Crimea's Attorney-General Inspires Anime-Style Fan-Art

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Does no one else think she looks totally dead inside in the photo used for this story? She looks like she's entering a fugue state and is about to seriously fuck some people up.

Qvar

OBJECTION!
Aug 25, 2013
DrunkenElfMage said:
I can see it. It probably doesn't help that her uniform has really exaggerated lines, making it look rather cartoonish. Reminds me a lot of Phoenix Wright.

Also, young attractive woman in a position of high authority? IN a relativelly small country that could be considered the underdog in a giant conflict? She already sounds like she is a character in an Anime.

Don't know how I feel about the fanart. In one way its inappropriate, in another, it clearly characterizes a situation that some people may or may not have a full grasp of. In a way, it changes the situation into clearer narrative, changing one of the random politicians involved into someone that people have empathy for.

In any case, I kind of find it fascinating.
Exactly, she looks like a cross between a Phoenix Wright prosecutor and an Advance Wars commander. Because she is a prosecutor. And cute. And her uniform looks kind of a military officer. It's not that far-fetched, really.

Thou it kind of both disgusts and makes me smile me how a seemigly random person can be picked for that way of idolization just by gathering those traits, even if she has never had the slightest relationship with japan, anime or anything of that.

Sleekit said:
i dunno what to think...how does this fit in with this sites "feminism" ?...she's a despot...and a 12 veteran of a public prosecutor...but ye still a despot...none of which is "cute"...

/facepalm
Those are some serious acusations you have there. Btw is being a prosecutor something inherently bad? I'll have to tell a friend of mine inmediately :D

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Eamar said:
She's also in her mid-thirties. Surely you see how repeatedly describing her as a "young lady" is needlessly patronising?
"young" is a relative term just being in her 30's doesn't preclude her from being assigned the descriptor in some cases. Though in this case she is actually older than the writer of the article.

In his defense she looks she's in high school.

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
I'm just not going to read the comments because of shitstorms and say she's an attractive woman.
Some of the artwork is pretty good, and, I'll admit it, kinda adorable.

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
DrOswald said:
PirateRose said:
I'm not sure what's worse. Being a woman in a position of power & being called cold, bossy, and bitchy. OR being a woman in a position of power & being called adorable, kawaii, and drawn into someone's fantasy, furry fetish.

Either way, what that woman is really saying, good or bad, is getting mostly ignored, dismissed, and not taken seriously in the slightest.
I would not say that. In fact, I had no idea this person even existed before this article. Now that I know that this person actually exists and is apparently near the center of this what has been going down I am interested in her position in this conflict. Even as I comment in this thread I am reading up on what this woman is really saying.

It is possible to find someone attractive on a physical level and still take them seriously.
That wasn't my point. My point is a woman in a position of power tends to be labeled a bunch of things and people overlook what she has to say.

The video that is linked in this article, that's being linked in many articles all over the net concerning the drawing phenomenon in Japan, has no English or Japanese translation. Most of the comments are in English or Japanese, all commenting on her appearance and not a thing she is saying. Most of the people, whether they know what she stands for or not, clearly do not care. She's just kawaii to them.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Sonichu said:
Qvar said:
Those are some serious acusations you have there. Btw is being a prosecutor something inherently bad? I'll have to tell a friend of mine inmediately :D
Abducted Activists "Tortured" by Crimean Forces
http://iwpr.net/report-news/abducted-activists-tortured-crimean-forces]

Crimean Tatar Community Mourns Death Of Tortured Local Activist
http://www.rferl.org/content/crimea-tatar-killing-ukraine-russia-annexation-minority/25301602.html
Those are still very serious accusations to be leveling against a person. I mean, she was the 5th choice for the spot. That doesn't exactly scream "highly trusted and influential" to me. How much power does she really have in this situation? She might be someone in over their head trying to keep away from the gallows. Or she might be Hitler MK II. Or anywhere in between. Hell, for all we know she is trying to take down the establishment from the inside. We really don't know enough about her to make the call.

And I am still trying to figure why being a prosecutor for 12 years is bad. Especially considering she was an environmental prosecutor. Anti-pollution laws are so repressive!

