Could a sniper kill Magneto?

Jan 29, 2009
I'm pretty sure that the amount of ferro-magnetic material that composes a projectile such as that would be very little, but I'll give Magneto the benefit of the doubt (he lifted a bridge, I think he can stop a bullet).

Anyways, if he is calm and unaware, he's dead. If he has any way to expect it, the sniper is dead.

crepesack

May 20, 2008
Iron Mal said:
Well, seeing as he is the 'Master of Magnetism' (as in he has control and influence over magnetic fields) that doesn't nessercarily give him a mastery over all metals (something I always found weird in the films).

Not all metals are magnetic (if I remember correctly from school, only Iron, Steel, Nickel and Cobalt are) so it's very easy to assume that not only could you shoot him with a sniper bullet, you probably could do it with most bullets (I'll give Adamantium a free pass in this because that is a fictional substance so it could very well be magnetic).

So 'Master of Magnetism' wouldn't suddenly mean you are the master of all that is metal (that power belongs to Iron Maiden) and it definately wouldn't make you immune to assassination.
All metals and all polar substances and diamagnetic substances are affected by magnetic fields (read: everything is affected my magnets)

Also...yes...But I think later on he's probably well aware that there are people trying to kill him non stop so he eat, breathes, and sleeps magnetic field all the time 24/7. Keeping a shield up is probably natural to him.

I'm certain though you could kill him from REALLY REALLY far away with a rail gun firing an electro magnetic round though.... An anti aircraft laser would work too....I think super powers exist in a world without the actual tools that exist that can easily take out a human.

Edit: Also diamond is diamagnetic so it certainly is easily repelled.

Alaster Angelo

Jul 12, 2010
Might work on movie Magneto, who's basically just a human with the exception of his powers, I don't recall any way to determine if he can detect metal from that far away and react to it in seconds. It's been a while since I've watched any X-Man movie, though, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Comic Magneto is an entirely different story. He's blocked a blast from Galactus, and has extremely inhuman reactions. A sniper round shouldn't do much. The sniper would end up being hung with his own gun.

nicholaxxx

Jun 30, 2009
BiH-Kira said:
I always wondered why they didn't simply make the bullet out of something else and kill him from afar, but than again, I always wondered how he could affect metals which aren't affected by magnetism.

So yeah, logic has no place at all in that movie.
he's the master of magnetism, so couldn't he just give a metal magnetism for his purposes?

though I suppose that you mean he could give like plastic or some shit a magnetic field...

oh well, comic logic is... fun?

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
I don't know much about X-Men but yes this seems logical. on the basis he doesn't see you you xould probably kill him if he was completely oblivious or summin. Alternativly just shoot a very sharp woooden bullet aimed precisely at his head.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Meatramen said:
Nasty_Taco said:
Meatramen said:
Depends, he is aware that a lot of people hate him, so he might have a strong magnetic field around him at all times... However they could make the bullet out of something other than metal and BOOM, headshot. :)
Magneto gains regular old TK in the comics, so he can move metal and alot of other stuff as well... So he might have a better chance of stopping that non-metal bullet.

OT: The man's amazing. He can fly through space, create portals to different dimensions and lift a 30,000 ton nuclear sub out of the water. I don't think he'll be killed by a simple sniper.
Since I am no real X-men geek, except for like... The old cartoon and some movies, I did not know those things. ^^ I guess if he is that powerful my argument would be quite invalid.
Another way in which Magneto frequently uses his power is the projection of force-fields which selectively block out matter and energy. These fields are strong enough to withstand the detonation of multiple thermonuclear weapons; hence Magneto is invulnerable to most harm when surrounded by his shield and can survive in deep space thanks to it.
From Wikipedia.

As long as he is awake, I think he's going to project those shields, especially at such a low rate to repel a single bullet.
Killing him is most likely only doable like that in his sleep..Though maybe he subconsciously projects?

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
Well, if he did die, then his daughter would freak out and make everything null and void...and probably REALLY fucked up.

Mr.Numbers

Jan 15, 2011
He couldn't stop the bullet with magnetism anyway, unless it was armour piercing, as bullets are non magnetic metals called...Wait for it...Lead?
MostlyHarmless said:
Deadpool could do it.

I say we call the Mythbusters.
James Bond watch episode did it.

