Critical Heights

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Honestly, if THAT is the "highest award possible", then I as developer would feel a bit insulted, actually. Because unless your name is "Halo" or "Metroid", a FPS belongs to PC and not on a console, god dangit!

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Hahaha, can't stop laughing.
Love your stuff guys.
Keep at it.
[sub][sub]my face hurts from grinning so much.[/sub][/sub]

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
I have not heard of this game.
Can anyone tell me why it stands out as a game you would want on a console?

Anyway,
:) funny comic. I like this build up style.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
My friend is playin a Zombie FPS on his phone...
Now I am not sure I understood this comic -.-

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Bindal said:
Honestly, if THAT is the "highest award possible", then I as developer would feel a bit insulted, actually. Because unless your name is "Halo" or "Metroid", a FPS belongs to PC and not on a console, god dangit!
Yeah and native Americans belong on their goddamn reservations!

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Elois said:
People used to regard consoles the same way, just saying.
Welcome to the Escapist, you'll soon find out that consoles are still viewed that way here.

OT: Great comic, I did see something of the sort coming, but still great. I have to agree though, touch screen controls work for a lot of games, but some games all but require mouse and keyboard, some games work great with controllers. Just the way thing goes. Now when it comes to RTS I think that touch screen controls could rival mouse controls.

JJShaw

Dec 19, 2011
Suchong + bow tie: awesomeness^2

I found a typo though... you wrote "on an actual console", whereas you meant to write "on PC, not some kiddie toybox for retards"

minor mistype, but still.

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
Now do one where she gives a console FPS the highest award it can get: the "I WISH THIS WAS ON A PC WITH A PROPER FPS CONTROL SCHEME" award.

Mokuren

Feb 19, 2009
Yopaz said:
Elois said:
Welcome to the Escapist, you'll soon find out that consoles are still viewed that way here.
With good reason, I believe.

I'm no FPS professional and nowhere near the "good" mark, even, but playing a game of that kind on a console has always alienated me.

I can't even begin to fathom how anyone could make a FPS on a mobile device without forcibly dumbing everything down to the point it becomes a rail shooter with frills.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Mokuren said:
Yopaz said:
Elois said:
With good reason, I believe.

I'm no FPS professional and nowhere near the "good" mark, even, but playing a game of that kind on a console has always alienated me.

I can't even begin to fathom how anyone could make a FPS on a mobile device without forcibly dumbing everything down to the point it becomes a rail shooter with frills.
If I wanted to be a troll here and I really wanted to annoy you, I still couldn't bring myself to say that console controllers EVER could live up to mouse and keyboard. I tried playing Halo Reach and while it could possibly be a good game the controls just don't do it for me. It's a shame that some games with shooter mechanics are console exclusives because even if they're great I wont be able to fully enjoy it without a mouse and keyboard. Both accuracy and speed is off, auto aim only makes me annoyed. I haven't tried any touch screen fps games, but I'd rather keep it that way too.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
Bindal said:
Even Halo and Metroid are games I would've loved to purchase on PC because it's essentially where first person shooters belong, similar to how arcade fighters do best with d-pads/analog sticks. It would be nothing short of SCARY to see what a professional Halo player could do armed with a mouse and aim-assist disabled.

But as far as Microsoft is concerned Halo is an essential tool to get people to buy an XBox, similarly to how Mario/Zelda/etc games are essential tools to get people to buy Nintendo's sequential junk consoles.

BroJing

Sep 16, 2010
I really don't understand why people get so wound up about PC vs Console FPS', yes the PC controls are definately more responsive but that doesn't stop Console games being enjoyable. They are usually designed around this exact limitation.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
BroJing said:
I really don't understand why people get so wound up about PC vs Console FPS', yes the PC controls are definately more responsive but that doesn't stop Console games being enjoyable. They are usually designed around this exact limitation.
Limitations aside, it still raises questions as to why things are exclusive to platforms where they don't belong. Imagine if an arcade fighter (say...Street Fighter XI) was PC exclusive. "It's still enjoyable!" people would claim, but would you not ask a whole bunch of questions as to why such a thing was done?

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
Enough with the devisive commentary folks. Mobile, console, or pc, it doesnt matter as long as they're playing. This need to feel superior to your neighbour only damages gaming culture as a whole. If you wanna play your FPS on a console so be it. Enjoy. I prefer PC if only because I've been using that control scheme for almost 15 years. However, some of my finest gaming memories involve Golden Eye. It's like watching an impressionist claim their approach is a truer artform than surealism.

tl:dr Same team people. Watch your friendly fire.

Sep 13, 2009
Aaron Sylvester said:
Even Halo and Metroid are games I would've loved to purchase on PC because it's essentially where first person shooters belong, similar to how arcade fighters do best with d-pads/analog sticks. It would be nothing short of SCARY to see what a professional Halo player could do armed with a mouse and aim-assist disabled.
I disagree 100% with Metroid, mainly on the basis that it's not really a first person shooter. A game like that with locking on would not work well at all. They'd have to change up the entire control scheme and basically just turn it into an regular fps if they wanted it on the PC

OT(ish): There are amazing games on Android?! Where? I haven't even found anything I'd warrant calling "okay"