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
wulf3n said:
Eamar said:
She's also in her mid-thirties. Surely you see how repeatedly describing her as a "young lady" is needlessly patronising?
"young" is a relative term just being in her 30's doesn't preclude her from being assigned the descriptor in some cases. Though in this case she is actually older than the writer of the article.
While I'd argue that her relative youth is irrelevant, it's not the word "young" itself that irks me, it's the phrase "young lady." As has already been pointed out, "young lady" is a phrase used for kids more than adults. Many women would feel patronised if someone described them that way. Plus, as I mentioned, the word "lady" can be a bit controversial on its own. If he absolutely had to mention her age, "young woman" would have preferable.

In his defense she looks she's in high school.
One would hope that someone writing a news story (even though I'm using "news" in the loosest possible sense here) would do some basic research. Particularly given that this woman is a prominent figure in one of the biggest current news stories in the world.

Qvar

OBJECTION!
Aug 25, 2013
Sonichu said:
Qvar said:
http://iwpr.net/report-news/abducted-activists-tortured-crimean-forces

http://www.rferl.org/content/crimea-tatar-killing-ukraine-russia-annexation-minority/25301602.html

http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21599407-some-crimeans-welcome-annexation-violence-not-far-surface-hugs-and-thugs

?The disappearance and murder of Reshat Ametov illustrates the climate of lawlessness that has been pervasive in Crimea over the last week,? said Rachel Denber, deputy Europe and Central Asia director at Human Rights Watch.
Right, excuse me while I throw shit at my own unstable-country-prosecutor's failures to mantain order.

She has been in that position for TEN (10) days. The very idea of anybody getting a hold of a whole region forces after such a short time makes me laugh. Specially when she was the sixth in the "line of succesion" to the possition, so to speak.

I think I'll wait some time more before deciding if we should burn the witch at the stake.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Eamar said:
wulf3n said:
Eamar said:
While I'd argue that her relative youth is irrelevant, it's not the word "young" itself that irks me, it's the phrase "young lady." As has already been pointed out, "young lady" is a phrase used for kids more than adults. Many women would feel patronised if someone described them that way. Plus, as I mentioned, the word "lady" can be a bit controversial on its own. If he absolutely had to mention her age, "young woman" would have preferable.
I think this is your own interpretation of the phrase "young lady" coming into play more than anything. To me "young woman" sounds far more patronizing. But that is because it is what my parents said to my sisters when they were in trouble.

I think you might be reading the connotations a bit heavily here, especially when plenty of people seem to completely disagree with your interpretation and in at least one opinion (mine) what you say would have been preferable ("young woman") would have been much worse.

You have to be careful with connotations.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Eamar said:
To each their own I guess. To me "woman" is more patronizing than "lady", as Lady infers a modicum of respect, where as woman is so basic it simply acknowledges the person exists, but does little else.

Eamar said:
One would hope that someone writing a news story (even though I'm using "news" in the loosest possible sense here) would do some basic research. Particularly given that this woman is a prominent figure in one of the biggest current news stories in the world.
I've come to not expect much in the way of actual journalism out of these "news" stories.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
DrOswald said:
I think you might be reading the connotations a bit heavily here, especially when plenty of people seem to completely disagree with your interpretation
With respect, I'd say that as a woman I might be in a slightly better position to judge. And besides, it's not like I'm the only one to bring it up, there have been quite a few people mentioning it.

and in at least one opinion (mine) what you say would have been preferable ("young woman") would have been much worse.
I actually said I thought her age was irrelevant. The really preferable thing to have said would have been just "woman."

Indeed you do. Look, I'm not getting properly offended by the wording or anything, but these words and phrases undeniably do have some baggage, to the extent that the AP Stylebook (basically the style Bible for the American press) says:
"lady: Do not use as a synonym for women. Lady may be used when it is a courtesy title or when a specific reference to fine manners is appropriate without patronizing overtones."
Now admittedly the Escapist isn't exactly a broadsheet newspaper, but the point is the idea that "lady" isn't really appropriate in a news story and in this context isn't just some new idea that a few over-zealous forum dwellers are jumping on.

