticed there's an ad cropping up on the Escapist for something called "Sterilize-X" - a UV lamp you can stick in your room which will (allegedly) kill bacteria and viruses. It's obviously useless - there's no way it has sufficient power output and it won't be at the right UV wavelength anyway. If it were any use, an effective dose of germicidal UV light would also cause you skin irritation and, ultimately, skin cancer. UV sterilisation is a thing, but not whilst unprotected humans are present.

There are always some fucking scumbags trying to rip you off.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
tstorm823 said:
I don't think Trump has been doing everything that should have been done...

But he's not "the problem". It's a pandemic. It's natural disaster. The harm can be mitigated by preparation and response, but it's coming in some form no matter who is in charge. If you think Donald Trump is the problem in a global pandemic, you've let politics cloud your vision.
Trump is as much a problem as the office of the President could be in a pandemic situation. The reason the US is in the current state it is in is because a complete lack of competence from EVERYONE at the top, from the President to Congress to the heads of the hospitals themselves. No one did anything in the month+ we had to prepare. I work IT for hospitals and we were literally getting laptops imaged and apped for people that can work from home the week the shelter-in-place orders were enacted when we could've been doing that the entire month of February. If any industry should be listening to the medical experts (who accurately predicted exactly when this would hit the US), it should be the health care industry and they totally didn't listen and were unprepared. Nobody at the top of anything took the virus serious and we are paying the price.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Why is the gubmint so bad at doing its own job? Isn't it supposed to always be prepared for any national threat? It only acts AFTER the damage has been done.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Marik2 said:
Why is the gubmint so bad at doing its own job? Isn't it supposed to always be prepared for any national threat? It only acts AFTER the damage has been done.
When have you seen a government ever prepare BEFORE a disaster? Germany might be a good example from this crisis, but preparing is NOT the normal thing for a government

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
trunkage said:
Marik2 said:
When have you seen a government ever prepare BEFORE a disaster? Germany might be a good example from this crisis, but preparing is NOT the normal thing for a government
Well it should be prepared for the worst. Doesn't murica have countless counterattacks on simulated war scenarios, in case any country decides to invade? It should at least be prepared for almost every natural disaster and pandemic that hits our sacred borders. I guess I am just tired of seeing so much of our tax money being used for supposed boogeyman scenarios, and not investing in mitigating real natural occurrences.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Marik2 said:
trunkage said:
Marik2 said:
Well it should be prepared for the worst. Doesn't murica have countless counterattacks on simulated war scenarios, in case any country decides to invade? It should at least be prepared for almost every natural disaster and pandemic that hits our sacred borders. I guess I am just tired of seeing so much of our tax money being used for supposed boogeyman scenarios, and not investing in mitigating real natural occurrences.
You forgot one thing. These were written by experts. You know, experts - evil, Fake News ideologues who are out to destroy the country. Those plans can only make things worse and are only good as TP.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
trunkage said:
Marik2 said:
trunkage said:
Marik2 said:
You forgot one thing. These were written by experts. You know, experts - evil, Fake News ideologues who are out to destroy the country. Those plans can only make things worse and are only good as TP.
And don't forget - they are 'agenda-driven'.
Because wanting to prevent crises in human society or the biosphere is clearly an 'agenda' that is full of bias and therefore irrational and prone to logical failings.

The only truly enlightened un-biased way is centrism. Sure, hear from the experts in their field, but give equal weight and consideration to the lobbyists whose financial interests are threatened by that reality - it's the rational thing to do.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Marik2 said:
The government is generally good at keeping the day-to-day running of the state ticking over. They even have processes for modest-sized crises in operation (e.g. FEMA) which should kick in an automatically sort some stuff out. In theory, your average national leader could do nothing and the country would still be okay 5 years later... as long as nothing major enough occurred. That's basically what the civil service and institutions of government are for.

When it does need intervention, everyone's at the mercy of whoever is running the place because they need to to direct the the government to processes outside the normal range. Unfortunately, the USA had Donald J. Trump and his chaotic administration - it's not exactly what you'd want for sober, well-considered foresight in the face of loomign crisis. And let's bear in mind there are countries that have done as badly or worse than the USA. The UK government was also complacent and lazy, plus it has made conspicuously sluggish and weak efforts to change gear and get moving in numerous ways[footnote]It's worth noting even the slavishly Tory-friendly press has been critical - that's a major warning sign for the UK government that it is being found wanting[/footnote]. At the bottom you could have Jair Bolsonaro, president of Brazil, who's refusing to do anything and telling his population to "man up" and die.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Things are bad and our authority figures could have done a better job at mitigating something they saw coming a mile away, but this is not as bad as other severe pandemics that humanity has faced in the past. Back then, you had to wait a few years for the virus to just stop, and vaccinations were not really a thing.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Marik2 said:
Things are bad and our authority figures could have done a better job at mitigating something they saw coming a mile away, but this is not as bad as other severe pandemics that humanity has faced in the past. Back then, you had to wait a few years for the virus to just stop, and vaccinations were not really a thing.
Well, yes it was much shittier in the old days. However, I'm not sure why that makes the failures of numerous people in power today any better.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Marik2 said:
Can't say that yet. It's been only a handful of months it's existed. You might be comparing finished stories to something that just begun.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/03/827121928/medicare-for-all-coronavirus-patients-but-who-exactly-qualifies

NPR twisting itself into pretzels trying to make an expansion of medicare sound like a bad and complicated thing compared pushing people into private healthcare through ACA.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Thaluikhain said:
Fieldy409 said:
Has anyone mentioned worldwide cases of Covid-19 are over a million now?
IceForce said:
Number of confirmed cases worldwide just surpassed 1 meeellion people.

That was post 381, so 9 before your own.
Yeah c'mon, I even used a Dr Evil face to make it stand out more.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
crimson5pheonix said:
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/03/827121928/medicare-for-all-coronavirus-patients-but-who-exactly-qualifies

NPR twisting itself into pretzels trying to make an expansion of medicare sound like a bad and complicated thing compared pushing people into private healthcare through ACA.
Is anything in that article factually wrong or do you just not like it?

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Avnger said:
crimson5pheonix said:

Is anything in that article factually wrong or do you just not like it?
Yes, saying that it's simpler and easier to go through private healthcare enrollment processes than it is to just have Medicare pay for anyone who asks.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Seems like the US is finally taking measures to get protective equippment.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-masks/u-s-big-bucks-turn-global-face-mask-hunt-into-wild-west-idUSKBN21L253

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/02/global-battle-coronavirus-equipment-masks-tests