Court Shoots Down Bethesda's Scrolls Request

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Jibblejab said:
I wanted Bethesda to win, mostly because I have Notch with a fiery passion.
WHAT?!?

Dude! That's just... DUDE!

Listen, I don't know how you got a hold of Notch Persson, or what exactly your "firey passion" entails, but just because you 'have' him (probably in your secret love nest, no doubt), doesn't mean you should wish him defeat in the court of law.

I mean, it seems to me that he's got bigger problems, what with you 'having' him and all. I mean, God knows what horrible, nasty, things you're doing to him in your secret evil lair. Listen, I don't care about the lawsuit anymore, just let him go! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LET NOTCH GOOOOOOO!!

And the moral of this story is, always proofread your forum posts! ;)

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Despite that, the court ruled in favor of Mojang, saying that while there are similarities between Scrolls [http://www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Xbox-360/dp/B004HYK956/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318948845&sr=8-1], there are also significant differences, and the intended audience for these games are likely to be aware of these differences and, more to the point, unlikely to confuse them.
That was what I was thinking when this started. Out of any market, gamers are probably the most well informed.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
so, everything is going according to plan. this seems to work as a great publicity stunt!

Jun 11, 2008
-Dragmire- said:
Glademaster said:
Ah people already delighted at this kind of amuses me considering that Zenimax more or less had to sue for copyright laws reasons or it could lose the copyright. Just because people and companies do this doesn't mean that they always want to do it.
Do you know if they try to defend it(as they are) and lose, will they lose the trademark rights?

Seems like if they lost it would be harder to defend it if they needed to again.

Hybridwolf said:
Also really escapist? I've seen some bad titles, but this one is dire. It's condridicted by the first paragrapgh, and it's hardly shot down, as an appeal is still present. very baffeling...
It's just for generating traffic(ad revenue and all that stuff to keep the site up and people paid), at least the article itself is not misleading.
Yes if they don't they will lose it anyway and they won't lose trademark an agreement will be met as this will likely be settled out of court. This is just purely legal matters and people are way too sensationalist for attacking Zenimax and even worse when they think Bethesda is being a ****.

remmus

Aug 31, 2009
harmonic said:
3) Minecraft wouldn't have been as successful if it had not piggybacked off the popularity of Warcraft. "Craft" has name recognition. Now they get to piggyback off Elder Scrolls. I should make a new FPS franchise called "Medal of Duty." Titles are powerful, folks.
if it was a fantasy RTS then yes it could be claimed to piggyback ride on Warcraft, at tops the piggybacking is more about making people turn and look at it, but it´s popularity is still 99% based on being the right kind of game at the right time, not because it has Craft in parts of it´s title.

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
the biggest mistake people make is to assume that law has anything to do with common sense. hah, it really doesnt....
second mistake - you think bethesda gives a damn about notch and his scrolls? no, they do not. you think they see him as a threat?
now, i want you to try something, just say out loud "bethesda is afraid of notch and his scrolls". admit it, it just sound stupid.
third mistake - you think bethesda gives a damn if they win or lose that case? that is not even important to them, they have to sue them, because if they dont, other - real - companies (at this point notch can go ahead and play in sandpit) could use that incident in the court.

people, i like my minecraft just as much as i like elder scrolls, but for crying out loud, this isnt a debate about who is right and who is wrong. its just a standard procedure that simply has to happen because law is retarded - long live the law.

The_Vigilant

Jul 13, 2011
Antari said:
It is good to see the judge making an intelligent decision on the matter. I don't see myself confusing any of The Elder Scroll games with Scrolls from Mojang. A brain dead lawyer working for Zenimax however is a whole different story.
Trust me, the lawyers are only doing it because the executives asked them to. They'd much rather be relaxing in their plush offices writing new end user licensing agreements to strip you of the few rights you still possess.

Niccolo

Dec 15, 2007
Glademaster said:
Ah people already delighted at this kind of amuses me considering that Zenimax more or less had to sue for copyright laws reasons or it could lose the copyright. Just because people and companies do this doesn't mean that they always want to do it.
I wish people'd understand that. Hopefully the judge'll be smart enough to say something like "Yeah, this is close enough. Any closer and it'd probably be copyright infringement" or we'll be repeating this in a few months with someone else using this as precedent.

What also bugs me is when they say that it was Bethesda doing the suing - not Zenimax. Bethesda had absolutely no say in the suit; they're all designers. It's the suits in Zenimax who pay the lawyers.

Jibblejab

Apr 14, 2009
DanDeFool said:
Jibblejab said:
I wanted Bethesda to win, mostly because I have Notch with a fiery passion.
WHAT?!?

Dude! That's just... DUDE!

Listen, I don't know how you got a hold of Notch Persson, or what exactly your "firey passion" entails, but just because you 'have' him (probably in your secret love nest, no doubt), doesn't mean you should wish him defeat in the court of law.