Perhaps my expectations are getting too high - it just felt unprofessional to me.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
wulf3n said:
To each their own I guess. To me "woman" is more patronizing than "lady", as Lady infers a modicum of respect, where as woman is so basic it simply acknowledges the person exists, but does little else.
Interesting... do you feel the same way about "man"? Genuinely interested, because I (and plenty of other women, though plenty do also disagree) can't stand the word "lady" precisely because of the whole extra respect/politeness thing. It harks back to the days when women were considered more dainty and delicate and requiring of extra special manners than men. "Woman" may be basic, but it's exactly what I am, no added implications or social connotations. I don't see the need for a word to add any more - surely that would come from the rest of the article or conversation?

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
I wouldn't call this 'sexism' like so many others are only too happy to, but you'd have to be daft to think the attention came from anything other than the fact that she's an attractive young lady in a position of power.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Eamar said:
DrOswald said:
I think you might be reading the connotations a bit heavily here, especially when plenty of people seem to completely disagree with your interpretation
With respect, I'd say that as a woman I might be in a slightly better position to judge. And besides, it's not like I'm the only one to bring it up, there have been quite a few people mentioning it.

and in at least one opinion (mine) what you say would have been preferable ("young woman") would have been much worse.
I actually said I thought her age was irrelevant. The really preferable thing to have said would have been just "woman."

Indeed you do. Look, I'm not getting properly offended by the wording or anything, but these words and phrases undeniably do have some baggage, to the extent that the AP Stylebook (basically the style Bible for the American press) says:
"lady: Do not use as a synonym for women. Lady may be used when it is a courtesy title or when a specific reference to fine manners is appropriate without patronizing overtones."
Now admittedly the Escapist isn't exactly a broadsheet newspaper, but the point is the idea that "lady" isn't really appropriate in a news story and in this context isn't just some new idea that a few over-zealous forum dwellers are jumping on.

Perhaps my expectations are getting too high - it just felt unprofessional to me.
First of all, the "young" part is entirely relevent - it is half the reason she is getting so much attention, and reporting on that attention is the intention of this article. So it would be strange, and bad reporting in my eyes, to not mention the fact that she is unusually young for the position.

And bowing to the authority of the AP Stylebook is a bit problematic. For example, according the the 2007 guide the correct word would have been "female." I don't know about you, but hearing "young female" sounds like a reference to cattle or a dog. Thankfully that one has been reversed, and we are back to woman now.

Getting uppity about a swap between two recognized synonyms seems to be taking political correctness a bit far. To me this just seems to be an extension of the more than vs over "controversy."

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Eamar said:
Interesting... do you feel the same way about "man"? Genuinely interested, because I (and plenty of other women, though plenty do also disagree) can't stand the word "lady" precisely because of the whole extra respect/politeness thing.
I do prefer the term gentleman over man, but I don't necessarily see it as disrespectful to be called man, just that being called gentleman shows some level of respect. Same goes with woman and lady.

Eamar said:
It harks back to the days when women were considered more dainty and delicate and requiring of extra special manners than men. "Woman" may be basic, but it's exactly what I am, no added implications or social connotations. I don't see the need for a word to add any more - surely that would come from the rest of the article or conversation?
I can understand where you're coming from regarding what constituted a lady in the days of old, and how those "values" are no longer relevant in modern society. I suppose I just ignore that part and see the word as the polite way to refer to a woman you don't know the name of.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Eamar said:
wulf3n said:
Interesting... do you feel the same way about "man"? Genuinely interested, because I (and plenty of other women, though plenty do also disagree) can't stand the word "lady" precisely because of the whole extra respect/politeness thing. It harks back to the days when women were considered more dainty and delicate and requiring of extra special manners than men. "Woman" may be basic, but it's exactly what I am, no added implications or social connotations. I don't see the need for a word to add any more - surely that would come from the rest of the article or conversation?
But "woman" does have implications and social connotations. It's always "Woman, get me a sandwich!" and "Women belong in the kitchen!". Many have argued that the very construction of the word itself is sexist, implying that with out a man a woman is not complete. And yet I can completely see your point - the very respect of the term "lady" could be seen as special treatment and therefore patronizing. It is a bit of a minefield.

Man is a bit of a different situation from woman because there is only the one word. There is no "lady" equivalent for men anymore - it used to be lord, but those terms have diverged so much that they have no practical relationship. I guess the closest thing would be "gentleman", and if the sex was reversed gentleman would be fine with me, if a bit formal. But it still isn't a 1-1 relationship with lady which is used far less formally then gentleman.