Viral_Lola

Jul 13, 2009
Valkyira said:
MrJKapowey said:
Valkyira said:
Kapol said:
Meatramen said:
Depends, he is aware that a lot of people hate him, so he might have a strong magnetic field around him at all times... However they could make the bullet out of something other than metal and BOOM, headshot. :)
Pretty much this. Though I think he can 'sense' metal in a way, which means that he'd sense the bullet coming at him and be able to stop it. I say that mainly based on the second movie where he 'senses' the iron in the guard's bloodstream and tears it out of him.
You do realise bullets aren't made of metal, right?
Yes they are. I've fired rifles and I can tell you that bullets are made of metal.

OT:

If you shot him with a diamond bullet it'd end a lot of problems...
Casings are metal the actual bullets are made of lead.
Lead is a metal. The diamond bullet seems doable though and they already used it in the Xmen universe. Someone shot Emma Frost with a diamond bullet.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
lol what a fun and interesting thread...

gotta agree with people who point out that not all metals are magnetic...hmmmm

Chezza

Feb 17, 2010
Ok from reading some info from previous comments apparently Magneto has more power to manipulate various elements rather than just metal, and his radius is practically covers the entire world. According to the comic books anyway... Basically it allows him to detect when someone merely has the intention to kill him or something along those lines :/

No idea he was suppose to be THAT powerful.

Regardless, biological warfare should do that trick. Poison the food supplies of an entire state :p

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Meatramen said:
Realitycrash said:
Meatramen said:
Nasty_Taco said:
Meatramen said:
Magneto gains regular old TK in the comics, so he can move metal and alot of other stuff as well... So he might have a better chance of stopping that non-metal bullet.

OT: The man's amazing. He can fly through space, create portals to different dimensions and lift a 30,000 ton nuclear sub out of the water. I don't think he'll be killed by a simple sniper.
Since I am no real X-men geek, except for like... The old cartoon and some movies, I did not know those things. ^^ I guess if he is that powerful my argument would be quite invalid.
Another way in which Magneto frequently uses his power is the projection of force-fields which selectively block out matter and energy. These fields are strong enough to withstand the detonation of multiple thermonuclear weapons; hence Magneto is invulnerable to most harm when surrounded by his shield and can survive in deep space thanks to it.
From Wikipedia.

As long as he is awake, I think he's going to project those shields, especially at such a low rate to repel a single bullet.
Killing him is most likely only doable like that in his sleep..Though maybe he subconsciously projects?
I think I just got my new favourite mutant... Although I was all ready leaning towards him after watching X-Men First Class.
Eh, read his "powers"-section in Wikipedia. He's pretty OP.

Fun fact: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetism - The strongest of the four fundamental interacting-forces in the universe.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Viral_Lola said:
Valkyira said:
MrJKapowey said:
Valkyira said:
Kapol said:
Meatramen said:
Pretty much this. Though I think he can 'sense' metal in a way, which means that he'd sense the bullet coming at him and be able to stop it. I say that mainly based on the second movie where he 'senses' the iron in the guard's bloodstream and tears it out of him.
You do realise bullets aren't made of metal, right?
Yes they are. I've fired rifles and I can tell you that bullets are made of metal.

OT:

If you shot him with a diamond bullet it'd end a lot of problems...
Casings are metal the actual bullets are made of lead.
Lead is a metal. The diamond bullet seems doable though and they already used it in the Xmen universe. Someone shot Emma Frost with a diamond bullet.
If he can deflect a nuclear explosion, he can deflect a diamond bullet. It's clear that it's more of a "forcefield" than a "magnetic deflector".

Adrian Neyland

Apr 20, 2011
If he is unaware of the bullet then yes, he would know that there was a bullet until it hits him, the it is too late.

Vandenberg1

May 26, 2011
Tesral said:
Kapol said:
Meatramen said:
This reminds me of that bit in Final Fantasy 8 with the worlds worst assassin, Irvine Kinneas.

I guess if he can only survive all those bullets by actively deflecting them, rather than passively tanking them like, say, Superman would, a surprise attack could work.
epic comment..then again he had gravity bullets...

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I rmemeber once that some x men comic nerd (and thats not even the right word, this guy was obsessed to the point of it was actually harmful to him) who had been into the serious since it first came out (I didnt know the guy, so I had to take his bragging at face level) was saying something like this a few years back after third x men movie came out and how magneto was invincible.

Then some kid around my age at the time reference Elfin Lied, and that a tungsten bullet fired at a high enough speed at the just right range would kill him, because eventually he would have to sleep, and even if he didnt, he would have gaps in the defense.

and the former just didnt have a response other then what boiled down to "nu uh, im right your wrong, im not listening anymore lalalalalalalalalalalalalala"