I mean, it seems to me that he's got bigger problems, what with you 'having' him and all. I mean, God knows what horrible, nasty, things you're doing to him in your secret evil lair. Listen, I don't care about the lawsuit anymore, just let him go! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LET NOTCH GOOOOOOO!!

And the moral of this story is, always proofread your forum posts! ;)
Who said that was a typo? ;)

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
Karma's a *****, Bethesda. You had the chance to settle this with Notch outside of court, and you blew it.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Good. The whole idea was retarded anyway. I might as will sue someone for using the word "The" in their game because my game has that in it. Most people dont even call them "Elder Scrolls" games, mostly use Morrorwind, Oblivion or Skyrim to identify them anyway. Seriously, only the biggest retard on the planet would confuse the games.

If they called theirs "Elder Scrolls" then fair enough, but they used "Scrolls" which doesnt mean much on its own.

Phantom Echo

Mar 3, 2011
Eh, this is about par for the course.

The fact of the matter is that it's just as ridiculous that Mojang could get the word 'Scrolls' copyrighted as it would be if Bethesda won rights to control it. I, on the whole, am largely opposed to the idea that single-word names can be copyrighted in anything other than a 'Don't plagarize me' capacity.

When you have a game called Scrolls... then the copyright ought to be very, -very- specific to that exact game. Preventing the infringement of rights on behalf of artists and authors is important, after all.

But creating a system in which Scrolls could be owned by one group, and therefore its usage in any title anywhere might therefore constitute an infringement of copyright seems wrong to me.

I'm not an expert on international copyright laws, though. So it might make sense to someone else. But to me, if you didn't CREATE the word... or put together a chain of them creatively... I don't think that randomly slapping it onto something should qualify it as being 'yours'.

That's about as sensible as claiming ownership of everything you've ever licked.

In which case, there's probably a few exes you folks might want to go get back in touch with.

rustybroomhandle

Jun 21, 2011
Compatriot Block said:
rustybroomhandle said:
Need to knock you around with a silly-stick a bit too. It's common practice for trademarks to be filed to cover a bunch of different things. "The Elder Scrolls" for example has trademarks that cover its use in movies, books, sweatshirts, t-shirts, caps etc.
Actually, as far as the trademark for The Elder Scrolls goes...

Mojang's "scrolls" application is similarly scattershot, attempting to cover TV shows, radio programs, movies, education materials, clothing of all kinds, videogame consoles, toys, playing cards, puzzles, stand-alone game cabinets in addition to the videogame. The application encompasses four separate trademarks over the course of its weighty 300 words. Zenimax's "Elder Scrolls" patent application, by contrast, is a single sentence: "Pre-recorded CD's and DVD's featuring fantasy games."
That was written by someone who did half-assed research.

These are all for "The Elder Scrolls" and all by Zenimax:

IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Pre-recorded CD's and DVD's featuring fantasy games.

IC 025. US 022 039. G & S: Clothing, namely, T-shirts, shirts, sweatshirts, fleece pullovers; headwear, namely, hats.

IC 038. US 100 101 104. G & S: Providing on-line forums for transmission of messages among computer users concerning computer games. FIRST USE: 19950630. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19950630

IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment services, namely,[ providing on-line computer games; ] providing information on-line relating to computer games and computer enhancements for games;[ providing a web site featuring information related to fan club services ]. FIRST USE: 19950630. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19950630

I believe there's one for TV shows/movies too.

USPTO searches are free.

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
Who didn't see this happening? I mean, anybody with more than 10 brain cells can see that there's no similarity between "The Elder Scrolls" and "Scrolls" except for one word.

Ranting aside, I'm happy for Notch. Yes, there's still a lot more to go, but at least that part is over and done with. On to Stage Two.

remmus

Aug 31, 2009
harmonic said:
Knew someone would say this before I even posted. Like clockwork!

I said the word "as" in a key place. "It wouldn't be *AS* popular." That is quite different from "it wouldn't be popular."
and I´m still saying the fact it has craft in it´s name is so little of a impact in SALES I don´t even wanna say 1% of the sales is based on that, and since sales is how you measure popularity, I say you craft talk holds little ground.

remmus

Aug 31, 2009
harmonic said:
If it is only 0.1%, "it wouldn't be *AS* popular" is a correct statement.

Even so, you're underestimating the power of game titles. They can make or break a game. Hell, they can make or break anything that anyone sells. Warcraft has been a household name due to the success of Blizzard's Warcraft franchise. Then they made Starcraft, which was also wildly popular. Almost seems, so far, that Blizzard has a de-facto claim on ___craft. Therefore, there is a subtle psychological effect of naming your game ___craft due to the immense branding ___craft already had well before Notch even started making Minecraft. If you're just arguing for the severity, or lack thereof of naming it ___craft, then we can go in circles forever and ever as it's just conjecture about the varying subconscious effects from game titles.

I dont underestimate the power of game titles,but it is not a source of a piggyback success unless a player is so stupid he buys a game for it´s title and not it´s gameplay..you know the core of a game.

So yeah, still saying Minecraft would only really piggyback on it´s namesake if it was RTS too