Could you kill someone if you had choice?

Ramare

Apr 27, 2009
Depends on the situation, amount of ammunition given, and the handgun given.

If the mastermind was far away, with a sniper rifle, he gave me a full clip, and it was something in .45 flavor, like an M1911, or USP, I would think about it. If there's cover between me and him, I would try for HIS life.

In the same situation, but given something that I hold as complete shite at a range, like a makarov, or a berretta, if chambered in .40 S&W; or with no cover between me and him, just a large, empty, dark room, I'd shoot the poor fellow.

If the mastermind was near me, but pointing the gun at me the whole time, I would consider my options. If he gave me something reliable, like a glock 18C, or maybe a glock .45, or an M9 chambered in 9mm, plus more than just one bullet, I'd try for the masterminds life.

But if all options point to no: No cover, one bullet, shite gun, that can only kill with a head shot, he is behind me, with a fully automatic assault rifle; I wouldn't shoot at all. I'd put the gun down, shed a single tear, kneel down, and snap the poor guys neck.
Guaranteed to kill him, looks more ruthless, and probably would make him suffer less than if I had shot him with the crappy gun. Especially if it was anything smaller than .357.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I don't think I could ever go through with killing someone. Especially if it were a case of their life vs mine. I feel I've accomplished everything I aim to accomplish, and so I don't feel a strong sense of self preservation.

Corporal Bill

Jun 23, 2010
AvsJoe said:
Yeah, I'd shoot him.

First I'd check how many bullets are in the gun (hopefully there's more than one ;p). I'd shoot the guy in the right kneecap, and take in the screams of pain as if they were the songs of the sirens. I'd let him cry for about 10 seconds before I shoot his other kneecap. I would wait until his screams die down before hitting him in the face with the butt of the gun; hard enough to break his nose but not hard enough to knock him unconscious or kill him. About 30 seconds will have passed by then.

Depending on how many bullets I had in the gun, I would use all but one in the next couple of seconds, shooting the guy in his stomach, left hand, and testicles. After a short wait I would press the busines end of the gun onto the man's skin (wherever's convenient) and watch his flesh sear and scald from the heat. At this time I would only have a few seconds left so I would point the gun at his face and stand silently for as long as I dare, letting the man soak in fear (unless he's too busy with his pain). Then I'd shoot him in whichever eye I choose at the time and watch him drop with a smile on my face. Of course this is all assuming at no point does he pass out; that would suck.

:D
Smells like copypasta to me

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
What'd they do? Who are they?

How do I know that this wasn't some coin-toss that landed this person on the ground and me with the gun, I could have easily have had my life in their hands. And call me weird, but I think I would want to know their name, if I was going to kill someone. If I'm going to selfishly take someone's life to protect my own I could at least have the decency to know the name of the person who kept me alive, essentially.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Defective_Detective said:
Are we assuming in this scenario that the Mastermind won't shoot after you've killed the person anyway?
Yeah, if the mastermind is stup-- crazy enough to do this (wich is a overly complicated setup, and there are beter ways to force ppl to choose "kill the victim", just check Milgram's experiments), chances are we will get shot in the face anyway in the end.
I would not shoot the helpless victim.

Tspoon

Jul 5, 2010
Cogwheel said:
No. Definitely, no. I could go as far as, say, kicking someone if my life depended on it. Which I would then feel guilty about for ages if they were in any way hurt. Kill someone? Never. I have my priorities and I'm far from being at the top of the list. Other people come first.

No, I'm not smart or practical. At all.
*Grabs rifle*

delta46

Dec 13, 2009
Mackheath said:
Danny Ocean said:
Mackheath said:
Don't care, I'd still kill them.
Even though it'd lead to chaos? Plus, if you did save him/her, you'd be remembered as a hero.
I'd still be dead though. And thats too permanent for me.
Did you get that from the Bartimaeus trilogy?

OP: I would do it but the decision would haunt me for the rest of my life

Carboncrown

Oct 17, 2009
Pretend to faint and take my chances against the mastermind. Or run like hell, it's pretty hard hit a moving target.

There's enough chance that neither of us are getting out of there just by complying.

Cheap answer? Maybe, but I like to think I wouldn't play the masterminds games. And there always the possybility that they're "just testing me".

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
dude, i cant kill a spider without feeling rotten about it. i dont know this guys potential, i mean, im pretty sure I wont save the world some day or solve world hunger but if it's a stranger then i just dont know, do I?

fgdfgdgd

May 9, 2009
Being a person of great apathy, i could, easily infact.

...does that make me a bad person?

Ninonybox_v1legacy

Apr 2, 2008
soooo....the masked man gave me a gun....Ok im just going to shoot the masked man, and because im a decent shot with a pistol i will be fine.

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
Carboncrown said:
Pretend to faint and take my chances against the mastermind. Or run like hell, it's pretty hard hit a moving target.

There's enough chance that neither of us are getting out of there just by complying.

Cheap answer? Maybe, but I like to think I wouldn't play the masterminds games. And there always the possybility that they're "just testing me".
i think if it is a test, than its likely that the right answer is to sacrifice yourself, but then again it depends on whos testing you i guess

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
i'd be surprised if people would say no ... now if i would recognize the person in some way, i'd shoot myself, but really, if i don't know em ... BLAT

SensibleCrout

Feb 23, 2010
If I take this scenario seriously the best thing you could do is throw yourself to the ground immediately, pulling the executee with you and then figuring out, where to crawl.

If you don't the evil mastermind would of course shoot you both. If you do it he would kill you because you are not going to be loyal after he put you in such an awful situatioen. And if you do not he would shoot the other guy, too, because he meant to kill him in the first place. In front of that analysis I would not take someone's life.

But what if I was 100% sure that the evil mastermind would let me go if I did it? I would like to say I would not do it, but I really can't predict what would happen in that kind of adrenaline-drugged state. I could become the moral hero or the super ruthless egoist. I just don't know.

Captain Incapable

Jan 7, 2010
Kill them.
If it's a complete stranger to me I'd kill them.
Survival Instincts. But that's not to say I would feel no remorse.