Critical Miss: #22

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
A Blade Runner reference and a Pulp reference in one comic? Glorious. I'll give a similar speech if proper gaming does die at the hands of Wii Sports and Facebook.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Seriously surprised by how many people haven't seen Blade Runner here... It's one of the all time best and it has one of the greatest endings ever.

Great comic :3

David_G

Aug 25, 2009
Again, my feelings of superiority over some of the Escapist members are reinforced by the fact that I'm 14 years old, and even I've seen Blade Runner and I understood all of the references in the comic (just kidding about that superiority part :D).

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Despite having read like every book by Philip K Dick, I have yet to see Blade Runner (I blame Harrison Ford, myself), and this entire comic was lost on me. I got the Starcraft reference, and sort of the Quake thing (A rail gun could be from many places, though he IS wearing a quake shirt soooo) but the overall point was empty, which is kind of a shame.

On one hand, things like this that use references a lot are really cool when you get them and can be very clever. On the other hand, they should also be able to stand alone (some excellent examples being a lot of stuff in Arrested Development, and the "No Country For Old Men" scene in the Truth Serum episode of Testees). While it's great for people who get the joke, it shouldn't alienate all others if you want to reach the entire audience. If you can manage to make references and keep something humorous or engaging for everyone who reads it, then you're on top.

Dammit, I don't want this to sound negative, but no matter how often I go over it, I don't like the way it reads. Just know I'm just trying to say, this one can be a bit of an off-putter, have a little food for thought, but keep doing what you're doing! I'm certainly still enjoying it!

EDIT: On the other hand, I forgot to read the music quote this week, and I totally dig Pulp, can't believe I missed that!

NoseDigger

Aug 25, 2009
Wow at the amount of people who didn't get it. I'm shocked. I only wish I could have such cool final words.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
That damn dog! I hope he gets put down somehow in the fighting.

The Hardcore/Casual Wars make for some good comics - I could see at least a few more made on that premise. Good stuff.

And Blade Runner's awesome - if you haven't seen it, go rent it or something, ASAP.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
This is by far my favourite Critical Miss so far :D I am an absolute sucker for Blade Runner references, though. Brilliant. :D

Hat Man

Nov 18, 2009
I've seen Blade Runner, but it still didn't help me get the joke.

I still don't get it.

Duffy13

May 18, 2009
I guess this one was too subtle, I'll explain it as I find the idea worth a deeper chuckle:

This comic is a continuation of the previous Hardcore vs Casual comics, with the death of the Hardcore character mimicking Roy's death at the end of Blade Runner. The implication is that the Hardcore are passing and that all he has seen will be forgotten and inevitably lost to the oncoming crowd of Casuals who ultimately have his group to thank for what they have. In the movie the question was "What is it to be Human?" whereas as the comic is asking "What is it to be a Gamer?".

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
isent the duck something with deadly if it hits water or something? meaning they choose to kill everyone instead of the casuals...i dont know find out yourself

edit: nice note on the bottom...

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
snowman6251 said:
Nimzar said:
I've seen it the movie once. I enjoyed it. But I don't remember everything about the thing. Forgive me, my memory isn't infinite.
Same here. Seen the movie, enjoyed it while I watched it, then forgot most of the little details. The reference completely eluded me.
same to me, when they mentioned blade runner i had a slight rememberance of the quote